Health and Fitness November, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness November, 2012

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 am

As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Welcome to our thread about benefiting health and fitness! We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance.

Any Calendar Event Goal Setting going on? Tis the season, :) , and we support you! Accountability provided here!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness November, 2012

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Walked about a half mi. pushing dgd in the stroller. Now it's raining so will need to think about finishing on the ex. bike. I finished my walk after the rain quit and then the sun came out! :mrgreen:

Did not get candy this yr. only had one trick or treater did not turn on the outside light.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 pm

I've been tracking my water intake using Harriets method converted to elastic bands on bottom of my glass as they are drunk. Aiming for 8 a day.
trying to get back to yoga twice a week.
Walking daily. 3 k at days end if I can and the days not gone or already been to busy. A shorter walk those nights.
and sitting up straight. feet on floor not crossed. trying to remember to slide shoulder blades down my back helps with my shoulders and back and neck I hope.
Trying again with suppliments. I think the E thical N utrients Gensing 5 is helping with a little energy and motivation - though still no whirling tornado of activity here.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Reporting in to keep my focus on health & fitness.

The bad -
** Candy bowl is full and I'm partaking of it. arrrggggh
** I'm eating way too much and haven't logged my food for today
** No exercise (but I did walk over 6000 steps just normal doings)

The good -
** I made a weight goal to reach by EOM.
** I didn't dodge this thread. Showing up should count for something.... :roll:

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 am

My only good news to report is that I'm here, posting.

Nap time is becoming more important, not less so I'm starting to think that it will be long past Christmas before I'll be able to give those up.

Lunch yesterday was at the diner. Aside from the calories we also said we'd be there to sing at their Christmas dinner. Since we'll be there from 10 - 2, and our Christmas dinner will be in the evening, my nap time on Christmas Day will be very limited. This could be a disaster. HGP will be extremely important, so I'd better draw up a plan now that has Christmas Day as turn-key as possible. At least dd will here and she can help with the cooking while I nap.

Not being able to plan ahead with certainty on how my body will react is tough.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Thank you for all the honesty here. :) ♥ It helps to ease deciding to offer mine! :lol:

My overarching recent problem, as I look at my records, seems to be the 5:40 alarm clock that began in late August. When that started, my schedule, energy, plans, ooooommmf and optimism all took slow dives. I look at my record keeping and can see the start of school as the beginning of the end for regular-enough exercise, for consistency in good eating habits, etc., etc. Very frankly, good sleep beginning at 9: or 9:30 just never got correctly underway. I am as likely to get inadequate sleep and have to take a nap after the school run, or after an attempt to get "in the swing" following the school run.

My saving grace may be on its way, though - the time change that happens tomorrow night. My stubborn circadian rhythms can let circumstances slip "back" an hour, and according to the sun and my unhappy brain, the alarm will wait to ring until "6:40" ;) . Wise bedtime will be "10: or 10:30" ;) , which should be a lot easier to accommodate if I will make an effort to watch that evening clock and try this 9 o'clock thing again! :roll:

In my life, I've had a lot of odd hours to keep. Am I just getting too old to manage it? :?

My Goal will be consistency. I know what consistency looks like so I should recognize it if I see it again! :lol:
Water, God-made foods, healthy supplements, regular exercise.

OKay, it's good to have you posting regularly and I have confidence in you for your weight goal.

trying to remember to slide shoulder blades down my back helps with my shoulders and back and neck I hope.

Lynlee, yes, I know that good feeling of having the neck relax that way. Here is how I was taught to get the areas into good alignment with a shoulder-roll. With arms loosely at sides, turn your palms forward, then roll your shoulders up and back, which will lift your ribcage into good posture without having your shoulders "pronated" (or forward-postured). Your palms will probably turn even more during the roll and will almost be facing to the sides - that's good. This flexes the "lats" muscles in the back at the bra line. Allow your arms and shoulders to relax and hang naturally after the roll, but keep your ribcage up. I do this before anyone takes a photo of me when I can! Harmony will laugh at this because I had us doing it before her dh took our photo years ago when her grandchild was born. I try to remember it when I walk into a social situation, too, because it makes me look better and at the same time reminds me to relax my neck/shoulders and not hold tension there.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Yard work and walk were my exercise today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

I'm strongly resistant to getting on the treadmill today. Not quite what Harriet had in mind when she chose the opening words!

I'm on it but grumbling. I did over 9000 steps yesterday and would have skipped today but there will be no electricity in this room tomorrow morning so a workout then is impossible. Besides, because ds is here, it means I can't use the spare bedroom to hang up clothes to dry so that means my treadmill gets put into use. The load of laundry is on now and I'll set the drying rack up on the treadmill and hang the clothes up when I'm s2s. Since I'm not working out tomorrow, they'll have until Monday morning to dry. I'm desperate for underwear hope some will have dried by tomorrow!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I keep trying to modify my diet, seeking those foods that are lower acid. I've given up many things, chocolate, tomato, peanut butter, butter are the biggies for me. I have discovered I can eat a turkey sandwith without mayo, and it's not too bad. An english muffin is very dry without butter, though. I'm down a couple pounds since I started this.

Still unable to get on my bike. I have 0 energy still. It's like this "thing" I have will never get fixed or go away. I was absolutely sure about Oct 30 I was about back to normal and I worked away like I used to. Been paying for that ever since.

Lab tests coming up in about a week and 1/2, drs. visit to follow.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm

I failed about 1000 times this past week. However, I succeed enough times to see the scales headed the right way a couple pounds.

I'm trying to be realistic how devoted I can be to carefully monitor & log what I eat. I am trying and I'm going to continue to try.....I am not giving up. However, I also know some phases of life are so busy that it isn't possible to keep it at top priority. The next 5 days have 9 medical visits, LO case before the judge, surgery support for VDFriend and cooking for Thanksgiving meal @ church.....on top of the normal doings with MPB, DParents, LO care, etc.

I may not be able to log the food every single meal, but I can make healthy choices.

Return to “Healthy Habits”