Health and Fitness June, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness June, 2012

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 am

As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Welcome to our thread about benefiting health and fitness! We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2012

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 am

Today's exercise 8-) plans are gardening Iv'e done some weeding and planted part of the onion sets that are sprouting.

On a milti-tasking walk I delivered a prayer shawl and walked a dog for a friend,
talked to some folks up the street and they said I can have their old rabbit hutch to convert for a couple of hens for now I.m happy with my progress taking a water break before I being pushing the mower after lunch for that I think it's supposed to be in the 80's here today and muggy ugh!
Not really used to it yet this year here as we've not had much warm weather.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Hold the presses, another 1/2 pound evicted by end-of-month, making May a 1-pound loss month.
Me and that turtle, we are neck and neck here! How exciting! Don't blink, you could miss something.

Here's a recap of the thrilling highlights:

Nov. 2.5
Dec 2.5
Jan 1
Feb 0 (right through greatly increased exercise!)
Mar 0 (ditto!)
Apr 1.5
May 1

8.5 pounds lost since the end of October.
3.5 pounds lost in 2012.
Just 1.5 more to go to my 10 pound goal.

So, one June goal is obvious, I suppose. I want to lose 1.5 pounds so I can say I'm 10 lighter! No-brainer.

For exercise, I'd like to be at 2 hours of workouts per week all June long.

:idea: June 17 - Mini Calendar Event Goal - Fit into something nice-looking and take HRH out to eat for Father's Day, somehow.
This would be both a goal of proving to myself I look nicer, AND fighting back against not being able to DO anything together.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Harriet - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

An IRL acquantaince posted this on FB about healthy sweetener. This friend/acquantaince has totally changed his eating this past year and dropped about 80 lbs. He hiked/walked/jogged 144 miles during the month of May. Saying all that because he really takes his health serious and has been making amazing changes in what he eats. Soooo I assume he has researched this. I ordered some date sugar from Amazon to try. Not sure if they sell it in a regular grocery store. Maybe I just never noticed it?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 am

I walked tonight after dinner it's been muggy here w/ the rains we got earlier in the day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:56 am

Ok, I'll post in the right month!

Still having issues with this heart rate monitor transmitter. That's two days in the row so I'll put this one back in the drawer and pull out another.

I'm only working out every second day while dh is away but I am more productive on non-workout days. If I workout, even starting at 7 (and that doesn't happen often) I don't finish breakfast until almost 10 and am pretty wiped the rest of the day. If I get up and going at 7, I'm done breakfast by 8:30. Since I had to be out the door this week, I did started skipping workouts. I did get a walk in with ds so I'm doing ok.

This period seems to be a normal one. It was insanely heavy at first (the downside to the Diva cup is you actually see all the blood) but has settled into my normal pattern - middle of the day is steady, slows to a stop after dinner, and doesn't start up until mid-morning the next day. The more I wear it, the more comfortable I'm getting with the cup. So far this period, I've only used 2 tampons. I had it in last evening and could barely feel it (which wasn't true for earlier this week) but it was empty when I took it out so I'm guessing what I was feeling before was cramping from the heavy flow, and not the cup.

I haven't been counting WW points (never restarted after Atlanta) but my weight is inching downwards so I'm down to 167. That isn't great compared to early Feb but at least those 9 pounds from the cruise are gone. And now that my period is winding down, it might go down more if my body follows its normal patterns.

On the achievement front, yesterday I had to squeeze behind the corner tv cabinet to adjust something and it wasn't the almost impossible squeeze it usually is. I did have to slide against the wall but it was an easy slide not the "am I going to make it?" slide I used to have.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 am

Two mile walk on the beach this morning. We're packing packing up to head home today. I won't say DH is ill as a hornet but he's definitely "on a mission." I sent him to take a shower so I could relax a minute.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 am

Twins' Mom, to have had to have an ER visit during your vacation must have been kinda tough. :( Thankfully, the rest of your time was dotted with nice walks along the beach! And most of the time you had a chance to r-e-l-a-x. :)

EOD, every-other-day, is a fine ideal for exercise, Kathryn, allowing muscles rest time between exertions. For me, the difficult place squeezing between furniture is at my parent's house between their chest freezer and the opposite wall, which holds a line-up of hot water heater, washer and dryer. I can manage getting in there sideways fine, but to finish laundry, squeeze to turn around and walk out can be a problem! I can always tell if I've gained or lost there!

Thank you for that link, OKay. Yes, it does sound as though Date Sugar would be a good purchase and worth learning to use for cooking/recipes even. What really pleased me was that the sweetener I'd recently recommended here was pretty healthy, too - Unsulfured Molasses. (whew)

Like Nancy, we had rains to keep us inside for days, until HRH thought he'd never even get the yard mowed. But when it cleared, it let us really enjoy the out-of-doors while family was here.

Yesterday for exercise I participated in an Extreme Sport : Outdoor Grandmothering.

Even with a high-calorie day yesterday while family was eating Oriental, birthday cake, snacking, etc., the scale only popped up 1/2 pound, so that's a wonderful victory. With a low-calorie day today, I should be feeling well and ready to start on a good eating week, back to T-Tapp, too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Harriet, I'm envious of your optimism with your weight loss. With numbers like yours somehow you managed not to give up. You don't sound discouraged. When I don't see meaningful results I'm too soon ready to give up. I really wish I had your perseverance.

Speaking of which, I need to restart something. Yeah, something. My diet changed when I was counting fiber and I could feel I was eating more, but gee it was salads, more veggies, more fruit than normal. I actually felt fuller after meals and snacked less later on. Still, I've gained about 5 pounds.

Gotta put my thinking cap on about all this.

Today we had a walk on the beach and a bob around in the water. Not a lot of exercise, but at least I wasn't sitting all afternoon. We used to take a long long walk up and down the beach after every swim but no longer do that, DH isn't able. It's been 2 summers since we've stopped that. It was good exercise, walking in sand takes extra muscle power. I need a plan.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 am

Up late but I'm on the treadmill. Tomorrow I have to be out of the house around 8:30 so I decided I had to work out today in case I don't get to it tomorrow.

I read a whole book yesterday! One of the Cat Who series. That was no problem (it is lightweight fun) but did nothing to reduce the must-read pile on the coffee table which includes two books loaned to me in March. I've decided to take The Third Jesus back to the library without finishing it. I started it on the ship, then got it here and have renewed it three times but still have 1/3 to go. On the ship, I was doing great (except people kept interrupting me while I was reading it to talk about religion!) But here, I found it tougher sledding.

Anyway, I read until almost midnight in order to finish it up. So got out of bed at 8:20. Slept well and woke before the alarm at 7:50 but it is still below 65 in the house so I took my time getting out of bed.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so the house will start to heat up again. I have had the furnace off and had turned off the pilot light on the fireplace when it was 90 out so have had no additional heat. Yesterday I read in the heated massage chair and finished the book in bed. That's probably why I could sit for so long reading.

Return to “Healthy Habits”