Health and Fitness December, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness December, 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 am

Stayed off the treadmill on Friday and Saturday due to knee issues.

When the knee was out, it was very bad. I could barely hobble and even with the cane was very unstable. But since it kept going in and out, I focused on back things because I suspect it was a pinched nerve in my back radiating there.

I'm on the treadmill today with no jogging and no extraordinary incline (just 1.5% as usual.) Yesterday there were only a few knee twinges so I'm hoping it is settling down.

I've got to focus on eating. I think I'll send my regrets to the cookie exchange because I can't risk the temptation. No one here really cares about Christmas baking except me. I make dh's favourites and he has 2 - 4 pieces (out of 3 dozen) and then I eat up the rest.

Combine that with me using soda to keep going through the days and/or evenings and I've got to be consuming at least 500 - 1000 extra calories a day. I'm up 10 pounds now since the beginning of October (the time I started to return to regular life.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:27 pm

K in C I hear you on the cookie exchange. This year I am NOT baking!
Sun.
Got my 4 mi. on the ex. bike done last evening and my arm work out.
This morning I've cleaned the nest boxes and done some yd. work and cleaning the coop moving small straw bales ladder etc. so glad for the nice temps and 8-) sunshine for that as I finished up the tweaks hanging the feeder etc.

Tues.
Did not get all my work out in yesterday did most of it three mi. on ex. bike; no arm work out but I did do some stuff outside with the chickens hanging feeders so I'm counting that. Today did my 4 mi. on ex. bike.

Wed. I did the arm work out on the Total Gym and did my ex. bike last night. [BS is up today hormones sigh]
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Harriet posted this in PWYC and i thought it was too good to not c/p here.

To gain is effortless, to lose, a knock-down drag-out battle royale Texas-death-match no-holes-barred smackdown.

Harriet - you have such a gift of putting feelings into words. This describes perfectly how I feel about weight loss/gain.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 am

Did a bit better eating yesterday although you have to put it in perspective. Two squares and one piece of cake is better than I had been doing. Sigh....

I'll ask dh if I put the remaining squares in the garbage. There's only 1/2 dozen left but that represents too many calories and too much temptation.

On the plus side there was no soda and no caloried drinks except for milk. And no chips (but there were crackers.)

The knee went out when I lifted my leg to put on panty hose so I stopped everything and did a round of back physio. Was still sore for about 20 minutes but after that was fine the whole day. (Thankfully, since the choir loft is up 5 steps and I had to go up and down repeatedly during the service.)

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 am

Let me know if you are logging your calories/exercise details at MyFitnessPal and interested in being in a group together for accountability.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 am

Harriet's words have inspired me.

I am on day 3 of tracking food and exercise. I can't say that I enjoy doing this, but I do enjoy the benefits. (3 lbs gone)

So the long road back to healthy weight once again begins. I expect a few bumps in the road but hopeful no detours or wrecks. :)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 am

Oh, I'm so glad. :) Congratulations on the 3 pounds, OKay.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 am

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't logged into myfitnesspal for about a month. I had become discouraged because no matter what or how little I ate I couldn't get past the number I'm stuck on. All who are posting here have given me some hope and inspiration to try again. My id on MFP is JayElle608.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 am

Another 1/2 lb gone. ~~~~~waving bye to the unwanted excess weight~~~~

Yesterday I ate hot cornbread fresh from the oven with butter. I also ate yummy spaghetti........ and STILL lost weight. Watching portion size is a pain to learn, but it does work!

Sunny - I added you as friend on MFP.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am

No treadmill for the past two days. First day was lots and lots of walking and I crossed over 9500 steps (thank you IKEA - where I only ran in to get one item! And took all the short cuts, skipping the display floor and cutting out over half of the marketplace.)

Yesterday it was only 4500 so that shows the difference regular stores are to IKEA. I shopped in the same number of stores and I had took the stairs from the 5th floor of the parking garage at the hospital (both directions) and it is a big hospital. Yet half the steps.

Today is treadmill. I've now got a lunch out with the minister and musician. Poor dh is left behind because this is girls' time.

Dinner last night was wonderful. Aside from pie, my only slip was two rolls but they were homemade and fluffy and buttery.

After today, there are three days in a row of 'nothing' so I have a chance to get a hold of my eating.

At the hair stylist's one of our favourites looked fantastic due to lost weight. Turns out she was diagnosed Celiac and so no gluton, little dairy and has cut out a lot of sugar. She has lost a minimum of 50 pounds.

I don't want to cut out all wheat but it is tempting to limit myself just to my cereal in the morning. I might give that a try in January.

Return to “Healthy Habits”