Health and Fitness January, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2013

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

Starting WW (again) today. Wish me luck! Have tracked breakfast, and brought a healthy salad for lunch today as a jump start.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

Went to bed late (predictable after 3 hour rest in the afternoon) and we woke up at 8. Dh was on the bike by 8:15. I got on the treadmill at 9:04 and noted that dh hadn't actually started biking yet! So I've go plenty of time to get my time on the treadmill done before he wants it.

Another good day yesterday. Was still hungry in the evening so had half a grapefruit, a 1 pt piece of dark chocolate and a glass of milk. Not all at once! (Tried the grapefruit first, was still hungry so had milk and chocolate since I hate milk unless it is washing something down.)

Since I only had 2 oz of steak at dinner (and focused on chewing each bite thoroughly so I could enjoy the steak longer), I had enough points for the 4 point evening eating. For two days in a row now, I've eaten just my exercise and base points although I might have been 2 points over yesterday because as I type this, I realize I might have forgotten the popcorn snack before my nap.

In order to do this, I'm basically skipping lunch. Instead I have a selection of fruit, veggies, peanut butter or hummus, milk, and popcorn (with spray butter) spread over a 3 hour period. It adds up to the same number of points but since I'm grazing, it feels like more and since I graze even when I eat lunch, I think I'm cutting 100 - 200 calories out of my day. Not sure how long I can make this work. I find by 4:30 I'm starting to get cravings to eat something and am done with 0 point foods so don't want to cook dinner because that makes me too tempted to eat something. Today I might make up a soup and try that at 4:30 (last night I had 1 point of gluton-free crackers and lots of hot water to sip.)

I bought chicken and beef broths to try as 0 point snacks or light lunches (I'll add veggies and any leftover bits of meat to them to make an ounce of meat seem like more than two bites and give me a reason to limit my dinner serving to 3 oz since I'll have a use for the leftovers.)

Not sure what to do about tomorrow night. It is a church supper before presbytery. I love the fellowship at the dinners before hand (and the networking) but there is no way these are low-cal or carb friendly meals. I don't have to go to the dinner but I want to. If it was only once a month, that would be ok but dh will want to go out next week while we are doing hair cuts and he also likes to eat out at poor choice places so it makes it hard for me to honestly say, "It is only once a month."

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I yoyo-ed 5 lbs. For the last week I have really watched it and for 2 days in a row, the full 5 lbs. are off. So I need to keep those off and start on the real 5 lbs. I have a dr. appt March 14 and I would like for them to be off and am hoping for a lot better A1C than I have had in awhile. For me the whole secret is to keep busy. I have noticed that I have gotten better about not snacking in the afternoon. I need to really pay attention to the amount of insulin I take at lunch. If I am planning to be busy, I need to take less. Otherwise, I go low and then overcompensate to pull out of the low. Sometimes it feels like a crapshoot on taking the right amount of insulin.

I have been to the movies, twice in less than a week. Both times I did not get popcorn, because if I do, I eat every last kernel due to the cost and because it's good. Dh was shocked because when we go and share, he thinks I eat way more than my share. Because of that the last time him and I went, we bought 2 of a smaller size, so we didn't have to share. He could not believe that I sat thru 2 movies without popcorn.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

142 says the scale this morning.

I almost cheated yesterday. I was dying for a piece of bread... Like just open the bread bag and shove it my mouth kind. I really had to spend time talking my way out of it. In the past I would have just given in.

I also had to focus very hard on putting my fork down after every single bite. Got half way through my dinner before I remembered. Same thing with this mornings breakfast. I've added back 1/2 cup skim milk to my day. I love my morning coffee, especially now that I don't have to gulp it down. I think of it as a reward for staying on my eating plan.

I also like my scale. It shows my weight to a 10th of a pound. It keeps me motivated to see my weight drop even if it's a very little at a time. That way I'm assured my effort is being noted. Sliced apples have been my saving grace. They crunch and the movement of my hand from plate to mouth....
Especially when I am sitting on the couch..simulates what happens when I eat cookies or crackers.

Twins..I like my weight watcher meetings...I learn something new most every time I go.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Zumba last evening was fun and I felt very well afterward.

Also HRH fixed our audio problem in the front rooms, so that opens up more variety for DVDs etc that may be best done on smooth floors.

HRH and I had a rare grocery trip together through the healthy grocery, using the gift card we got from ds27. We both felt we could try some unusual choices because of the gift. For dd14, who had been having tummy-troubles, we bought Lifeway Bio Kefir for digestion in 3.5 ounce little bottles, like a liquid yogurt. She reported that she felt much better within hours after having some and wants us to try it again sometime. I have often enjoyed Kefir, although I've thought sometimes it was a little constipating. I could be wrong, though - never had very much of it. Oh, and Kathryn, I also bought some raw almonds.

Happy for you, Twins' Mom. Hope it all goes well.

Lynlee, I'm reading about diet investigation.

Thanks for those links, too, Cowinkie. What a nice number to reach today.

Lilac and Kathryn, hurray for successes.

OKay, you are doing so well - little snags will not derail you.

Nancy, that's great you are at 4 miles per day so consistently.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Harriet thanks for noticing! Yep did my 4 mi. again today [Mon.].
Tues. got on the scales did not gain over the holidays yea! #168
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I've done okay so far today. Don't have any pts left so will eat fruit if hungry later. I was still hungry after the salad, so added a tuna salad thingie that was in my desk from last tax season. Got to add how much mayo I wanted - just a little - and ate it with crackers.

Supper tonight is sushi - although I didn't expect 7 pts for it, thought it would be less. I still need to w-a-l-k the ddogs.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 am

Keeping on....

Today I lost a lb from the 2 lb gain of family gathering. I'm looking forward to the other lb disappearing in the next couple of days.

I need to add in some exercise. I've used the fitbit for a couple of weeks so I have my baseline established. I'm averaging 36% of my goal of 10,000 steps a day.

Last week while working at the clothes closet I was sorting clothes into winter/summer categories. It was easier to sit on the floor then to keep leaning down. The floor was cold so I sat on my feet. One woman gasp and loudly said something like "I can't believe you can sit like that! If I tried that, I wouldn't be able to stand". All the other women came and looked and they all commented how they would never be able to do it. All I was doing was sitting on my feet with my legs bent underneath me. I've received similar comments at other times. I'm not sure why it is considered hard/odd to do. Now I'm a little self conscious about it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 am

Had to eat before bed last night because I hadn't eaten all my base WW points. So had the last glass of 'wine' left from our turkey dinner (dealcoholized wine, 60 cal per 8 oz), some almonds and an apple.

Even so, I still had 4 activity points left at the end of the day. If cutting gluten is responsible for the cut in appetite, I'll keep at this!

On the other hand, was in bed 10 hours, sleeping 8 of them. There's no energy to pop out of bed in the morning. I thought since I had had naps the last 2 days perhaps that would increase morning energy but nope.

Weight is doing well but not sure how much is 'easy' loss like Lilac had (event overeating quickly reversed by eating well), how much was my period going (my period had just started when I weighed myself on the 30th) and how much will be a steady loss, week after week, due to the change in diet. On my regular WW diet, I struggle to lose more than 3 lbs a month so losing 3 in a week seems unsustainable over the long term.

Tonight will be a challenge. I nearly skipped the treadmill today and then realized I needed the exercise points to deal with the main course. I'll skip dessert unless there is a gluten free option (sometimes there is.)

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Nancy...how long does it take you to go 4 miles?

Twins and Katherine....The one thing I don't like about WW is I have too many choices. I can have carbs made of wheat, or pop corn, stuff like that, but those things throw me into a binge. Loosing a half a pound a week is not much motivation for me. I know what triggers my craving and binges and since I've eliminated them from my diet I am doing much better.

I'm also adding some weights to my schedule. Not much but I do about 15 minutes worth with 5lbs every other day. The fact is that strength training continues to burn calories up to 48 hrs after you have done them...Much more that cardio. However, weights, no matter what the size should only be done every other day. Weights tear the muscles down and it takes a day for the muscles to rebuild themselves. Some people like to split their workout by doing upper body weights one day and lower body the next. All those infomercials follow that rule as well.

I took Willis to the national park up the road and we walked 1.5 miles. I wasn't in a hurry as this was Willis' first experience out on a paved trail. He was so excited by all the new smells and sights that I spent my time properly introducing him to the area. I bought a yearly pass and plan to go back today. The park is 4 miles from my home.

142.2 scale read this morning.

I was so proud of myself yesterday. Last night I went to my friend's house to watch the game. I brought crackers and dip. My friend made her famous taco cheese dip. I ate APPLE SLICES. :D However I walked/ate in my sleep last night and ate 3 cookies...oreos with peanut butter. Sweetie forgot and left them on the counter and I found them. Hate it cause I didn't remember or get to enjoy my "cheat".

Oh well that's life...just not gonna let it side track me. Conscientiously I stayed on target and that's what counts.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”