Health & Fitness August 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health & Fitness August 2012

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I would rather have yours, Lynlee. You have so much good info. This brand name is Frontier and says very little on the bottle. On the website it says only: "Himalayan Pink™ gourmet salt is pure, hand-mined salt found naturally deep inside the pristine Himalayan Mountains. The high mineral content Himalayan salt crystals range in color from deep reds to beautiful pinks to sheer white indicating a beneficial amount of trace elements & iron." Well, yours is packaged in your neck of the woods and mine in mine, so that tells us very little, I suppose. I thought mine said Norway, but it says Norway, Iowa, US. lol... ... which I'm sure is a very nice place, just rather domestic.

For the first time since May, I have slipped up in my exercise schedule. :( I only got in 45 minutes of formal exercise the past week rather than my consistent 2 hours. There has been so much school shopping, and so much catch-up after dd32's family's visit. And this morning I knew I could choose between exercise and church and I decided church was needful, not complaining about that. I might try a "Basic" workout to reach 1 hour before hitting the hay.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 am

Harriet remember shopping = walking so that IS exercise!

I only got in 15 min. today moving lumber & concrete blocks hoping that intensity makes up for the shortness in time. Back yard looks a bunch better not so much like a construction zone now!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 am

Nancy, and it was all on concrete floors, too! I did get in the 15 as well, so I feel better about the week with those 2 thoughts!

So, one hour of formal exercise and walking and walking and walking and walking. :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Lilac, how is your plan going as you aim toward your ~Calendar Event Goal~ of class reunion? :)

I assumed I was going to have an aim-able calendar event a week or two ago for dfirstmil's bday party but they didn't have one, which was a surprise.

Lynlee, did you end up having repercussions or did you get away with it? Hope it was no big deal.

Has been wonderful to hear of Kathryn's improving stamina in PWYC.

Harmony, how do the hands look at this point?

Right in front of my master bedroom tv in my workout place was the spot dstepson chose to put a humongous computer monitor HRH asked him to carry downstairs until he could later take it away in truckbed. :( And why would he do that, you ask? Because dd14 left HER laundry basket at the door where he would normally put it, so he didn't know what to do. :roll: So there I was, unable to exercise. So, foolishly I tried to move it over sideways across the carpet. :shock: I didn't have exactly a twinge in my back, but I had a half-twinge I guess and knew I could be in trouble. So instead of doing a full workout tonight I did the walking workout. She says on the video it can help sometimes if you feel "tight" from housework, so I'm hoping that may be correct for moving something dumb, too. I drank lots of water and had one more Exedrin Migraine (had needed one for migraine pain earlier). That is pretty unusual for me to take a full dose.

Sunny and Cowinkie, I may take back what I said about "MyCalorieCounter" having the good point of helpful articles. Recently they sent by email a link to one of their articles that interviewed a nutritionist on exercise. :roll: (Already we ask, what is wrong with this picture.) She actually said (and the editor actually let get past her into print) that you couldn't tone certain parts of your body by exercising them, but that it was heredity that determined where you would tone up. :|

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Harriet I two have a sore back the tail bone specifically. Moving concrete blocks yesterday so today I was very careful. I did do a short walk stopped to chat at neighbors every house or two but did get a mile in. This after noon I did some pruning and clean up in the back yard what I could do.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 am

I've been counting shopping as exercise, because it and weeding is the only movement I get.

I'm celebrating my productive day yesterday. I still spent 4 'waking' hours in bed but that beats 8 hours in bed. Breaking up my days with naps and lots of reclining when the activity I'm doing can be done reclined (some internet surfing, reading, watching tv) is working well.

Dh and I are seriously considering trading in our Prius for a new Prius V (dh will buy it because I won't buy a new car but the savings buying a demonstrator are not worth the effort finding one would entail.) The rear seats recline so I'd be able to do longer car trips if we had one. Plus it was on our list of things to attain but not for another 12 months so it isn't as if this comes out of the blue.

I do need to see how far the back seats recline, though. I remember thinking that feature was good but I wasn't sick when I looked over the car at the dealership, so didn't actually test the degree of incline. My front seat reclines enough but that puts me out of position for both the front air bag and the shoulder/seat belt so I'm hesitant to recline more than a little in the front seat. The rear seat just has a side airbag so I shouldn't be in danger from that going off if I'm reclined.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 am

Hope your back improves soon Harriet - If you know any gently back stretches I'd tentively do those -
one I first encountered from chiropractor as a manipulation now has many variations during yoga classes.
I've had a bit ot trouble with stomach/gut pains Harriet - but seem not to have done too badly. Some morning hollow shomach ache - my description. ThoughI was still recovering from trying with the sheep yoghurt - now tossed on bin day. I'll try some low fat natural set probiotic yoghurt soon - when things are settled a few days. I think I was helped at the party - not eating tooo much. And knowing I'd top up on something good for me before I drove home. a banana seems to have hit the spot.

Nancy - when I've hurt my tailbone it really effected my ability to do stairs. I hope your recovers soon.

Kathryn - hope things continue to improve for you.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am

Harriet, I have walked an hour 17 straight days and all but 4 of them by myself. I am rather irritated at myself because I had all but 1 lb of the floating weight off and then 3 lbs have jumped back on. So I need to do a better job on keeping the calories down. My bs # have been good though.

I have 30 days counting today before we leave for the reunion. I decided to do the 30 day shred routine. I was doing it before dgd16mos was born. Hmmm just now getting back to it. This will help me start toning plus ramp up my metabolism, I hope.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I walked this morning and mowed this afternoon, to make up for my wimpy walk stroll & talk w/ neighbor's session last night. :roll: It was cooler and all the neighbors on my route were outside.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm still walking ddogs a.m. and p.m. at least 2/3 of a mile. It's more of a time issue most mornings as I've had to get out the door early - most evenings now I'm able to go three laps which is a mile. I know Macs legs have to be stronger, and mine as well.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”