Health and Fitness July, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness July, 2012

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am

I walked for my exercise this morning while it was still cool out.
Rode the ex. bike 4 mi. today
feeling fat so may be getting back on it this evening it's still hot out! :shock:

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:20 am

I did feel a bit better yesterday but not 100% and I was gasping on our walk and felt weak when at the general store so had to walk home holding onto dh. In the evening my jaw was really sore plus an overwhelming feeling of malaise.

This morning felt nauseous on top of the malaise and now a headache. I've taken allergy and headache pills and am on the treadmill for 35 minutes instead of 45 (I spent the extra time just moving slowly around the bedroom waiting to see if I'd get strong enough to workout at all.)

I seem fine except for the headache on the treadmill and even did the highspeed walking and jogging bits so far.

Weight is up 2 lbs but period was due yesterday so that has to be part or all of it.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 am

I read here almost daily but am resisting posting. Not sure why.

Posting = commitment?????

ANYway a few days ago I returned to tracking eating in SparkPoeple (SP). When I track using my spreadsheet it is more accurate and tells me exactly all the information I need, however the SP app is available free on smart phone and is easier to access. Accessibility & minimized time requirement beats out accuracy and thoroughness......at least for now. My weight is down 5 lbs from a week ago so tracking food using whatever means is available does work. :D

DH had stress test (treadmill) earlier this week and the cardiologist office called yesterday with results. PERFECT! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:12 am

Delightful to hear that Mr. OKay is perfect. :lol: OKay, as I plug in my foods online at Everyday Health, I will think to wave at you over at Spark People. I think Nancy used to brag quite a bit on Spark People.

Kathryn, I hope you discover that this is all simply a cyclical blah, cycling into normal soon.

When this busy weekend is over, I will need to concentrate on more sleep. So much work, then barely 6.5 hours sleep, then today such a big day.

It is also the end of the month, so I'll be measuring Tuesday morning, and have decided not to exercise again until Tuesday.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 am

Another day, another headache. Nothing like a migraine, just enough to annoy me because I'm starting the day in poor shape instead of rested and renewed after a sleep. I'm assuming my sleep is bothered by the headache as well.

Whether it is low grade pain from the jaw (which also aches but not in the morning) or caused by my now-missing period, I don't know.

I'm wearing white as much as possible to encourage my period to arrive. Can't think of anything else to do!

I'm also doing partial workouts since there's really no good reason not to. A workout doesn't make me feel better or worse.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:29 am

I have my first UTI ever. I started on cranberry juice first thing this morning.

Any other suggestions?

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Indiana, I had multiple UTI's when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. I now take a cranberry pill and so far it is warding off UTI's.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks Lilac.

I just found blueberry juice and pineapple should work.

I wanted to start on something right away.

I shouldn't be drinking cranberry juice because of my coumadin. But that is all I had.

Another suggestion was baking soda that is off my list of something I can use because of the sodium.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Although I always wholeheartedly advise D-Mannose from the vitamin store or whole foods store for UTIs, Indiana you may remember that for my aunt who was on coumadin, her dr wasn't so sure it was a good idea, so my cousin decided to stick with Cipro antibiotic, trying maintenance 1/2-cups of daily cranberry juice, since D-Mannose is so much stronger than cranberry juice. (I felt she did poorly on the Cipro, getting so tired) The dr was supposed to check about whether there was any reason to withhold it, and get back with us, but never gave an answer. Until today, I'm not sure there's any reason to avoid D-Mannose while taking coumadin, but feel cautious about it. D-Mannose is a sugar compound that can be found in fruits such as peaches and cranberries, but is usually made from trees like birch or beech. The Waterfall brand of D-Mannose, for instance, brags that is only made from larch trees - somehow supposed to be better than other trees?

To me, it would be better for a person on coumadin to take a beech, birch or larch ingredient than a cranberry ingredient. ?????

Anyway, consider monitoring your progress with AZO (Bayer) or other uti test strips. The "cure" of a UTI is simply getting the bacteria down to the numbers we usually experience. There will always be some bacteria; it's only the abundance that means infection.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 pm

My walk this morning is done.

Return to “Healthy Habits”