Health and Fitness April, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness April, 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 am

Quick update. The war with my body continues. Now my teeth hurt when I have food or liquid in my mouth (not the jaw, the teeth although the jaw is sore too.) And my period (the drop-a-day version) returned after being away for only 8 days. Sigh...

As for mood, I'm recovering from having my sister here. I really deserve a gold star. Dh just goes into another room to avoid her (although the one time they were home alone together, he sat in the same room but read.) For me, it is a love/hate relationship. I love her because she is my sister, she is the only one in the world who remembers my parents the way I did, and because she loves me for the same reasons. I hate almost everything else about her. There is the competition (she has to be better at doing things or suffering things worse than anyone else.) She is completely negative. She is conceited and everything is about her. Having her know three people at my licensing and them making a fuss over seeing her again bugged me because that was supposed to be my moment.

At this point, I'm still having flashbacks to comments she made. It will get better again. This is the longest we've spent together since my dad died and she stayed up here while we were closing the house. That was 8 years ago.

It is telling, that her wife, who works still (my sister is retired) wanted my sister to be gone for the long weekend because she wanted the house to herself. As I've said before, I'm sure that marriage will not last.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 am

I'm starting a fresh post now in order to leave the negativity aside.

I'm trying to make the most of the new life I receive through the promise of Easter, so am focusing on getting healthier.

First step was to start posting again at the WW board I used to hang at. I haven't posted there for 5 years but my log-in still worked and I was welcomed back. I'm now hanging in the over 50s forum.

The second step is to find a WW meeting and to go back. That one is scarier since it involves a big time and money commitment. I can't go on Tuesday, when I'm in town anyway, because that is also the only day our hair stylist works. Actually, I'm annoyed because dh often books things for him that day. It makes sense as far as use of the car, but it means I no longer get my Sabbath after my volunteering, which was working well for me in the fall.

So, a meeting means a commitment to go back into the city one other day a week. My nearest WW centre doesn't have a meeting on Fridays which would be the next best choice for me, so I might end up driving miles and miles, or I might compromise even further. We'll see. That's next week's decision.

In the meantime, my weight is steady at 174, 7 pounds higher than it was before I went away (and my body started all this weird stuff.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

Kathryn, maybe you need a sensitive-teeth toothpaste. If it is ever the upper molars, consider sinus issues as a possibility. I am impressed you got through the houseguest visit with your sister as well as you did. I completely understand dh going into another room, since that would probably be best, to avoid any controversy he couldn't bear to let stand. This way, she leaves as your husband's friend, and he didn't react to things that would have caused discord. Still, he's your backup, and I know you'd have liked the dynamics better sometimes if he were present! Don't feel too funny about the familiarity your sister had with those at the event. From their point of view, it probably just pleases them to have another point of familiarity with YOU that they know a relative, and they gave her extra attention because it was a one-time-only moment to see her, as "company". Have a great WW experience!

Wednesday (two nights ago) I gave 50 minutes over to a recorded T-Tapp seminar on proper form and slow, more difficult movement. Lots of instruction while waiting :shock: in hard-to-hold positions. Very unforgiving, but interesting and good for me. That was a good day for all healthy habits, and I think the scale next morning was verging on allowing me another half-pound down, but I won't count it.

Then yesterday so much stress took my brain away for the last part of the day :roll: and I had been away so long that I was genuinely hungry, so I ate poorly, with too much sugars. I wasn't able to exercise because my neck hurt.

So I've had a balance of good and bad, lol, and ready to have more good! I did see concrete proof yesterday that if I don't lose some weight I will have to spend clothing money for sure. I have several of the same style of dark casual slacks that fit and have looked nice at this weight. But they were bought at the same time and now all seem to have the same problem. I'm not sure but I think the elastic parts at the waist were of cheap materials and are about to fail, losing elasticity. Sigh. Time to admit - lose the weight or spend time and money replacing somewhat hard-to-find wardrobe components.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 am

Heart Rate Monitor is working today (the wrist band receiver is broke but the treadmill has a receiver that works with this chest band.) I'm relieved to see that when I do my sprint, I'm still under 85% of the max heart rate so I can do that without worry.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 am

Glad to hear you are technologically mended :D and are happy with the numbers it's showing you, Kathryn!

I was happy with number at the doctor's the other day. 112 over 70 blood pressure even after traffic hysteria, parking confusion and in-building backtracking!!! The only thing I "take" that supposedly helps blood pressure is garlic. But I imagine weeks of rather regular exercise and calorie counting had me at a generally good state.

The meal of that chicken pot pie with dstepson did not do me any good. I think perhaps the way they get a reputation for good take-out is that the sodium level is sky high. (But dstepson was very happy and took half of the leftovers home.) Amazing that just the idea of dd's family visit can put weight on me when they don't even come! LOL!

A taco dd13 made for me yesterday may have been a lot more sodium-laden than the packaging of ingredients would lead readers to believe. Although I didn't even reach 1,000 on sodium by the computer count yesterday, this morning I was 1 pound over my last check-in here. Of course, I don't count that. I count only a down-tick of the scale and consider the rest waiting for the next half-pound down.

Last evening I exercised for 20 minutes.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Yesterday I was able to get in too good sized walks one with dgkids; and another with a friend so felt great about that last night evening!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 am

My scales showed 2 lbs down yesterday (after a week at the previous weight.) But when I went to record it, I realized it was only .5 lbs down since the same point of my last period. So, really, no progress yet to report. I wasn't expecting a big change in weight for a while since my body still is in a state of flux.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:41 am

Admitting to a problem is the first step.

I'm at step 1 today.

I have gained 7.8lbs this year.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am

Hurray, Kathryn, not just on .5 down, but also on seeing on the scale the explanation why your body was holding onto the other 1.5, as it leaves in its dramatic exit on a certain calendar morning. :roll: I know how frustrating that can be, but there's still a "Ta-Da" here. Hope it continues.

((OKay))
A couple pounds of that has to be water weight - no problem-o.
A silly fluctuation can be a pound or two, too - redeemable.
For a week you've been told "don't do much!" - temporary.

You can pull right out of this with skills you already know well - priceless.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 am

Last night I was able to get most of my walk in it started to rain a little so I shortened it up a bit.

Return to “Healthy Habits”