Health & Fitness August 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health & Fitness August 2012

Postby Harmony » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 am

I had the feeling at the dr. office that I was fighting against the measuring device on top of my head, so it's possible she had it a bit tight, scrunching me down a wee bit.

Interesting thing she told me about bone density... when people lose inches it's usually hip/lower back area that compresses. Then when they get bone density test done it shows a denser number than it really is just because those bones are squished together a bit. So, I guess that means some people who are shrinking have less dense bones than they think they do.

After conversation with her I had the first glimmer of acceptance to finally get on one of those bone-builder meds. Talking with DFriend from church, she tells me awful story of her mother, which brings all the "stories" of broken hips, etc., we all hear to a much more personal believable level. I have been refusing to take this stuff for years, but I may have no choice soon.

I've also been educated about what kind of calcium I should be taking...what we've been taking for years probably has not been working at all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 am

Praise Report

Got my blood work is in from yesterday. Great numbers! My liver enzymes are down to 2 - 3x normal (from 25x normal just 2.5 weeks ago and 10x last week.)

Itching is gone, pee and bowel movements are the right colour so I just have the fatigue to get over. Am actually thinking of heading back to bed now so obviously even good numbers can't overcome the fatigue!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am

K in C SO glad to read that you had good news!

I'm glad I had a good walk last night bs was ok this morning.
Plus a skunk had been in the area in the night so did not want to walk this a.m. went back to sleep.Pe-w-u-e-ee!

I am sore from the concrete work we did the other day muscles in my core that have not been used in a while or used differently. I think that was good for me.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks, Nancy.

And your mention of a walk reminds me that I haven't been outside yet today. I wonder if dh will take me for a walk? It was hot and muggy so if it isn't windy, I might stay inside due to bugs.

My period arrived this afternoon so I should be moving as much as I can since that helps with the cramping.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Happy Puppy Dance for you, Kathryn - if only your liver could have sent you a memo to let you know it was fighting something but that didn't mean it wasn't going to beat it. Isn't it satisfying to see marker/numbers normalize or improve. Will they take blood again soon or give it an extra berth of time?

Bone health - this sure is something that gets complicated. Like you mention, Harmony, people used to say take calcium and didn't explain further. Dr. Mercola says bone health is one reason he recommends switching from regular salt to Himalayan Crystal Salt, because so far scientists have discovered our bones are really composed of at least a dozen minerals. That salt has all of them, and in fact has all elements that are in our bodies. So even if scientists eventually say bones are composed of yet some 13th one, too, at least we would know our bodies did have access to a bit of all these through the salt. I bought a small container, and must say the product labeling is very modest and doesn't mention all Dr. Mercola says about it.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Glad you had good news on your blood test, Kathryn.

I've been wanting to post over here for a while as I think it would help keep me inspired and accountable. Just saying I wanted to watch my diet and eating habits wasn't enough to actually do anything. When our ds#3 and family visited in April he had an upcoming physical test due and was watching very closely what he ate and trying to do some sort of exercise every day. Several time he and ddil went to use the gym at the coast guard station and he charted everything on My Fitness Pal.

I have been using that website since Aug 1 and it has helped. The last year I was at work I started watching portions of food as well as staying off the starchy foods. My job kept me on my fee all day, 8 hours, except one 1/2 hr. lunch and 2 15 min. breaks. There was also a long walk to and from the car twice and a long walk to our break room across the whole building for each of those breaks. I went from 145 to 130. After I retired (in Jul 2009) it slowly crept back up almost without noticing until it was there again. I've been so disappointed in myself. My energy level is not the same as when I worked and I don't think I could be on my feet that long again. I know I have been more relaxed being home all the time, and I can see just by talking this all out that I need to be more active. Just doing the basic housekeeping is not enough. We go out shopping once or twice a week, but dh walks so slowly that it's not really a workout. So my next plan is to get on the treadmill.

Sorry this is so long.... I'm sure I will learn a lot from you gals!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Sunny, yikes I didn't realize that you had been retired over 3 years. Where does the time go?

Kathryn, so glad to see you improving daily and relieved at your much improved test results.

Day 4 down of being vigilant on what and how much I eat.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I've been wondering where all that time went too Lilac.

I forgot this when I posted last night....this link popped up on my FB page yesterday. I thought it was fitting for me. Point #1 in her blog reminded me of our Conga Fridays and point #3 reminded me of Twins' and Cowinkie walking their ddogs!

http://www.floridahealthyseniors.com/blog-2/
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:27 pm

For today's exercise I am counting picking berries got a gallon!
Also some walking at w-mart & the farmer's market.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:33 am

Bombed out at dgd2's party.
gluten. tiny bit of very rich brownie. pieces were < 1 square inch. So sugar and chocolate. anddairy in dip. I hadn't eaten lunch and just settled for what was on the picnic rug. Expecting repercussions.

Harriet - I just bought Himalayan Chrystal Salt. from Kalabagh with mentions of Parkistan. per 100g
Sodium 38.26g, Chloride59.09g, Sulphur 1.24g, Calcium 405.0mg, Potassium 350.0mg, Oxygen 120.0mg, Litium40.0mg, Magnesium 16.0mg, Iodine10.0mg, Iron3.89mg, Zinc 0.238mg, Bromine 0.210mg, Manganese0.027mg, Phosphorus0.010mg, Selenium0.005mg, Chromium 0.005mg
www.nirvanahealthproducts.com
Its packaged in Australia so that brand may not be available there. There was another brand which just listed 10 minerals.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”