Health and Fitness September, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness September, 2012

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2012

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 am

Walked pushing the stroller yesterday w/ dgd. :mrgreen: Found hen w/ chickens to buy for hen pen.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 pm

The headache is wearing me down. Don't know if it is from having my head on the pillow so many hours of the day.

I have restarted my back exercises and cool down stretches (without doing the treadmill exercise before hand.) Although this headache is starting at my neck, not my lower back, my hips are whining as well. I'm barely moving around at all and my body is getting weaker as a result. I can't go up or down stairs without holding on and doing them one stair at a time (as opposed to running up and down them before) and I use a cart in the grocery store, or hang onto dh when out. In church I had to balance myself with my hand on the back of the pew in front.

Weight is at 162. I began August at 165 so that's an improvement. (Went up to 167 during my first period, then down to 160 just before I got my appetite back and then up to 164 with the second period of the month.)

The Economist from a few weeks ago has an interesting article on Microbes and the Body.

As a result, I've bought some acidophilus in gel form. Plus one greek yoghurt. Then (after spending $30) I get home and discover that it causes bloating and gas. That's why I bought it, my digestive track doesn't seem 100% and I thought maybe it would help.

Anyway, I'd appreciate dosage and time of day recommendations.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:01 pm

My report for August is that I only missed 45 minutes of my planned formal exercise for the month, and, as Nancy counseled me, I believe I more than made up for it in end-of-month shopping trips on hard concrete floors. My waist is down 1/2-inch for the month and several other spots trimmed up by quarter-inches. I have some pairs of panties that are slipping as I walk along. I wouldn't tell this to anyone else in the world! :) So my H and F buddies must be special to me.

Kathryn, traditionally, the recommendation has been first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but twice recently I've read that some doctors are recommending a change to taking probiotics with food. Here's one who cites his research source and reasoning, and the other I read about is Dr. William Sears, the pediatrician who is getting rather famous these days. As of this morning I was still taking mine on an empty stomach, but wondering why. When I was still getting over the pneumonia and my dr told me to start these, he said for the first month he wanted me to take them twice a day, morning and evening, then go to maintenance of once a day. The number of strains is greatly varied in products, as is the "amount", usually stated in millions or billions or in some equally confusing way. If the packaging doesn't give you a recommendation, try looking the product up on the net to find out? I've never taken anything but capsules, or powder that had instructions.

Greek yogurt causes bloating and gas? Well, I like the stuff but had to quit anyway after reading the book we discussed here, "Dropping Acid". I had already suspected yogurt and cut down to just one brand that I found more tolerable, Fage, but she was very clear that some people just can't tolerate the fermented dairy. So I quit even that one, and yes, I'm better, so I'm one of the people whose acid reflux is definitely bothered by the fermented dairy. Smart woman.

Today I worked out for an hour, first doing the Arms workout before breakfast, later doing a floor workout.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:51 pm

I totally forgot about my walk. Maybe I can get in some time on the exercise bike. My pants feel looser so that is an improvement.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 am

I forgot to mention that I love Dr. William Sears. I've met him twice at La Leche League conferences and he's a lovely, gentle, man whose parenting advice was indispensable to me and dh (his football hold dh uses today with any little baby he gets his hands on.) I'll never forget him demonstrating how Dad's can use their Adam's Apple to calm an upset baby (he took a fussy baby from the audience and calmed her right down by tucking her head under his neck and then continuing to talk and letting the vibration of his Adam's Apple settle her.) Dd was a high need baby and his books taught me how to deal with her and gave me confidence as a mother that I knew my child the best.

My advice to new mothers is to read parts of several recommended books and to throw out the ones that feel 'wrong' to them and keep only the books that you think "I could do that" when you read the advice. Otherwise, you'll go nuts because parenting books are often in direct conflict with each other.

Off to read Harriet's links. When I first googled stuff I got concerned because I couldn't find any websites I knew to be reasonable talking about probiotics.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 am

I'm trying to develop a l*st of healthy habits that I want to track on a daily basis. For whatever reason, I'm having trouble putting them on SHE cards and have decided to track them in a different way.

So far I've come up with -
* eat 2 fruits
* eat 3 vegetables
* drink 64 oz water
* eat 1 cup legumes
* take vitamins
* portion size
* sleep 8 hours (or 7 hours with a nap)
* floss 2x daily
* exercise 30 minutes

What am I forgetting?
Comments?
Suggestions?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Back from another walk safely. Today I intentionally went where the construction crews were working figured no big cats would be hanging around all that commotion.

Re: Pr. of Cougars in the area prowling eating deer chickens dogs and horses ~ Asked h. about his revolver but can't legally carry it. Cops are patroling where I walk and one lives down the st. so I guess I'll be looking for my walking stick the ski poles have a bit of point end but can't get the circle thingie off it so that would not be deadly. A friend walks after dark I don't like to do that not much after dusk any more either. Rethinking the whole chicken thing ~ maybe spring for that it just might take me a really lo-o-o-ng time to paint it and get it ready LOL! :roll: I do like to carry a flash light w/ me if it's dusk when I walk. ~sigh~ don't really need any thing to more to worry about.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Nancy, wouldn't getting into your chickens be way down the list for a cougar, and a big disappointment to them if they had to eat chicken as they have their favorites in the wild? Also, aren't they pretty scared of humans? I'd think a good solid walking stick would make me feel safe. Of course, our big cats here are smaller than yours. They sound exactly the same, though, hard to listen to and not feel creepy. I know you will be glad when there are no more sightings - unsettling.

Actually, after reading Dove's comments elsewhere, I guess I can see where you want these cougars to leave, pronto.

Bought no-hormone milk at the healthy food store. Will have to see if this is helpful. A worthwhile product but time consuming to remember to return bottles, etc.

Dr. Mercola's newsletter this a.m. included a recommendation of a small company that sells their own recipes of canned (glass bottle) raw fermented veggies like sauerkraut but with more veggie variety. Within 3 hours, the company had to place all their items on "out of stock" status, even though they already had a 3-week wait time. Early this a.m. I had actually thought it would make a nice gift for HRH but waited too late to check back, lol.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:07 pm

attune probiotic chocolate bar from the healthy food grocery $1.19 was tasty and simple, not very large. Comes in dark chocolate (63 percent) and 2 types milk ch.

OKay, see if you see anything here that jogs a thought:
my healthy habits 4x6 card on my fridge tracks up to 5 pints of water, 5 veggies/fruits, vitamins, exercise by 15 min sets, and whether I can honestly say the day was mostly God Made foods. My exercise/measurement tracker calendar tracks more specific exercise notations like which one, etc., and measurements by week if I want to go that far (I go by month). My online food tracker does the record keeping for me of exactly what I ate, which I use mostly to judge whether I'm happy with calories, fiber and sodium, and it lets me track supplements in 2 parts. Actually, my supplements are much more complicated than just a checkmark or two, but as of now I'm keeping their tracking in my head. Previously. I was doing a much more detailed graph another lady who T-Tapps came up with. It had enough space for abbreviated descriptions of which supplements. It also had spaces for daily weigh-in and opinion of bowel movement that day :) . But that was so much to keep up with in addition to my others that I let it go. Now that I think of it, I was also tracking meds in it when dr had me on pneumonia stuff, so it's valuable that I have that info for reference.

I didn't realize you were getting in a full cup of legumes per day. I take a look at my fiber count otherwise and decide on either a half-cup or none, frankly. But I'm very impressed with you! Canned beans can carry a high sodium load so I am judicious with them. Dry beans are a commitment.

As you can tell, my balance between caloric content, sodium load, fresh water-filled foods and fiber in general is a tightly controlled situation! :lol:

Return to “Healthy Habits”