Health and Fitness September, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2012

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I got in my stretches and walked 30 min., did housework, so I've been moving today. Plan on napping once this afternoon, if I can. :idea:

Nancy, I'm glad your smoke has cleared out to a light haze. In our state, they said the students in Cashmere, WA got to go back to school today. I'm glad it's better, but a good rain would be so nice for everybody on both sides of the mountains! :!:

I'm glad you and I both walked! :D :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm

I did some time on the ex. bike today needed to make up for some walking
I missed out on this weekend. Did a short walk this morning also. Ivy joined you in the nap a thon too.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:40 am

I really need to come here and read these posts much more often. You gals are so inspiring in your health quests!

I really want a place to log my number of steps each day. I know the ultimate goal is 10,000 and I have a hard time getting much past 3,000-4,500. So I'm going to try keeping a daily log here, hoping to inspire myself to larger numbers on my pedometer. :)

Monday -Sept 24 - 3,589
Tuesday -Sept 25 - 4,606
Wed, Sept 26 - 5,265 (at least the # is climbing)
Thurs, Sept 27 - 3,545 (Thou shalt not 'brag' :? )
Fri, Sept 28 - 5,725
Sat, Sept 29 - 4,877

Just posted a recommendation in "SHES in the Kitchen" food reviews that might be interesting to diabetics in particular. Hope this is the 'slide'..... foodreview
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 am

I'm back from my walk. The other day I talked to a guy building a shop up the street and asked if he has scraps I could use for the nest boxes so I've been packing home lumber he sets out in a special spot for me to get. :mrgreen: He has not been to pleased :roll: with press board but today got some plywood I know he will like!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 am

Well, my doctor just called. I have thyroid disease. She is forwarding my records to my primary doctor, who I haven't seen in forever. So, I'll have to have some more tests done and apparently get on something. My number is on the cusp of what they treat, though dr. said it was "very high" and also even those with ok numbers are treated if their symptoms warrant it. I sure have enough symptoms. At least I know I'm not crazy. That's a relief. I forgot to ask about my B12. At some point I'll get a copy of these results. I wish it was routine to send copies to patients without us having to jump through hoops to get them - see I forgot to ask about something and didn't get all the info - AK!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:08 pm

At least you've got an answer to some of your wonderings, Harmony. I'm glad for that. DD has been on thyroid meds since last fall -one plus was that it upped her metabolism and at long last she's been able to shed a lot of pounds. Know it was near 70 when she was here. Dr. had always told her she had a very slow metabolism and her Dr now said that the thyroid meds would help with that. I don't remember her complaining too much about fatigue, but now that I think about it she probably was and just blaming her work load (at work, at home, and the stress added by her dd14.) With the additional stress she's had this year with dh's job, I would think it's about time for it to be checked again. May text her and ask her if that's in the plans.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Harmony, Good luck with being treated for your thyroid. I've been treated since about 1980 now. I was able to lose 111 Lbs., have more to go, but feel so much better. When you get everything under control, you'll probably notice a difference, too. My doctor has a patient portal and he emails the appt. info to me. Also, he prints out copies of instructions at his office, for me to take home, too. I'm glad you know you're not crazy and that you have something legitimate and hope you get back on track soon. Do you get really cold, too, sometimes? Just curious. It happens to me sometimes. I hope they get your thyroid levels worked out soon. You'll feel better.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks. Thyroid is so common amongst us ladies.

Couldn't get in to see regular dr. I wanted to see, he was booked till end of Oct. They wanted me to go to their walk-in clinic. Ah, no, not for this, I need to be established with a dr in a regular office, thank you. So I got appointment with another of their drs. who they tell me is sweet and nice (but does that translate into "good doctor"???) so we'll see. I can always switch, but I need to get the ball rolling.

I always thought we had better medicine than socialized medicine where you can't get in to see someone for long periods of time...but now I'm wondering, especially after the problems I had getting in with last 2 doctors.

My Mom had this, also my DD1, and now me. The dr asks her "aren't you tired" when hers is not the right number and she says, yes but I have 3 kids, how do you tell what's causing the tiredness. Dee, your DD might be in that same boat.

Ivy, I'm hoping this will help my weight loss battle too. I have that last 20 to lose.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:47 pm

My number is on the cusp of what they treat, though dr. said it was "very high"

I have no doubt this was the exact conversation. But it points out that there isn't an appropriate concensus of what they treat, why and when.

I forgot to ask about my B12. At some point I'll get a copy of these results. I wish it was routine to send copies to patients without us having to jump through hoops to get them - see I forgot to ask about something and didn't get all the info - AK!

It's the receptionist/office that sends it anyway - just call them anytime the office is open and say you want your recent bloodwork results mailed to you (or ready for you to pick up if it's close). Tell them each test it should be, and if they aren't seeing one at that moment they'll catch it then and get it straight before they put it in an envelope.

You certainly have several people you can ask, but among our family and friends Armour (non-synthetic) seems to be preferred. Dsil says she can absolutely tell the difference and gained her lost weight back during the time a dr put her on another, has only just been able to lose some again after being on Armour again. Other dsil says no weight help with the synthetic and is disappointed. DVetNeighbor, who knows SO much medically, is very happy with the Armour and wouldn't switch. I don't have anything to compare it with, but am on Armour because of those 3 opinions and others from church ladies.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Harmony, I'm so glad you finally have an answer to your symptoms. I'm sure you will start to feel better when you are on the medicine.

I have not posted here for a while, but since I started logging on My Fitness Pal I have stayed even with my weight. At least it is keeping me on track and I'm not gaining! I know I need to do more exercising over and above my routine daily activities. I'm not sure if it's best to walk the treadmill early in the morning or in the evening. Anyway that's where things stand now.

Just remembered reading a notice in our primary dr. office that they charge from $5.00 to $20.00 for copies of reports! :cry:

It's good to read here and see all the encouragement and good information from others. Keep up the good work!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “Healthy Habits”