Health and Fitness, September 2008

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September 2008

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:39 pm

Health advice just for autumn :) kinda jumped out at me from an article by Jeff Zwiefel of Life Time Fitness (apologies to those villagers who are actually thinking SPRING when September comes around - bear with us westerners!)

"Warm, sunny days, cool evenings and postcard perfect colors... ...get outside and enjoy the season by bicycling, walking, hiking, jogging, and playing golf and tennis. Explore parks in your area; find a new bike path through the woods, take a walk around a lake. The time spent out in nature will do as much good for your mind as for your body."

Zwiefel also says that the reason autumn is a good time to get reacquainted with INDOOR exercise is that the HABIT will take 21 days to form (Hey! We knew that!), so people who get used to using some autumn days to get back to indoor exercise are more likely to keep up regular workouts when the weather turns cold, rather than dropping it. He also has a definite preference for an autumn fruit:

"An apple a day: In many parts of the country, autumn is synonymous with the apple harvest. Rich in antioxidants and flavonoids, both of which reduce the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, inhibiting the growth of dangerous plaques along blood vessel walls, and dietary fiber, apples are a delicious and nutritious snack that can be enjoyed any time of day.

"Remember that each of us should be getting at least four to five servings of fresh fruit and vegetables every day. However, nine out of 10 Americans do not meet these recommendations. "

Gee! We Americans need to stock our crispers!
:o :oops:

lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2008

Postby lucylee » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Jan. 2 -- 156.5 -- exercised 18 days
Feb. 1 -- 156 -- exercised 7 days
Mar. 1 -- 155 - exercised 14 days
Apr. 1 -- 155 --exercised 10 days
May 1 -- 153.5 -- exercised 6 days
June 1 - 155 -- exercised 10 days
July 1 -- 154 -- exercised 15 days
Aug. 1 - 155 -- exercised 9 days :oops:
Sept. 1 - 157 * Well, what could I expect, cutting exercise almost in half... PLUS "rewarding" myself for being the good wife and accompanying dh to ballgame by eating just about everything that crossed my path or caught my eye!

Blood pressure has been fairly good here at home -- maximum of 135, 136 over something. I will carry my own readings to doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, he won't think I'm just making them up to try to convince him I'm okay!

I have drastically cut down on caffeine. Can't say I'm making much headway in other areas. :oops: :roll:
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

How do you get your 5?

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 am

I do try for the 5 fresh fruits or veggies recommended, do you? I have fruit for breakfast and that is usually the end of my fruit eating for the day. It was a concept from Fit for Life, learned in the 70s,(?) which has always served my tummy well ! Eating fruit with other carbs and veggies doesn't bother me so much, but with meat it's a bad idea. (And I adore pineapple pizza, which sometimes doesn't bother me if it is ONLY a cheese pizza!)

Sometime during the day I almost always have a salad large enough to consider it 2 veggies. Even onto that salad I might cut up something extra, a quarter of an avocado, for instance, so to be a stickler, maybe some of my salads are 3 veggies-worth, but I count them as 2.

If we stir fry a veggie, such as broccoli, I consider that fresh, too, though I suppose that may be stretching it. (Do you consider it eating "fresh" if you eat immediately after cooking, or is that not the point? Ultimately, in winter, can you really sustain "fresh 5" eating?)

Cucumber is a lovely fresh side dish to set out through the summer. It never seems to bother me or dh, although one hears a lot of complaint about it. Before bed, if I realize I haven't had 5, I will sometimes munch a stalk of celery, which has never affected my sleep at all unless for the better. (Otherwise eating late may mean I don't rest well.)

Good for you in cutting down caffiene, lucylee. Is that considered a help for bp? I'm sure the doctor will be completely accepting of your home record-keeping. They ask people to do that all the time. Hope you learn from doctor that there are just a few things you can do nutritionally that would be smart for bp, and that the heartbeat thing is unimportant. My mom has a heartbeat that is a little different and she is 92 and fine, so in and of itself it could mean diddlysquat like it does with her. (technical term)
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:16 pm

5 per day. Nah... I probably don't ever get that.
I start the day w/banana & cereal... so that's 1.
Then at lunch, I usually have carrot sticks. 2. (Today, after doctor, I had fruit cup w/my Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets.)
Sometimes, after school, I'll eat an apple. 3. (Didn't today.)
Two more... hmmm... sometimes, salad with or for supper. Sometimes it's big enough to count for 2. So that could be 4 & 5...
but usually, I probably pan out at 3. And it's almost all fruit. :oops:

Tonight, I had chicken stew for supper, and a bowl of strawberries, so I had 4, if we're VERY generous counting the stew. It was not just brimming full of vegetables, but I guess it did have a lot of tomato juice.

I think the doctor said cutting caffeine would help blood pressure, Harriet. Doctor today didn't mention it, except to say no caffeine for 24 hours before stress test. It seems logical to me, though, since caffeine hypes most people up so much. I'm still allowing myself the one diet coke before school, and I don't worry about it when I'm not home, like this weekend, but I am drinking non-caffeine at home at night.
It doesn't really effect me too much. I drank large diet coke on the way to ball game and slept probably at least two hours on the way... then had 2 at the game and one on the way home, and slept almost three hours coming home! :roll:
BUT... I think leaving it off helps me sleep better during the normal week. I'm more ready to go to bed at a normal hour.

* Editing to say -- I just ate my apple. Woo hoo for me. Has to be 5 fruits/vegetables now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:23 pm

Our digital scale says low battery. I have the regular scale, of course, sitting right beside it (we are a two-scale couple, lol). I have always checked both. Somehow, not knowing my weight to the exact half-pound, and instead only guessing along with the arrow doesn't seem thorough! LOL!

I wish Peeper were here so I could tell her I did finally buy a nice full length mirror (nice in that it has a wider frame than the college dorm room one, and more hardware options). Now, if it took me this long to buy one, how long before it is hung?

With intense days of outdoor work lately whenever dh has extra time, we've been on the Construction Worker's Diet (work until you need something from the home improvement store, grab a late restaurant breakfast while you're out, then keep working).

And I guess the same experts are in charge of my exercise. I'm tired, sweat a lot, have aches afterward, but my body's not convinced anything good will come of it.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Sadie

Postby Sadie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 am

Wanted to post before the month ran out.

Lost my diet program through a crash so don't know how much weight I've lost this month. Know I've lost 51 pounds since December 07.

Weight is at a standstill right now as I've been eating more fruits to build up my vitamins and minerals for upcoming surgery. My new diet program is more detailed. Diet program showed I was lower in Vitamin A, been eating cantaloupe as they are on sale a lot now.

Also added pineapple to my dinner meals.

Still haven't got an exercise program going, and looks like I won't until around the first of the year.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Hi Sadie - I've never posted in Health before, but wanted to cheer you on for losing 51 pounds!!!That is amazing to me, and you should be very proud of accomplishing this on your own, with all your other responsibilities. I watch Biggest Loser, and am always impressed by their weight loses, but that is all they do for 4 months. No other daily responsibilities or jobs like you. Big cheers for you, and I'm sure the excercise plan will come together when it is meant to be.

Sadie

Postby Sadie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am

thanks Sherinjoy!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

Just thought perhaps Indiana's SHEM from Monday, Sept. 22nd, bears repeating somewhere -this seemed like the most likely place. :)

Never open the refrigerator when you are bored. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
(or the cupboard for that matter. :? )
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 am

Back from vacation lost 2 lbs.
It helped planning in time for walking exercise and
having our room up so we used stairs.

Dr. is still tweaking my insulin amount until we get
my a.m. levels down a bit more;
thyroid is good now.

Cold weather here now and it's brisk like fall now
sort of refreshing but makes indoor exercise quite a bit
more appealing these days especially in the mornings.

Back from the dr. today [Thurs. 9-25]
Got a good report love those kinds of visits!
He liked my bs [blood sug.] tracking page in my planner.

Return to “Healthy Habits”