Health & Fitness August 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Health & Fitness August 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 am

I feel unqualified to open this thread but will because I want to post while on the treadmill.

We are half way through the summer and now progressing rapidly to the end of the year.

Remember health is partly healthy eating and absence of illness but it is also being in a good mental state (which helps us with both the healthy eating and fitness levels.)

Like a snowball rolling down a hill gaining momentum and size, what little changes can you make to take advantage of the increased momentum you are developing as you pay attention to your whole being?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health & Fitness August 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

I wore a white skirt and white underwear yesterday. Success! I also had on a panty liner and when my period arrives my body sends me to the bathroom before there is any mess (assuming I have access to a bathroom.)

My headache was better yesterday, although I kept up with the advil. I was able to stop the tylenol I was taking as well. My jaw ached less so I still don't know if it was period or jaw causing the headache but will assume jaw and stick with daily doses of advil until after the last choir performance.

Weight was down a total of 3 pounds for July but that took me back to the middle of June before I went on holiday. I suspect there might be a weight drop in the next few days since my period is also good for weight drop.

But right now I'll settle for no headache and let the weight work itself out by trying to eat well and by hitting the treadmill as often as I can.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 am

Can't believe it's already August. Didn't a year used to be longer than it is now?

Kathryn--Glad your headache and jaw pain is better. No periods here for about 2 years. I don't miss it! Had ridiculously heavy bleeding and lower back pain towards the end, I remember.

DH and I walked last night. The hill near the end of our route makes for a pretty good workout. Need to be more consistent with the walking. Diet is ok. Mental health ok for the moment! Could stand to lose 10 pounds or so. DH needs to lose about 40. So we will focus on walking more...
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 am

Pretty consistent with walking the ddogs here - they remind me twice a day! Since we moved here, they've gotten two walks/day with the exception of yesterday a.m. when it was raining lightly, and I needed to get out of here to get to dmom's. We're not walking that far, and in the beginning it was only a little way. I was pleased with the way that Macs scuttled up and down a little hill along the sidewalk yesterday, then he stumbled stepping back up to the sidewalk. (He's had two rounds of surgery on his poor back knees, and back legs are weak. At our old house his back feet often went out from under him on the hardwood floors.

So his health is better and mine has to be better. I need to budget in enough time in the morning to continue walking when I go back to work (shudder) next week.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Elly: glad to know all these awful changes may be signs of the end. Can't come quick enough for me (today is a heavy flow day and I feel like a water balloon.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks, Kathryn! Smiling about the "qualified" thing. I know you're glad the headache left you. Good job on the 3 pounds.

ellyphant, that's nice to get to spend time walking with your dh.

Actually, Twins Mom, your walking companion sounds delightful, too. :)

Consistent - yep, that's the word.

I had my 6-mo appt with the hormone dr this morning. He said I looked good, although he didn't elaborate! I think he may simply have noticed I looked a little smaller and just wanted to say something positive. He didn't make any changes for me. I talked to him about my exercise and my way of eating, and although he was interested, he was non-committal, and said that in his experience what he wanted to hear was that his patients HAD a plan. That, he'd learned, was half the battle. Then, he said his next questions about whatever plan are always, "Where were you before?; Where are you now?; and Do you see improvement?" So he answered the last one "yes" for me and said to keep doing what I was doing.

My July report is that I lost inches all over in quarter-inches, but 1/2 inch at inch at both waist and abs. That's very positive.

Through August I want to keep exercising formally 3 times a week for a total of 2 hours per week. That's the level I've maintained for either 2 months or 2.5 - need to look it up.

Drinking my water, and eating is pretty good. Sleeping well.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:05 pm

I've been in the garden for my exercise, picked berries at the fav. fishing hole and did some laps around the mart store.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Walking dog 3k daily here continues.
I am taking care of my mental health by stepping away from a maddening situation. Needing to make the disconnect today. appealing to G*d for help.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 am

Lynlee: Good job caring for you mental health.

I'm on the treadmill again this morning. Got my 2 minute jog in today. I figured I should at least try it since my head wasn't hurting. Slept OK. It is very humid here and the house was opened up so the house is not very humid. I'm going to put the A/C on this evening while we are out in order to dry things up a bit. We are gone almost all day so the humid house won't bother us too much until we need to go to bed.

Not sure what our eating plan is for today. Meal plan says leftover shepherd's pie. But we'll be in the city at Presbytery. They have a microwave, though, so we could heat it up and eat it there. It will save some money and not waste the food. Can't have it for lunch because that's provided by the senior's group.

We've learned parking and dh's meals are paid for by the General Council so only our breakfasts and dinners will be tricky. And not that tricky - we eat cereal for breakfast so I figure we'll sing first then eat stuff from home after worship (which is at 8 a.m.), sing at lunch worship and then dh will have his V8's and I'll use his meal ticket. Dinner, I'll have to either pack something or buy something at the campus. There should be a Subway or similar there. That's only for 2 days but Tuesday is long (7 until 11 at night and starting at 7 the next day.)

There are three other difficult days - the 11th where I'm at the airport from 8 a.m. until 3:30 and then I have a practice at 5, change, eat something light, sing at 7ish. Unfortunately, we know that all times are approximate for General Council, if they are debating something contentious, or if pompous people speak too long at opening or closing ceremonies, our worship gets pushed back. We are assured it will never be early, though!

The 16th we are downtown for lunch and haircut for dh, then practice at 4:30 and perform at 7:30 so we have just over an hour to find something light for dinner. And the 18th we have worship at 10:30 or whenever General Council is ready to end. So lunch that day may be quite late.

But since all worship is around meal times as well, it will be a challenging week.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

Lynlee, I was listening to dd13 tell a friend's mother about an exasperating situation with other students during the past school year. She said "I just walked away from them!" And the friend's mother said, "That's the right thing to do. We all need to remember: WALK AWAY." Anyway, true words for so many situations. :idea: I know your dog is as happy as Twins' Moms' are.

Wish we could all just happen to run into each other on walks. :D

Nancy, appreciate your lack of chiggars! Here, I'd be eaten alive if I took "their" blackberries!

Today I made out a Healthy Habits Card for August 1 through 16 and put in on the fridge. I'm still happy with online daily notations, but I'm always keeping my 14 HHabits in my mind and want to get them "on paper" and in chart form sometimes. Yesterday I got in my 5 veggie servings but began questioning whether I'd gotten in that many in previous days :? , couldn't be positive. So it's just time to get it on the card-chart again and visualize.

Return to “Healthy Habits”