Health and Fitness June, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2012

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am

Down #2 lbs. this morning yep I was right it was water.
1/2 banana = breakfast may have an egg later on.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Harriet...
Yes the night time roaming and eating in bed WHILE asleep still happens. However I believe and my sleep dr does to, that this behavior is very stress related. I take Ambien every night along with my zoloft. During the year I started experiencing terrible night terror dreams. The dreams got so bad that I didn't want to sleep. We upped my Zoloft dosage at my request and that really help.

I went to see my sleep dr. the other day and told him what was happening. I want to cut back on my meds now that I've retired. He wants me to stay on them until my body has a chance to adjust to my new less-stressed life style. I am prone to eating bananas, cheese, peanut butter sandwiches, raisins and nuts; grab and go stuff. I get them from the kitchen and take whatever I've grabbed back to bed to eat. Sometimes I've been known to wake up with a mouthful of nuts and a bunch still in my hand. I asked my sleep dr. why I take things back to bed to eat instead of staying in the kitchen. He doesn't have an answer for that. But my theory is it more of an animal instinct thing like taking your food back to your cave to eat.

Anyway today I'm back on my eating routine. I don't want to get on the scale because I know I will be discouraged. I'm just gonna stick to my program and eat whats on my menu. It will take some time getting back to the routine. Like this morning I forgot to drink my lemon juice drink as soon as I got up. Need to get my cards in order and that will help. I have a glider set up in my office and that along with some dvds will fill in the blanks. Just doing everything One day at a time....
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 am

Cowinkie: could Sweetie lock the kitchen? (mine can't because I have an open concept house) Or perhaps put a motion detecting light on before bed and have it go off when you get to the kitchen (maybe add a loud radio or something to wake you. That doesn't stop the sleep moving but does at least wake you up.

Nothing to report here. Everything is going as it should although today will need some careful planning. Forgot to boil eggs last night for my salad today so must do it as soon as I'm off the treadmill so they'll cool before I leave.

My Montreal friend noticed I had lost weight. At this point it is probably just 12 pounds since I saw him last but he hugs me tight and could feel the difference.

I'm starting to see a slight difference in the mirror in the morning. And my capris are now getting too baggy for me. I'll take them on the trip with me just because I don't have anything else to wear as shorts. I think I'll take my travel skirt too. It is still a bit tight but will serve as a good 'scale' for me to make sure I'm not gaining. If I still had the van, I'd just pack our scales but room is too tight in the Prius. I will take my kitchen food scale, though.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 am

I continue to step on the scales each morning, although I don't like what they tell me. :roll: There is only one time that I weigh (first thing in the morning) so if I don't do it then, it doesn't happen. It is part of my AM routine. I have tried skipping it but it is like not taking a bath - it bugs me the rest of the day.

I have resumed tracking what I eat. Steady......steady.....reminding myself this is not a short term effort.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Am I hungry?
Is this what I want to eat?
Is this what I want to eat now?
Is there some thing else I need to ead instead?
Find a body buddy not a food natizi; and not someone who says you are okay but some one in the middle to encourage you.
The Writing Diet by Julia Cameron

I had a low at bed time last night h. made me eat prunes peanuts I had a mini ch. candy bar and bs was #252 today not surprising I'm regular LOL! Sigh!

Walked more like strolled in the field today for my exercise.
After wards had to pick weed seeds out of my sox and shoes.
I've boiled eggs for deviled eggs.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Good question KIC and one I get a lot. First, people who walk and eat in their sleep can become very agitated or violent when awaken during an episode. Sweetie tried once to wake me up and said never again. Said I was very verbally abusive towards him. He had been warned from the start that this might happen. Same thing can happen if there are locks on say on the pantry door. I've tried barracking the hallway to the kitchen with chairs hoping that would wake me up, but it didn't. Weird I know, but sleep dr. said it is just best to let the eating happen and work on what I can do while a wake to ease the problem.

I have found if I eat a little something before I go to sleep that helps. And if you notice most of the foods I I go after have a a high fat or sugar content. This is not unusual. Plus they are not foods that I would normal eat on a daily basis. That's true to form as well. At least I'm not getting up in the middle of the night and cooking an entire meal before eating it...all the while asleep. Believe it or not there are people who do that. My episodes have drastically decreased since I've retired. And that really makes Sweetie happy. BTW, I was diagnosed with this disorder by a rheumatotic Dr. When my gen.dr. ran tests and couldn't figure out what was going on, she referred me to this dr. I thought he was nuts, and I do mean NUTS when he suggested I had a sleeping disorder and ordered a sleeping test. Who knew.???

I stayed on my eating plan yesterday even thought we went out to eat for dinner. Went to In-and-out Burgers. I can get what they call a protein burger there. That's a beef patty wrapped with lettuce and tomatoes. I asked for it dry which means no type of condiments are on it. I drank unsweetened tea...something I don't normally do...and drank all of my daily water; 80+ ozs.

I heard from my friends at home...NJ...they may be having a mini-reunion at the end of July. That's just about the time I had planned to visit my mom so now I have extra motivation, which helps.

Okay...I usually get on the scales every morning when I'm working on releasing pounds ;) , but with the night time eating I don't really want to know what I weigh right now. It will discourage me if I don't see my weight going down. This eating plan is something I've used many years ago and was able to loose 40lbs in 3 months. I don't need to lose that much, but I know the plan works if I stick with it. I'm gonna be like KIC and use my clothes as a way to gauge my progress. Then when I can get back into a specific pair of shorts, I'll climb on the scale with hands over eyes and peek at the results. ;)

Nancy...I love taco soup. So does Sweetie.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

I weigh every morning. I bear watching.
In a related development, my scale needs replacing and this time I want a high-rated WW one. I'm sick of this poor quality hea lth-o-met er. Wouldn't buy this brand ever again.

Nice to hear you've found even more encouragement to stick with your plans, Cowinkie.

Sorry you had to deal with the low and then this morning's off number, Nancy. A good quote.

I'm still quite happy with this WOE. But there is a certain amount of "alternating" of how I feel and of mood, too. Had I posted to you all this a.m. there would have been no end to the good report. Feeling great. Took measurements and see a little change for the better. Happy- happy, rested, slim-feeling and glad to have few restrictions on eating today. Then I embarked on the "up" day of eating and I must say by this time - 5:00 p.m. - I feel as though I've eaten too much and have no energy. There's also a feeling of let-down as I think to myself I didn't "use" my calorie allotment well.

Of course, this has been a very stressful day. Well, yesterday was, too, with ddad here at home. But today was my ddad's appt with the blood dr. And it was just hard. Then taking dd to meet her friend for a sleepover of 2 nights. Sigh.

Strangely, (Twins' Mom may understand this best) I feel this is a hormonal day.

Both lucylee and Kathryn have enjoyed compliments. That's great.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 am

My "It's six weeks until August." thoughts....

Last evening the full 55 mins of T-Tapp Total while glancing out the window to make sure the hens were safe on their pre-dusk excursion. I ended up having to break twice to go round them up, which was walking, but a lot easier than the workout, lol. So it probably took the hour. Made me feel better on a hormonal/dietary/emotional level! :lol:

I'm committing to do this hour workout once a week until August, which will be 6 weeks, and then reflect, measure and plan. Also committing to do the equivalent of 2 more full T-Tapp workouts each week as well, but probably not that intense. Maybe one of them each week could be a floor workout. Every other day through the week, probably. Best choice would probably be Tuesday, Thursday and once on the weekend, but of course the best-laid plans of mice and men....

This will be the aim, though.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Some garden and ex. progress:
walk x
weed sm. garden patch x
water boraders & front lawn x

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 pm

I did the Ladybug Floor workout after primary back stretch last evening. So I just need one more full workout this week to make my goal.

Today it was brain-scald weather. My eating was pretty much a Subway sandwich and an apple. I took my insulated bag that looks like a purse with me to Subway with a cold-pack thingie inside and just brought the other half of the sandwich home for supper. It carried the other half of dd13's, too.

This videohas been viewed a lot, evidently, although I just saw it today when it came in the Mercola newsletter. So if you've seen it, put it down to Harriet being out of touch! LOL! It made me think about any of us who have ever lost our balance trying to do an exercise DVD or class. Also, the cats are cute.

Return to “Healthy Habits”