Health & Fitness October 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health & Fitness October 2012

Postby Lynlee » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 am

Ivy - I'm meant to stay off chocolate too for FM too .. and intolerance issues too. Had some on thursday and 2 days of muscle spasm neck and headaches.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Lynlee, My muscle spasms seem to pop up around the back to side ribs and the hip area. Once in awhile I'll get them in my upper arm, to. DH cooked a chicken stir-fry with a packet of seasonings in with the noodles. My entire body was throbbing. I got that headache you get when you've eaten something wrong and are reacting to it, too. :roll: It's strange how Aspartame sometimes makes me feel "funny", too.

They say how dark chocolate is good for the heart, for making endorphins, and giving us a feeling of wellness, but if I have over 1 piece at 1 time, it's overkill. We just need to remember our limits. :idea: But it's hard, too, because we'll be feeling so great, will forget we're not like others, we eat something and then BOOM! :!: :roll:

Another thing that gets me is if I have something like ice cream with topping or buttermilk pancakes. I'm lactose-intolerant, but can eat cheese. I have Almond Breeze Coconut "milk"on cereal. One thing I like it make instant oatmeal, mixing in an applesauce cup and it's so hearty and filling. :idea: :)

I can't have chocolate, tomato sauce or acidic things because of gastritis. So, I have to remember or pay the piper later. :( But life is so MUCH BETTER now, knowing what's causing once because before a diagnosis, I thought I was going crazy. :oops:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:48 pm

The S O brand of coconut milk is also good, Ivy and I think there is also even a 3rd one here but can't remember that name. I just make sure to look for unsweetened. I used to think "Original" was the same but learned that often the "original" was the one they put all the sugar into! Then if I had it on even a slightly sweet cereal, yuck. The reason I switched to coconut milk from almond milk is that I read almond is not as good for the thyroid.

Ivy, what are the symptoms of your gastritis?

I am going through a spate of not exercising. This happens to me sometimes. I feel well, I just can't make my brain go to exercise. This doesn't alarm me - I think sometimes I just need a new start afresh with a little excitement, and have to wind down first to do that. I recognize that the other things I have recently made priorities were correct choices, so I know it's not signaling anything negative, just different. There will be an "attitude adjustment" and I know it will include a new idea/plan for exercise when it is time.

When dd and I walked through the sporting goods store for her ankle stabilizer, there were Zumba shakers (1 pound weights that make a Latin-music sounding rattle) for 9 dollars. I offered to buy them for her but she said no. I wouldn't buy just for myself because I'm not that into Zumba, and Teresa Tapp questions the use of swinging weights at our hands (although I think she means higher weights might not be good for the back. She'd probably be fine with 1 pound.) The great-looking workout wear there is so tempting, but I know from experience it never looks as good on me as I think it will, lol, and I also know that in truth it is loose-fitting, comfortable clothing that is best for workouts.

Btw, the report from dd is very good. She says the stabilizer has done a great job during PE class and she has never had so much fun as with their recent lessons in Volleyball. She is on a fun "team" who play well together and she's loving it. We know the mile run is coming up and it is doubtful she will make a good time/score at all, but she has great scores otherwise and so she can be content. This is called the "Shock Doctor Ankle Stabilizer with Flexible Support Stays".

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 am

Ivy - The making of cheese and yoghurt uses up the lactose in the dairy - so you are most likely lactose intolerant. If I persist in eating either it affects me so it may be the protien is cause of problems, or maybe its some other combination of things. , though I seem to be ok with goat milk products - though it contains lactose too and some say the protien/ some other chemical is not dissimilar to A2 milk.. I need steer clear of chocolate if I want to be headache free. I don't have an easy stop button so avoidance needs be my byline. Lots of things are on my avoid list.
I'm back more consistant with daily walking.

Attempting to get my evenings and bed times better arranged for more / better sleep. Last night worked well at least.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

My knees are feeling better so have put on the pedometer again -haven't done it for a few days, waiting for some recuperation. So I'll see how I do:
Monday, Oct 8 -
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 am

On the treadmill again. My computer here is running really slow. Really, really, slow, either Windows or Avast must be trying to do some update in the background. It took 8 minutes and three tries to get Chrome to open. The only update required by XP is for IE6 which I don't even have on my computer. Setup is supposed to be trying to run but I'm not installing anything so I'm worried.

At 2% grade the treadmill is creaking very badly so I upped it to 2.5% which means I'm feeling the extra push.

Slept ok last night but only after taking an advil. Had a really bad headache which woke me up twice so I took something the second time. Even so, it took an hour to fall asleep after that.

Big day here with Presbytery meeting tonight (boring, long and long drive away.) So I need to pace myself carefully in order to have energy for the 6 hours it will take from me.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Did my walk this a.m. before I left for errands.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Harriet, I rarely have gastritis now, but when I do, it's pain in the abdominal area. It's inflammation of the lining of the stomach. It's brought on by stress, acidic foods, etc...

Lynlee, I am lactose intolerant. My dr. had me do the elimination diet and he diagnosed me. I've been this way since age 19 and I'm 60 1/2 now. It's hereditary, too.

I walked 45 min. today! YAAY! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 am

On treadmill again. 1.9 miles today. And higher heart rate today so I'm quite sweaty and looking forward to a shower. Spent the time sending a long email to a friend who wrote me unexpectedly this morning.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Way to go gals!

I did a bit of a walk last night before dinner around the loop,
and again today and one extra lap at the store. Hoping to get more in when dgson is here after school today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”