Health and Fitness July, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness July, 2012

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 pm

It's the half-way point of 2012!

Time to give ourselves pats on the back for healthful eating, increased activity, getting back to postponed check-ups, meeting goals.

Time to revisit specific resolutions we made at 2011's end, or other dates.

Time to share here goals to meet by or during 2013, and plans for consistency over the NEXT 6 months.

Time to plan record-keeping of the things we find important to our physical well-being.

A vital mind-body connection to reconsider is our habits. Many of the things we do right now as daily routine may be because our bodies get started on it while our minds aren't even engaged, so lets notice them and make sure they pass muster. If there is a habit, make sure it is a POSITIVE one or transform it!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness July, 2012

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I've done my walk I can out walk my friends gals about 5-10 years older than I but scale is still going in the wrong direction sigh hurmph!
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 am

Half way point. I have tentative goals for next year, but that is 6 months' away...and I'm wondering should I start something now...but I am having trouble committing (in my mind)... I don't want to start / fail / be discouraged... maybe try something very very small for a start. Hmmm.....

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 am

Don't know where I am in the process. I basically took last week off after finishing the week before just slightly off program. I even had fish and chips for the third time in 10 days last night since it was the last day of my "off" week.

This morning I'm up and there's a yoga mat on the floor beside me. Hopefully I'll be on it in a few minutes. I'm really stiff. Dh and I had decided to not exercise walk yesterday because we were beat after the walk up the Citadel Hill in the heat. So we just meandered along for the rest of the day. Turns out, in total, we walked 4.8 miles. It is easier to walk a lot in a city when everything is 'right there' so you aren't tempted to take the car places.

Today we are considering hiking out on the Chebucto Head. The weather is iffy so we have committed to driving out there after dropping off the kids and seeing what's what when we get there. It is a provincial park. One of the things that still amazes me about our day on the rocks is the national park expected us to hike 2.2 km before you even get to the shore. That means everyone has to hike at least 3 miles if they want to see the sea vistas. They obviously take walking/hiking more seriously here than they do in our area of the country.

As for weight, I have no idea where I am right now. At the villa I thought I looked thinner but then again, it could have been a slimming mirror.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Pulling weeds & mowing are on my list the first part of this week for some exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Nancy, that is very cool 8-) to be able to notice walking stamina.

Kathryn, the rest and relaxation of being away on a vacation is healthy in itself.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine..." from Proverbs 17

Harmony, then I guess one question would be, what can you do now that would make your 2013 goals simpler. Small goals are reachable goals.

My pats on the back for the first 6 months of 2012 would be that I am 5 pounds lighter than Jan 1, and I've put up with upsetting medical things :( and am now on a respite from that. I'm at a level of formal exercise that I know from experience is very helpful for me. I think I'm eating well, except that I need a little more fresh veggies right now.

Previous goals. Hmmm... ... The year goal I made January 1 was to have very good record keeping in 2012. Yes, I think I'm doing that, although I've changed to a different format. The 6-week goal I made mid-June until August is going well - 3 full workouts a week, and one of them has to be the total 55 minutes.

Goals for the rest of the year? Well, I know I both want and need to trim my midsection. So, my fondest goal would be to monitor measurements at waist and abdomen and try to exercise for that area and make a change.

I can think of one way that I might be able to improve my record-keeping, now that I've gone through this mental exercise, so I'll start that.

Habits - Probably need to go to bed at 11:00 each night right now, since just a matter of weeks from now I'll have to move that earlier to be able to drive the school run.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 am

I've been tackling yoga classes in the light of "Arthur's testimonial video" It seems to help a little - but I still can't step from downward dog to lunge without putting my knee down. Still need a wall touch for some ballance poses.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 am

I'm going to search out yoga when I get home for exactly the same reason, Lynlee!

My period arrived this morning. Thankfully before we are on the road but still, sigh... It would have been much easier to deal with had it come on time, or even a few days late, as opposed to 10 days late.

I'd say it explains my eating everything in sight on Sunday but I don't think the two are related at all!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:06 am

I keep remembering my doc telling me last summer that yoga would take care of everything that ails me. Achy joints, stress, high blood pressure. I checked the online class schedule at another yoga studio in my area. Hoping after the move I can try it again. My favorite instructor at the other studio has left - she's a gorgeous thirty-something but has had major back issues that she's cured through yoga. I'd like to check out her studio if she opens another. New home will also be within 5 minutes of a YMCA. Something has to happen!

My back is killing me from being on my feet these days and I know it's my weight. I did walk for several days last week before the heat hit.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:52 am

Twins P.B.S. has yoga on in the mornings here. I've seen dvd's of it in thrift shops as well not the same as a class but some thing you might consider. Has any one ever heard of water - yoga? The gkids other granny goes to water aerobics not sure how many times a week it's about the only thing she can do b/c of her wt.

I got the yard mowed last night the breeze was nice and glad for the shade we have in both the front and back yards that time of day. Dd comments all the time about "shade envy" one of the things you don't get with new construction homes unless you build a covering over deck patio areas.

I walked yesterday also.

I'm down like 6 lbs. back to my 168 Yippie!
Gave up meat the last part of last week.
I'm thinking it was water retention but in any case great news.

Return to “Healthy Habits”