Health and Fitness June, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Cowinkie

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2012

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 am

Well, I'll be joining you Kathryn with the weight thingie. I have put back 12 lbs....partly from stress, which causes me to do my nightly ghostly eating and partly due to sheer neglect of watching what I eat. It's time to get back on track. I would like to loose an additional 5-7 lbs so that when I go on my trip with DS I will have some wiggle room.

I moved my office around so I could have a larger exercise area. My glider will fold up so I can lean it against the wall when I want to do my kickboxing dvds. This weekend I will be putting my cards and box together so that should help. Getting back on schedule and making a time slot for workouts always helps me. Then what I need to due is just purely shut my mouth :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:20 pm

kudos to all watching what they eat.
a big day out, tiredness, waiting for transport had me willfully going against my own healthy interest to a trip to a bakery yesterday, and ate a huge hedghog. I guess a little like a dense version of choc brownie. back pain woke me in the night though that may have been something else.

Harriet - I do not think lustig is really supported by good science, as I find may views are against his sweeping statements. Watched the 60min video piece and do not agree the tests are only on what he claimed. the sweet drinks /brain mri - if the drink contained any other substance (like artificial or even natural colours, flavours, preservatives) then that muddies the water of the test just being about hfcs. He forgets his other video where he stated a difference in the processing of frutose and sucrose. And how our body processes them. There is a difference for most people in terms terms of quantity. that is the real problem. that the US daily average per capita is 1/3lb. The problem with processed food is it has so many other toxins in it in terms of artificial substances.
http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/blog
take your pick looking at these as to effects of substances on so much in life.
http://ginews.blogspot.com.au/
this is this months newsletter but last months newsletter had links to a dietitians blog - who directly addressed and debunks lustigs claims.
All calories are not equal - true.theres so much more to it.

All that said - sugar is an addictive substance for me, though there may be others who can handle it - like some can get health benefits from one glass of red wine without going overboard.
It doesn't invalidate the help for some that others are not helped.
others claim that sugar often comes packaged with artificals, with wheat ( and there is another school of thought that declares wheat a toxin for maybe 10% of population), with the need for some to stay off salicylates found in may forms of sweeteners, that low blood sugar reactions in a reasonable diet (as in what gets eaten, not some list a person is trying to follow for whatever reason) are caused by food intollerance reactions.

Maybe see what someone respected like Mendosa has to say on the subject of sugar before you get too much reactionary - that is unless you currently eat sugar by the tablespoon. I admit I don't have much good to say about sodas that contain so much sugar/whatever per serve. Read the container to see how many teaspoons it contains.

Nor much good to say about the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar I was adding to drinks lately that led up to my binging yesterday. big serve. nothing in it I should have been eating. I could have eaten less of it having bought and started eating, but chose to eat the lot.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Finally! One more half-pound is gone!! Gee, this rate is less than tortoise and down to snail-speed. But I'm happy anyway. There's another 1/2-inch gone from my abdomen, so there's a smile for my Father's Day weekend.

I'm still alternating, because it feels good to me, I think there are more benefits than just weight loss, and I like the science behind intermittent calorie reduction. About 1,900 calories every other day and 600 on alternating days, so that, if averaged, I'd be getting 1,250 daily. Berries, veggies, protein and good fats on low cal days. Those, plus pretty much whatever I want on high cal days, moderated by the calorie counting. 15-20 mins of exercise, except for that Zumba burst I had the other night!

Cowinkie, is that nighttime thing still happening to you? Bless your heart. I was sorry to hear about that recent migraine, which I know from experience doesn't help in the healthy habits department. Your workout set-up sounds good. (Cardfile may be our most helpful exercise equipment.)

My own little exercise space is coming together. Did I tell you guys the wrong remote was packaged with the new tv? It took a week to get the correct one! But finally we are set up and I have exercised there and like it. T-Tapp takes very little space except for lunges.

Lynlee, I must not have posted what I intended about the Gupta 60-minutes special - I thought I did, hmmm. Anyway, had intended to say Lustig disappointed me in just saying sugar (cane) and HFCS were the same and moving on. Sigh. Oversimplification that completely denies what happens to our livers and fat deposits. Yes, it was like he forgot what he said in his own video presentation, yet that was the presentation shown briefly during the 60-Minutes piece. ??? You're right about having to know our own bodies. I know that even if the sugars in a pudding-type dessert and a cake-type dessert are the same, I will be more adversely affected by the cake type. The white-flour component along with the sugars is a problem for me that milk(s) products simply don't match. I was reading about a lady who stopped all wheat and quickly lost 7 pounds without knowing it was happening, btw.

Harmony, it's great you have a little insight for Kathryn about the cut finger. Are you getting out and walking, biking or swimming any more? At some point in Florida summertime will it get almost too hot for any of that?

Kathryn, glad you are finding some key ideas.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:37 pm

I have mowed our yard and the neighbors [small] front yd. for my exercise today.
Finally got on the scales I'm up 2 lbs. sigh!
Yep fluids I'm pretty sure.
[Skipping dinner tonight.]
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:02 pm

W-e-l-l-l, what am I doing these days? That's the question. Not much. For a while I was just so mentally stressed that I couldn't think beyond getting urgent stuff done. DH seems perpetually mad at me, and I know lots of that is his frustration at the hardness in his life right now. So I try to ignore and not ignite (iykwIm) but all of this leaves little mental space for planning, goals, focus.

At this point my goals are so long-range I am thinking about NEXT year. I have plans to change a lot of stuff, schedules, routines, and new goals. At the moment it is my plan to just "get through". I am stuck at a much higher weight number than I like.

And we've not been on our bikes for a couple weeks. I usually don't go alone and DH is tired at the end of a day. Even mornings when it's not too hot yet are too humid to exercise, take walks, etc. I have been on the eliptical a couple times. But my energy is 0 these days it seems with the heat. I know we keep the house too hot for comfort (80°).

At this point I just have my anchor placed that I don't get further into bad territory. Not a good report, I know. I keep reading here though, hoping for some mojo but it doesn't seem to be rubbing off.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:08 am

On treadmill after missing yesterday due to an early start.

Not sure how I'm going to workout while we are away. I'll take the heart rate monitor so I'll know if I'm working out at the right intensity but how to fit exercise into every day will be tricky.

While driving down we'll walk for at least 10 minutes 2x a day at rest stops but that will be to stretch out my back not my heart.

At Summerville Beach the place it right on the ocean and highway so I'm not sure where we'll be able to find trails to walk without having to drive to them. There is an old rail line that has been converted to a path but it will get very boring and only goes in one direction since the railway was built to bring people from the city out to the beach. I know I can walk to Whitepoint from Summerville Beach, it is exactly 5 miles and I've done it, but it was fairly boring and through woods the whole way. I'm not sure I'm comfortable walking along the highway (it is very curvy and people speed too much) and there are only glimpses of the ocean that way (NS is very woody!)

At Whitepoint there is a community about a 5 minute walk from the cabin so I can wander for miles and miles on those dirt roads. Plus there is the 1 mile long beach walk.

Oh well, new places means new experiences (there's a lot of good stuff about this other place, not the least of which, they took us in when Whitepoint burned.) There is a small provincial park next to the place so maybe there is a larger path network I'm not aware of.

I do plan on at least two proper hiking days, possibly more. The whole resort at Whitepoint is closed off but we can park in the community nearby and hike to where we can look over to the property so we'll be able to see what is going on. There's a big park to hike at, right on the ocean, and then we can go for a long town-walk when we are in Liverpool and check out all my family's sites (Liverpool is the home of my pirate ancestor and there are two museums that talk about him, plus a restaurant and B&B in his family home.)

The reason keeping my heart rate up is so important to me is that the weight continues to fall off. I've lost 5 pounds this week and month. I started the month at 170 dropped to 167, headed back to 170 and then started WW. So the net is only 2lbs since my earlier low this month but still that is significant and when I was bleeding and doing WW plus high heart rate workouts, I was losing over 3lbs a week. So I'm waiting to see if this can be sustained or if it is just huge fluctuations (I gained almost 10 pounds on the cruise but then lost it when I started bleeding, then gained a few back and those are gone, plus 2, now.)

I know that there are many who say one shouldn't weigh in more often than weekly because the scales can be so fickle. I agree and my chart on the wall shows the ups and downs but it also shows trends and reminds me before a week is up to wise-up and remember my healthy habits.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:09 am

BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Harriet & Kathryn for your success!!

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. How do I pick myself up and start again after falling so far?

That question is running through my mind....AGAIN. I know how to lose weight. I have experience in doing it. Lack of knowledge and experience isn't the issue. When I track what I eat, I lose weight.

However my stop/starting is demoralizing. I always find a reason, a excuse, a get-out-of-jail-free card to stop tracking food. When i stop, I don't mean to actually stop.....it is more like I'll just pause it for a bit. Hours go by.....days go by.....weeks go by.....and i finally admit to myself that stopped ......and failed again. I know this is familiar territory to anyone who has ever struggled with their weight. Others have been here and have gone on to overcome. I do appreciate the struggles posted here and the good examples which gives me confidence that I too can be success in this effort.......as long as I keep picking myself up and just do it!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:23 am

Joining in the chorus with Harmony and OKay. Wishing I was eating better and exercising, but not doing much about it - too much going on otherwise, I suspect. When I lost weight several years ago, it was summer and I was pretty much able to focus on eating and exercising. This was also before I got involved at the temple again - and that has been a significant source of stress.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Aw, shucks. :oops: Me and my little half-pound thank you.

Like Nancy suddenly finds, I guess we may all be just an inch from a slide backward on weight/size and the health it relates to. Even helia is mentioning it lately, and she's our bastion against pounds.

But Nancy, you can nip it, nip it in the bud because 2 pounds is manageable. I know we'd all advise you to think about it soon. The problem comes when we decide to think about it later. :roll: Or maybe the problem is, we don't decide.

Anyway, don't do what I did and let it become 10 just to get back to your high normal.

I still say the best addition we could make to our scales is an alarm system.

It is frustrating to have already lost the pounds that you can now see you need to lose again. I mean, it's not as if they're not numbered. So, you can see perfectly well you've already lost the silly little things! :lol: (Well, mine don't seem as little lately, or at least they're harder to move.) I should have held the line back when I was bragging here that maybe I'd make 140. Ha! Went the other way, didn't I? That was when I was at 150. Remember my line in the sand philosophy? The tide came in on that, but next time a line in the wet concrete.

Also, don't anybody have stress. :| Let's just all stop doing that. :| Right now.

(Did it work?)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am

Up 2lbs this morning for no good reason except perhaps my period is due on Saturday. I finished my WW week in good shape - had 500 calories left to eat had I chose to do so. Instead, I had 2/3 oz of dark chocolate and a pot of decaf tea while I watched the movie last night - giving me a 'dessert' without as many calories.

So my weight is up and down but there is a downward trend. It is still too early to say this is going to work long-term.

What I noticed is that for a month I stayed between 168 - 170 despite eating badly but the exercise seem to keep me there. So add in better eating and the weight starts to fall off. Poor dh - I'm not going to the chip wagon with him tomorrow and we skipped either the diner or fish and chips at the Seaway yesterday because those choices aren't acceptable.

I'm really worried about making good choices while on vacation although the lack of affordable food at the cottage and the full kitchen should make 6 days of the trip much easier. Of course that leaves at least 8 - 10 hard days including our time in NYC because we have favourite restaurants to go to. Actually, that is true at the cottage too but just two nights are by definition bad.

Return to “Healthy Habits”