Health and Fitness September, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2012

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:24 am

My number of steps are gradually getting a little better. I used to be able to get 10,000 in, no sweat. But now I'm struggling to even get to 5,000. I'm trying to focus on getting that number higher, but it's not easy in a 440 square foot home. I don't walk much outside for several reasons. I could go to the gym which has a walking track, but most of the time am too stingy to spend the gas. It's about 16 miles round trip. When we get to FL I'm sure dh and I will get out more.

Working really hard on my BS numbers and today it was down where it should be. Hoping to repeat that again tomorrow.

Started doing quite a bit of 'walking in place' this past week. Having to be careful not to do too much at once as I'm feeling it in my muscles (as in cramping). Need to spread it out a little more through the day I think so there's not so much in the evening.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:15 am

lucylee and I (and others here, probably) have walking DVDs we like, Dee. lucylee (correct me if I'm wrong) has Leslie Sansone, which I think can be readily found in stores, and I do the Step Away The Inches (T-Tapp, 20 minutes). Others may have more suggestions. It can be pouring rain and still a day to "go to walk".

My dmom had injections into the eye because of a stroke in the eye, Ivy. It was always done in the opthalmologist's office, so in one way it didn't seem like a big deal, but she still dreaded it. I remember the doctor saying, "I don't want to give up on this eye if you don't." and she would grudgingly admit she was ready to try another injection. Sigh. Wish there had been another way, of course! But they were quick.

Kathryn, with the pneumonia, all the wisdom was "a year to recover", too, and I'm not really doubting that. But it was certainly less than a year until I was spending many days at a time having forgotten about it. So even if my body wasn't fully well, it didn't have to be uppermost in my mind any more. If you remember, OKay had a diagnosis of pneumonia at that same time and heard the same wisdom, and I think she would say the same thing. In fact, I remember looking at OKay's posts and thinking, wow, how is she getting all that done - is that the same woman who had pneumonia! LOL. I'm not sure I kept up with her, but she did reinforce to me that yes, I was better before conventional wisdom thought I might be, too.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Dee, Thank you for telling me about the lady who got injections. :D It is like a group hug, here, I agree.

Harriet, I'm glad your dmom got those injections and that they were quick, too!

DH and I were talking this a.m. about "what if" and he keeps puttering around, helping out this morning, while watching football! :!: I'm going to write an OMM list of things to do and I'm also awaiting that book about de-cluttering, too. I think by de-junking, de-cluttering, organizing, etc.. It'll simplify life so much, no matter what the eye thing is. It's odd, but I have cataracts, too, and an epi retinal membrane on the left eye. So part of the "wishful thinking" part of me wonders, "what if" it's that and NOT wet! :)

DH just told me he was doing this puttering around, dusting and dust mopping, to get it done because he was looking around and he said it was looking pretty bad. :oops: Also, in our discussion, he said he'd take care of me no matter what and he could help us take care of the house together and it just makes my heart sing as to how much he must love me, and how much I love him, too. I write romantic stories and I'm a hopeless romantic. ♥ ♥

Kathryn, I didn't realize you had pneumonia! I was just reading your posts, didn't want to be intrusive, knew something had happened that you had been dealing with and I guess it was pneumonia. :?: I hope you keep getting stronger and stronger, too! :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Ivy, there's no pneumonia for Kathryn. I was only equating my (and OKay's) pneumonia recovery time-frame in the past to Kathryn's time-frame of recovery now. OKay and I had pneumonia at the same time and chatted about it a lot in 2010. Kathryn's probable diagnosis is hepatitis (ordinary type without any letter behind it). I should have been clearer and said "my pneumonia" instead of "the pneumonia".

Since I was again at my recent low weight this morning, I'm enjoying a no-calorie-counting Saturday.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 am

Good morning all! Today is a fake-it-until-I-make-it day so I'm pretending to be bright-eyed and bushy tailed!

(In fact, my eyes are dull and my hair more wild than bushy-tailed...)

Very rough sleep last night. I'm going to try and be optimistic and say that my afternoon naps are interfering with my sleeping at night, a very real possibility, and sign of potential improvement - before I could be in bed for 9 of the waking hours of the day and still sleep all night long.

This doesn't mean I don't desperately need the naps, especially if I need to be out in the evening, but I can't seem to get to sleep until about 1 - 2. Tonight I'll try melatonin.

I'm on the treadmill now but almost done. I've done 1.25 miles but will do my cool down arm stretches before completely stopping.

Ivy I have some unidentified form of hepatitis.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 am

Did not even go to church this morning as my knee is hurting when I move it at all. Attempting to get up and down without putting any weight on it. Been relaxing/snoozing with my heat bag on and I think it's a little better. I'll 'baby' it today and think about doing a little shopping later on.

I do have a new DVD that I haven't even opened yet, Harriet -have L Sansone's "Walk at Home" with 1, 2, 3, or 4 mile workouts. I'm sure I'll start with ONE. I can take that to FL with me if it works well. I think it's the way I've been walking in about 3 foot space that has my knee complaining. Feels okay when I do it, but later, oh my!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:57 pm

(Dee) I'm sorry for your knee pain.

Kathryn, I understand the DH thing. They just don't want us to be sick. I guess if they are in denial, they don't have to deal with how that feels to have an ill wife. Did he hear the dr. tell you a year to recover?

I think until I had a diagnosis, DH was skeptical there was really anything wrong with me. At least now he agrees that this is real. Oh, he thought I could get a shot and it'd be all better. :roll: Fixed, pronto! I set him straight on that and he was very surprised.

For the last month or so he's been spending every weekend outside pulling weeds. The grass looks wonderful, and I know this is something he's been wanting to get a handle on, but in the mean time, there's enough dirt inside to grow something in several places.

Ivy, I'm sorry about your eye problems. You are very blessed to have a supportive husband reassure you like that. That is a priceless benefit; if you could bundle up and sell his attitude, lots of us would pay a fortune for it.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Ivy... I have mac. Degenerate too, though it's not very bad right now. It was discovered about 7yrs ago. My friends mom is 84 and gets those shots in her eyes too. She gets them every 3 weeks and her vision is much better after she gets them.

Hepatitis is really hard on your body and it systems. The liver is a very vital organ. After the brain, the liver controls many of the emzines neede to maintain your working organs and body parts. Every one in my family has had hepatitis in one form or another except for me. There is a reason why you can never be a blood donor after you've had it. It takes a long time....months...for your body to recover. It's not like other things you can push your body into recover...relapse are very common if you don't take care of yourself and give your body the time it needs to recover. Don't get impatient and push too hard or you may end up having hepatitis all over again
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Dee, Sorry about your knee. I hope it gets better soon with rest.

Cowinkie, I didn't know you had mac. Deneration, too. I'm glad it's not bad. I was diagnosed 6 years ago, I think. I heard those shots work great, too.

I had Hepatitis A when I was 11 1/2. I drank contaminated water. I missed a semester of school. Kids treated me like I had the plague and was still contagious when I returned to school.

Kathyrn, Sometimes I think denial is a DH thing at our house. :roll:

I couldn't get to sleep until 2 a.m. last night. Was just laying in bed for 2 hours. I should've gotten up and wrote in my journal or something, to turn my mind off. I got a nap in. I hope I won't be awake too late.

Did you get some rest, Kathryn? Dee? :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”