Health and Fitness June, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 am

Slept ok but not great. It is really humid here so I was hot/cold all night plus a couple of times I hit my finger against the covers and then it really stung.

Before bed I switched to two bandaids over my finger tip and notice a drop of blood on the pad - don't know if that is fresh blood or blood that was under my nail getting wet from sweat and soaking in. This morning I'll take off the bandaids and try and soak off the blood that isn't part of the wound. Then put on antibiotic cream.

I'm touch typing once more which reminds me how very lucky I was.

I'm on the treadmill too so obviously are feeling pretty good although I note I'm still shaky when I think about what could have happened. So I guess the key to today is to keep busy and not think.

I'll run out to the store and get finger cots later today so I can keep the wound dry when working around water. I'll try to keep my hand out of water but it is amazing how often my hands go in water each day.

I might go for a pedicure too since I'm worried about using nail polish remover even with the finger cot on. I'm thinking of getting my hair washed by the hair stylist who lives across the street. But that doesn't need to be done until tomorrow. For a sponge bath, a rubber glove will be enough.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Kathryn, I'm so glad a bandaid lets you type, but if it bothers you don't do it on our account! We will be happy with hunt-and-peck "hellos".

T-Tapp Basic last night, 55 mins of Zumba tonight with 2 very short breaks for ice water and a minute sit-down. I cannot honestly say I did every move with full motion or even correctly, but I finished. If I go by sweat, I was very successful. :)

It may not seem that I am sticking with my guns on the eating plan but I am. It's just a pendulum swing back and forth when you are eating this way, and the scale hasn't quite decided to swing into new numbers yet. It won't tomorrow, either, since today was a high-calorie day. If I really stick to my guns tomorrow it might happen the next morning. If not, Thursday maybe. I'm learning. I'm sure exercise adds muscle, or water protecting muscle, but I'm not going to (literally) sweat the details on that, since it's still good for me. I measured this morning and there's not much change, but I think I see it in the mirror.

Here's an odd non-scale victory. I sang well in church today. Not that anyone is particularly listening to me. I'm just saying that in the past there have been issues, I think, with lung health, acid reflux, maybe the thyroid OR maybe worry about the thyroid unnecessarily. At any rate, I am completely off my inhaler and have been for weeks, yet I sang without any worry today - no throat clearing, no tiredness, hoarseness or feeling that my voice wasn't ready. I realize this may not be my allergy season.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 am

I have a new, unreasonable goal. To wear my black strapless dress at the Sept. 29th church dinner (it is catered and a bit fancy.) This is the other dress I have that uses the crinoline. This one has a boned bodice so I can't have any back fat in order to zip it shut. For once, it isn't the hips that are the issue to get something to fit!

To wear it, I must be ~30 lbs lighter. I have 15 weeks so that's 2lbs a week. Pretty near impossible for the 'young me' so almost definitely impossible for the over-50 me but it is my goal.

So today I'm starting counting my WW points again. I've got summer vacation, my birthday, a week long church event plus the heat of summer to get through (my metabolism runs slower in summer than winter since I don't have to burn calories to keep my body warm.) It will be interesting to see how the first 5 weeks go.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am

I walked extra yesterday. Weather was great for a change!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Perfect Healthy Habit day, although it is an off day for exercise.

Veggies were
BIG salad
apple
sweet potato
peppers and onion in an omelet
avocado

all my water
all my supplements
ALL God-made foods!

For full disclosure, I had to have a long nap today, so maybe it was easier to stay virtuous when I literally had less of a day.

Kathryn, when I want to target/trim/tone my upper back, I do extras of the "Amazon Arms" mini-workout about half-way down Teresa Tapp's book page at Amazon .com. To get into a particular dress, stop exercising at LEAST 24 hours before the event, so that you won't have muscle swelling. Also avoid much sodium during that 24.

Walking couldn't happen here, Nancy. Cowinkie was right about our weather.

Here's theApril 60 Minutes special with Dr. Sanjay Gupta about sugar. First person interviewed is Dr. Lustig, whose own video Lynlee recommended about that time.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 am

On treadmill again. Can't quite touch type because I don't have a bandaid on my finger. I figure it is time to let air help with the healing. I don't know if it is the lack of skin exposing nerves or if it is just me being nervous but when I move my hand around it tinkles weirdly so I'll keep it covered for the day but uncovered for as long as possible once my busy time of the day is over.

The nail has grown up enough that I can trim it back so it doesn't catch on things so that helps with not having a bandaid on. I put some clear nail polish on it so it matches the rest of my fingers.

Yesterday was terrible for eating. I was starving when I got home and dinner was delayed. Plus I had not exercised (no time before leaving) so used up 12 of my 35 weekly extra points. That helped me get back on the treadmill this morning since I don't use my flex points when I am working out fully since the exercise points handle the extra food intake. I really want to end up 'on program' for the week.

I'm now jogging for 60 - 90 seconds near the beginning of the treadmill in order to get my heart rate up. I started that when dh was away and forgot dh hadn't seen it so he was really surprised - he stared at me and said, "You're running!" I've never run on the treadmill in front of him before. I hate running so this is unlikely to last more than a moment or two. Unlike ds who is doing a half marathon in September.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I walked to the school yesterday for the bbq I was feeling great after that!

Today walked but not quite as far many trips up and down the stairs today doing laundry gives me a bit more so including that in my exercises for today.

I'm having way to much fun with pinterest a photo cork board on line!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 am

On treadmill again.

Finger was exposed to air all day (except while working on weekly kitchen chores when I wore rubber gloves and when I had the finger cot for my shower.) The amount of healing in one day was amazing.

Now the finger tip bothers me so I'm guessing it is the nerves regenerating since it is sort of numb and tingly.

Eating went better yesterday but still not perfect. I'll be off to the grocery store today so will get more healthy lunch options.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I sort of remember my finger being extra sensitive for a while as it healed over. That eventually went away. I'm so busy I didn't keep track of how many days, etc., I just kept on working and eventually forgot about it. Yours sounds just like mine.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 am

Finger is well on the way to healing. A direct hit to the cut hurts like heck but the rest of the time it is just a mild tingling. I used a bandaid from time to time yesterday to protect it but just from knocks, it doesn't protect from dirt (and dirt got in through my gardening gloves yesterday - I hope the shower removes it from the wound today because I can't scrub there.)

We had pizza last night so it will be interesting to see how much my weight is up due to the sodium. I think I may have hit the key to weight loss, will report back on that in a month but for now, focusing on making the most of my workout by having my heart rate up high is showing faster results on the scale.

Of course, another change is not snacking which is hard. I don't eat (or seldom) eat in the evening but from 4 to dinner I tend to graze and not on healthy stuff. So I've moved dinner earlier in order to control the grazing better. I've also moved my glass of milk from dinner to around 4 to give myself a protein burst using calories I would have had consumed later in the day.

The earlier dinner has the follow on benefit of earlier bed. I guess the energy boost from eating ebbs about 3 hours later so we start thinking about going to bed earlier because of the drop in our energy level. Since dh has us on a fixed wake up time, earlier bed is a very good thing.

Gee, I've described listening to one's body rhythms as a way to a healthier weight. Duh!

Return to “Healthy Habits”