Health and Fitness December, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness December, 2012

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am

Harriet, that's like me absentmindedly eating a noodle to test for doneness on Yom Kippur when I'm fasting. Simply doesn't count.

Calendar event on Feb 2 is very fancy-schmancy black-tie fundraiser. My weight has fallen a bit since last summer, probably because I am walking ddogs regularly. Not very far, but every day. I also gave up MCD breakfasts after I got sick immediately after eating one - that's enough to turn me off breakfast there, at least.

I am into 170s depending on what time of day I weigh. Possibly could see 169 by Feb 2 if I start now? Although w holiday parties coming along that's hard to do also...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Now that the leaves are down and raked up off the lawn this is my plan ~ I did an arm work out last night on the total gym.

I did get a walk in yesterday [Wed.] as it was still warm enough for that here.

Glad to report my arms were not sore after that.

Today Thurs. I seem to be lacking mojo fighting sniffles;
I skipped a day a detected a bit of soreness, today did an arm workout and tried to remember to focus on stretching that helped.
:arrow: Next up ex. bike 4 mi.

I de-stressed watching my knitting show.

Fri. shopping shortened walk and 2 mi. on ex. bike hoping to get in an arm work out before the end of the day. My Arm workout done! With only one more of these to go before I increase the angle thus increasing intensity of my arm work outs is making me feel successful! Dinner tonight was like one of my breakfasts earlier this week granola bar and cooked pumpkin also an egg this one was deviled.

Sat. ex. bike 4 mi. plus arm workout on total gym 10-15 min.
Cooked up chicken soup and baked chicken cooked up pumpkin, made low sodium stuffing mix I did not know they even made that h. picked it out. Had a mini pie h. said it was great he can say he ate a whole pie! LOL! He is with in #8 of his goal wt. My clothes are looser now and we can tell I'm fitter. So glad I can see a diff. in my arms raking all those leaves paid off!

Sun. got in my other smaller jeans barely today. I've done my 4 mi. on the ex. bike.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:22 am

Just a thought about energy/sugar boost for me. Fruit juice doesn't give me the boost. Neither does sugar in baking. So far jelly beans are the only thing I've found in the 'food' group and soda in the liquid group (not milk, juice or real tea with its caffeine.)

So at coffee hour at church I could eat 400 calories of sugary treats, washed down with a cup of tea and still feel myself crashing. I could also have the tea with fruit, crackers and cheese (healthy alternatives to baking that are most often offered) and still crash.

So it isn't a need for protein or caffeine. I haven't tried eating sugar cubes yet but might. Unless it is one of the dyes in the jelly bean and soda that do it (which would also explain why clear sodas don't work, only colas.)

Or maybe it is all in my head. The funny thing is that I got turned onto the jelly beans after an insatiable craving for them back in September. I spent an hour driving from store to store to find some (they are hard to find here) and got immediate relief when I had some. So it was as if my body was say, "You need these."

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Kathryn, you've found something that works, so I say go with it and accept it!

Still plugging along here. Missed one vegetable today. Doing so much better with my supplements that I know that must be doing me good.

So grateful for a weekend when I don't have to set that alarm.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 am

Missed the treadmill two days in a row and struggling with it today. Of course, I'm short sleep (only 6.5 hours) and have a headache (which came on last night.)

I'm falling short on steps by a long shot each day unless I'm on the treadmill.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am

Missed the treadmill two days in a row, did it yesterday but didn't realize I wasn't pushing hard enough to keep my heart rate up so am struggling with it today having to push myself harder than I want.

Of course, I'm still short sleep and still have a headache (which comes and goes.)

Yesterday was a good day for steps. Hope today is as good or better. I'd like a 10K day although I'm only on the treadmill for 30 minutes today and jogged for a bit (which actually reduces the number of steps I take while working out since I don't have as many steps to go the same distance.)

Ate extraordinarily badly yesterday. Today will be just as bad, the first of two Christmas dinners (at lunch) in a row. Tomorrow is worse since I have a Christmas dinner at lunch and a roast beef dinner in the evening. My meal plan is taking a huge beating here. We've been off it since Friday.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am

Even though your eating may be too much in quantity, Kathryn, at least you're looking at good variety well-rounded meals. A roast beef dinner could be rather healthy...?

I have been remiss in posting here.

yesterday... ...

No sugared drinks
All my supplements
4 pints water
V/Fs: 1/2 apple, 5 grapes, 1/2 banana, whole baked potato, cooked spinich, tomato/potato side dish
exercise was Basic workout

I'm keeping up the healthy habits card and yesterday all that was omitted one pint of water, which I don't believe I'll miss since it's certainly not hot summertime. In winter, 4 pints is probably great.

I think cold weather sends me looking for comfort foods. I suppose cold/tense it is a form of discomfort, and in that way a form of stress. DVetNeighbor, who eats according to the Paleo diet, says she found herself absentmindedly eating a sandwich the other day that she would never have chosen on purpose. I think it happens to everyone.

I'm trying the old idea of a string around the finger to remember to think before eating/drinking. I'm using an elastic cloth-ish bracelet dd14 received from her old SS teacher that says "cherished child of God Deut. 7:6". It is just bothersome enough to remind me it's there and yet a pleasant enough reminder to keep me from getting irritated!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Mon. First part of my arm work out done added mini torso crunches with a couple others before I hit the floor today. Walked out to the back yd. to check on chickens, had an apt. walked across the parking lot for that. Shopped a bit at the store did an extra lap so this added some steps for me today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 am

I keep a calendar in our master bathroom for "my stuff". :idea: I've started jotting down my weight on days I weigh-in, on my calendar and on days I walk, I draw a purple outline of my heart for loving myself and my heart, and inside the heart I write a purple "W" for walking.

This evening I got hungry, but rather than turn to the Christmas sugar cookies I reached for a medium banana instead! GO ME! :D ;)

For Dec. my calendar shows I walked 5 times in one week, and this week's starting out well, too. :D

My b-day is in Jan., so on my b-day I'd love to be back down to 168 Lbs. like I was before Thanksgiving. It'd be a gift I'm giving myself. :idea: I was 171.3 Lbs. this a.m. so I'm 3.3 Lbs. over the pre-Turkey day weight.

For Christmas gifts, our dneighbors always give us snack foods to snack on for New Year's Eve. I hope it's not peanut brittle again this year, but maybe something a bit healthier. Peanut brittle's hard on dental work,too. :roll: I'm hoping for something like popcorn or cheeses and crackers; something less sweet and decadent.

When our Dfamily come for Christmas, we serves cookies, cookies w/chocolate on them, Aplets & Cotlets, and egg nog, pops, iced tea, etc.... I'm thinking it'd be better for me to eat a few Aplets & Cotlets and snack before they come, so I'm not over-doing it with social eating while they're here. The more I talk, the more I eat. :lol: It's like I forget to just TALK and not eat. :idea: I can also sit in my chair in the living room while everybody stands in the kitchen or are at the dining room pub table. I want my pre-holiday clothes to FIT come Jan. 2, 2013!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

On treadmill again. At least I have one healthy habit!

Missed/skipped nap yesterday so was in bed by 8:50 after a very quiet evening. I did go the whole day without a cola although there were a lot of sugary foods through the day and two cups of tea at lunch before I sang.

One thing about senior's luncheons is that they are more healthy than going to a pub. Less sodium and fat. And they included a soup and a salad in order to fill us up on better things before the main course.

Tonight's dinner will have pie so I have to figure out if I can avoid dessert at lunch (willpower, wherefore art thou?)

Getting and keeping heart rate up on the treadmill is a real challenge these days. I suppose that is a good sign. I'm also able to jog for 3 minutes solid now.

But as proof that what you eat far outstrips the benefits of moving - I switched to a larger size pant yesterday. No choice.

Return to “Healthy Habits”