Health & Fitness October 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health & Fitness October 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 am

Took yesterday off the treadmill.

The computer was never shut down, I had done updates and rebooted but didn't shut it down on Wednesday. Yesterday it wanted more updates and reboot so I did that and it was still up when I got on this morning. Despite that, it took 6 minutes until I could get anything to work. Sigh...

Anyway, I was stiff yesterday and this morning from my floor exercises. Lot of limping on Wednesday night and all day yesterday so I only did 3978 steps yesterday but that impressed me since I didn't walk at all. I did do some tidying in the house and all the moving around as I loaded everything into the car. The day we picked up the car I did 8794 steps because I was on the treadmill plus all the walking for the shopping and getting the car.

I have a seminar tonight and tomorrow so I'm hoping to hit 5K each day. Today should be easy since I'm on the treadmill. Tomorrow, I'll have to walk a fair distance to get safe all-day parking so that will help get the numbers up.

Energy level is noticeably better than 2 weeks ago. But the nap, for at least an hour each day is non-negotiable. At least I haven't had a melt down this week. I think dh got better about not pushing as hard after he had to deal with them two days in a row.

My period came unexpectedly on Wednesday. My period for September was 2 weeks late. This one came exactly when it would have, had the September one been on time. Instead I had my period arrive on Monday last week and again on Wednesday this week. Sigh... Note to self, never travel without packing supplies.

On the bright side, it explains the killer headache I had on Sunday night.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am

K in C glad you got more energy!

Yesterday I broke my walk in to three segments. Due to time conflicts in my schedule granny duty errands etc. Today I'll do it all at once.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I only walked 15 min. by my timer yesterday, but I was busy all day. I need to get back into the habit (dr.'s orders, too!) of walking 1/2 hour daily 6 days a week. I'm down to 169.1 Lbs. now, am shooting for 140-150 Lbs. and the holidays have me concerned with all the goodies out there to eat. :roll:

I'm losing in order to have less osteoarthritis pain and so the scoliosis isn't pulling as hard, so I have good incentives, plus to have more energy and just to be finally at goal after all these years. Was 280 Lbs. in 1992, mostly due to medications I was on, sleeping a lot, eating too much, watching 4 or 5 soap operas, and I just wasn't "me" anymore. Life has changed so much for me since then; a new house, new outlook on life, better medications, and I do notice more energy and less osteo pain, too, already. :D

Kathryn, I'm glad you have more energy, too. :D It's nice to hear that you are feeling better. :D

Nancy, That's a smart idea to break up a walk into 3 segments while doing granny duty errands, etc.... I might break my walking up, and then total it up at the end of the day. At least that would be a good start. :idea: Thanks for the idea! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Got most of my walk in before noon today.
Yd. work and cleaning carport was the rest of my ex. for the day.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I walked 30 min. before breakfast. I don't know what got in to me, but I decided to just do it and get it over and done with. I've been lax lately on my walking, which is so unlike me. I need it for health reasons, for nice-feeling endorphins, to keep loosened up joints and walking is a win-win situation! I'll try to continue to walk and report here. Maybe it will make me more accountable to myself since others will read if I walk or not. :idea:

It's very motivating to see what all everyone else is doing, exercise-wise.

Happy Moving! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 am

You and I weigh just about the same, Ivy. Wanna race? :lol: I'm not exactly feeling like racing right now. But getting better I think. I do need to keep the weight going down -know I feel better already. Have lost just about 15# since the end of July.....and I definitely feel better for it. Can only imagine what another 5 or 10 pounds will feel like. I'm off!

Forgot to reset my pedometer for 2 or 3 days and had about 7,500 on it. Yesterday I did around 2,240 -not bad considering I vegged most of the day. I've reset it today and hope to get near 4K today, while taking it a little easy.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Ivy, I spent 8 months or so :oops: losing 10 pounds and just finished that up a few months ago. Villagers here have encouraged me as I lost 25 though, a few years back. This more recent 10 had been a slow backslide, lol, an increase probably due to thyroid among other things. The slow rate of loss may have had to do with thyroid, too.

I read yesterday an interesting opinion that if you want to lose ANY weight at all, letting go of sugared drinks is just a GIVEN or else you are working yourself unnecessarily hard, since we gain as easily from those as we do from anything we put in our mouths.

Yesterday I started back with Basic workout.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Harriet, I don't think I drink sugary drinks, except International Coffee in the morning, but I have the thyroid problem. :roll: That's a good tip to know! Thank you! :D

Dee, That's great that you and I weigh about the same! :!: I don't wanna race! :lol: You'd probably win sometime during your FL stay. Sunny weather, walks outdoors in the nice warm breeze??? :idea: I've lost about 13 Lbs. since May 20. It's sure slow to come off, isn't it? :roll:

I walked 30 minutes today, which is on my list to come here and log that I've done it, so others see if I'm being good or not. :idea: I get 1 day off a week, the dr. said, but I'm going to try to walk all 7 days this upcoming week. I'm trying to limit the nighttime snacking, too. :idea:

And when I putter around the house, I move. I used to write myself a poster and it said in block letters: MOVE TO GROOVE! :D And I put stickers on it that said, "You go, Girl!" and it helped for me to remind myself to keep motivated. That's when I didn't have anybody to share with, once my walking partner went legally blind and stopped walking with me. :(

Do any of you have memories about doing The Jack LaLanne Show with your Dmoms" Mom used to exercise to that show. In more modern times, my DF who went legally blind and I used to work out to Jane Fonda's first video. Talk about feeling the burn! :o My DF used to drive me to gyms in the area, or we'd meet at the college pool for what she called, "Aqua-A". ;) She still walks around with a walker and uses weights and she turned 96 in August. She had gained weight, after giving birth to twins at age 40, so when I came on the scene, later, she was trying to lose. She did, too. She's one of these loveliest people, with a soft-spoken sweet voice, always a real good BFF to me. Anyway, I've always know, by looking at her, no matter what your age, you can move, lose, and be healthy, too. She's a great example.

Do any of you have an oldster in your life, who continued to remain fit on into elder years? Just curious. Don't know if my DF is one of a kind or not. :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Hubby's granny was active in her elder years I could barely keep up with her.

I've done my walk today after church and raked some leaves and moved a stack of stuff off the patio for my exercise today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Ivy, my dh (same age as me) has memories of Jack LaLanne on tv but I do not. So it's possible different tv markets were showing different things. Of course, his family simply may have watched morning tv when mine did not because of different school or work times - not sure. Anyway, he has always been a great admirer of LaLanne.

Mantras - Another mantra I learned from T-Tapp trainers for use anytime you are relying on video workouts is "Just Push Play". :lol: In other words, just let the workout get started in front of you, saying, for instance, that you'll do the beginning stretch. Then, it's surprising that you say to yourself, well, I'll maybe do the next move. Then you decide to go a few more minutes, etc. Pretty soon you are close enough to the end that you find it is an incentive to complete the workout.

I heard a lot of good things about Fonda's video but didn't buy it. I bought The Firm circa 1996 as my first one I think and my older daughter and I did it together (lost or damaged, not sure, but have recently replaced it). We bought their wooden "step" which I still have. Then Cher's which was remarkably well reviewed. Then Richard Simmons. My older daughter went through a phase of Billy Blanks kickboxing by herself. Then we found T-Tapp in 2001 and have both done it ever since.

I'm gonna go "Just Push Play."

Return to “Healthy Habits”