Health and Fitness December, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness December, 2012

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 am

Twins' Mom, what did you decide about that calendar event goal? I wonder if Subway breakfasts are relatively good for us. I haven't done research on them, but certainly I would say they exceed McD's. What I need someone to invent is a drive-up-window restaurant that serves healthy food. There have been times it's the window that is the whole reason I ate at a place.

Ivy, I like birthday goals, because it's very private and seems like a gift you give yourself. Best wishes.

Nancy, how are your arms feeling and looking? Great job on the progressive workouts for them.

For losing weight, benefits of correct eating do outdistance benefits of exercise for sure, Kathryn. Very much impressed at bookstore skimming Bob Harper's new book, The Skinny Rules: The Simple Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin. He really zeros in on what goes into our mouths as the important thing when losing weight. (I like how he always puts his co-author out front rather than having the pretense of a ghost writer.) I found little to disagree with in a skim, except that I think potatoes do have a place in a weight-conscious diet - they never slow my weight loss.

I did see that this was the quote of the day today, however, in the Mercola newsletter, not really mentioning weight-loss-mode but pointing out so much that is weight-related:

Did you know that exercise has the same effects brought by calorie restriction? Both can lead to improved insulin sensitivity, decreased fat, and lowered cancer risk. Exercise can also lower your risk of premature death by helping you avoid hypertension, obesity, and heart disease.

yesterday was
4 pints water
no sugared drinks
all supplements
short floor workout
apple, prunes in my oatmeal, potato salad, crowder peas, half cup potato

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Harriet thanks for asking: My arms feel great yesterday did some raking cleaning the chicken pen felt like a light duty work out it was my day for that yea! Chickens were very happy with my work as well or it might have been the 40* temps. :lol:

I'm considering bringing up my #3 wts. for arm workouts while doing tv viewing, & on the ex. bike did that yesterday morning too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I watched a PBS special last night on the brain and thought of you all here in this thread. It was based on a book: Use Your Brain to Change Your Age by Daniel G. Amen M.D. I took notes quite a bit on diet exercise, dealing with grief & depression, and learning something new 15 min. each day and the diff. things we do that use diff. parts of the brain. To improve brain health and function. These things also help skin and the rest of our bodies as well. I'd seen parts of this before but was glad to see it all.

I tried a couple new ideas with salmon spread in a dip and for deviled eggs hoping these are a bit healthier.

Moving stuff out of the soon to be chicken coop counting as some exercise for both arms and legs today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 pm

HaHa, DGSons, when they were here for Thanksgiving, asked me to show them my arm muscles. So I did and we all laughed and laughed. They call my arms "Grandma arms". They are fascinated with the changes in my skin, and look at my arms and hands... like I'm some freak or something; ah, no we all get there someday!

So a couple days ago, DGS13 was coming home from his workout class (that's what the football team does once a week after their games are through) and I talked to him in the car. I told him to be diligent with those arm exercises or he'd end up with "grandma arms". :lol:

I'm feeling so much better. Looking forward to getting started with something after the holidays.

Speaking of arms, Nancy, keep up the good work!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 am

I did my ex. bike time while supervising dgson's home work he was coping an essay then later used the #5 wts. for arms trying to help the "wings" part go away! LOL! :lol:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 am

I'm down 1.3 Lbs. and I walked 35 min. today! :!: Yeah! :D I hope to walk tomorrow, too. :idea: I also did some stretches today. :)

Harriet, Yes, personalizing goals by using a birthday is a good way to remember them. :idea:

Nancy, What are progressive workouts for your arms? :?:

Kathryn, You do great on your treadmill. :D

I have ankles, which pronate (turn left to right, right to left or in other words they wibble-wobble back and forth.) So I wear AFO's, which are Ankle-Foot Orthotics. Mine are custom made $2,000 ones with suede on them, very nice, and they go up my shin about 8" or more. I don't wear shorts, skirts, or dresses in public because they show. Anyway, to make a long story short, it's very easy for me to twist my ankle because of the pronation. I've talked to my Physical Therapist AND my podiatrist, in how do I start riding my recumbent bike regularly when if I go too fast, I end up hurting my ankles. :roll: They both said:
- For week #1, go 5 minutes, once a day.
- For week #2, go 10 minutes a day.
- After 6 weeks, I believe, if my math's correct, I'll be able to go 30 min. a day. I just need to remember to do it moderately and I think reading on my Nook book would be an incentive, too.

I hope to be moving more in the New Year! :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I don't know if progressive is the term or not.
But what I do for arm workouts is over head from the elbow reps. in the morning w/ out wts. before I leave the mattress I do 135 of these I've been doing them a while. Later in the day I do total gym arm work out trying to follow the examples of work outs I see on the infomercials I see on T.V. I started out at a lower level and did 35-75 of those. I've increased the incline and can only do 35 now after the first week. I try do do a rowing motion I cannot do the one where one is up on knees pulling I feel too unstable.
I have my #5 wts. upstairs and use them sometimes like if H. has the cave tied up.

I've added a reverse push up this week as well they are pretty easy on this machine. If some thing is hurting I stop skip a day reduce it.

Last fall I would try to rake or do some type of yard work for at least 20 min. a day, the day I clean the chicken pen I can skip the arm work
outs if I want.

Did my ex. bike 4 mi. last night & arms during the day too.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I walked 1/2 hour today, never had any cookies, ate healthy all day and we're having a healthy dinner, too. :D I snacked too much last night, so I had again this morning, but it served me right and is a great motivator to what happens when I do that! :!: :roll: I'll try harder this weekend, too. :idea: :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 am

I bought some dried cranberries on friday when I started with what I thought was bladder discomfort / pain. It really helped - pain there stopped - but think I've over done it as my neck easily goes into tension into headaches with salicylates. Took 1/2 an antihistemine which helped. I'll need to keep the cranberries just rationed out as needed. Stone fruit did the same .. and manderines too.Its stone fruit season so I'll try not to geet any this year.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Today moving a cupboard and sawing with a hand saw counts for my exercise while we were finishing up the play house conversion for the chickens today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”