Health and Fitness January, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2013

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 am

Short treadmill today due to rushed day.

We leave in 80 minutes for hair cuts, dh first, then me at 10:30. Then I'll pick up some Subway and eat it at Presbytery. Dh will drop me and run two errands then pick me up and we'll rush home so he can go to his first Irish drum lesson at 3.

After that, the day gets more manageable for me.

Since we are so busy, there's no time to park and do shopping so I won't get any walking in there, nor will there be time to have lunch at the chip wagon, which is a good thing!

Tonight's dinner is leftover chicken from last night. Hmmmm, that's poor planning since my lunch will also be chicken breast on salad. Tough, that's what I have to be eaten up and I can't think of a healthy, low point, lunch to grab and don't have time to make one for myself, so that's what will be.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am

Good morning, healthy people! :D

I'll be doing one of those proactive medical things - will choose between this a.m. and Fri a.m. to get bloodwork done. The disappointment is that one set of bloodwork never covers everything. The hormone dr does not request tests for Vit D because he wants all his patients prescribed a flat 2,000 IU (hormone dr - has no children as patients). The general practitioner wants to test for it. Also one tests for T-4 in addition to TSH, one doesn't. So I'll be having more sticking done later.

Got through the "8 minute exercises" in 11 or 12 minutes today. I do feel that my muscles have been worked, but it's not very strenuous. I think now I remember seeing a few minutes of Cruise on the Dr. Oz show a couple years back, showing a few of these. It does seem to be doable early in the morning so far, with only 2 of an eventual 9 tried (they get harder). T-Tapp is not doable in early mornings - I really have to wait until I'm very warmed up and limber at another part of the day for T-Tapp.

HRH found a very reasonable cantaloupe (trucked WAY in, I suppose) and it was delish for breakfast.

He has a bunch of post-it tabs placed in the book of recipes, so I did good! He keeps saying, "See, I could eat that." Now, if he will make out menus and grocery lists and follow through.

I continue to find early full breakfasts nearly impossible most days. I would have to go over to protein bars or just hard boiled eggs, because all I could do would be to grab something on the run. By the time I've been up, say, 55 minutes, and could eat after the hour, my day is at its busiest. Turning on the stove, especially, would be a problem until my ddad's needs are met for the morning. So I continue with fruit breakfasts and then brunches later, which I know is out of step with many health gurus.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 am

Keeping on.

Scales were down. .6 lbs this morning.

Yesterday I planned and recorded my whole day food before I ate it. I think that worked better than recording it as I eat it. Although there is also danger doing it that way. I ate one goldfish cracker and one animal cookie that wasn't planned, but i didn't record those because I was finished recording for the day. :roll:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm SO glad I did 4 mi. on the ex. bike after dinner my bs was #101 this morning.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 am

YEAH Nancy! You are doing great!

Staying on track. Keeping on.

Scales stayed the same today. I've lost 7.4 lbs Tomorrow will be one month so I've almost reached my month goal loss.

Eating portions is a constant battle, but I admit it is becoming easier the longer I do it. We are eating "normal" food. Yesterday i made .....
** an OH SO GOOD Chicken salad. It tasted perfection with chicken, HB eggs, mayo, mustard, bell pepper, onions, pickles, ranch dressing seasoning. In the "old" days I would have divided the salad with DH and we would have both eaten 2.5 portions. However, yesterday we both resisted and only ate 1 portion and put the rest up for another meal. I am soooo looking forward to that meal! :)
** a yummy mexican casserole with several layers of shredded cheese, tortillas, beans, meat, salsa. Eating one cup of it was not the portion i wanted to eat but I did limit myself. After about 30 minutes I felt full and fine with only one portion.

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 am

bump...bump...bump.

I'm not happy with my late night snacking last night.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am

Argghhh, my computer is running really slow again thanks to Microsoft who is downloading a HUGE update to IE6. I don't use IE but my computer does for updates to XP so I have to have it on the computer. And I didn't download the update on Tuesday while working out so today the system slows my machine down (30 -90 seconds to tab between programs) so that I'm forced to update or throw the machine out the window. Since the exercise room is on the second floor, I've decided to update.

I walked yesterday, not the best workout but better than nothing. So far, it looks as though I'll finish the week on program but I've already used 20/35 flex points and last week I only used 12/35. Still 7 emergency points for each of the next two days is more than enough as long as I don't go out to eat and stay away from any treats offered at the meeting tonight.

Weight is moving in the right direction but a bit more slowly this week. That's ok since it moved suspiciously fast the first week. I don't normally lose 3lbs in a week. My period is due next week but goodness knows what will happen with it or the weight due to it coming or not coming.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 am

Harriet: What about making a protein drink/freezie/shake/thingy for yourself in the morning? If you premeasure the ingredients they don't take long to make and it is portable so you can carry it with you from room to room and into the car.

On the other hand, I'm convinced that all the people that talk about a great breakfast first thing in the morning are the people who can tolerate an early breakfast and then there are people like me who needs to give her tummy time to wake up. We figured this out on our drives to Nova Scotia when I was a child. We get to the restaurant, I'd order a breakfast (cereal and milk), drink the juice that was put in front of me and feel sick to my tummy immediately. At home, my breakfast started with an orange so it wasn't the acidity of the juice - it was the early hour. About an hour later I'd feel fine and be starving but by then we were on the road. So my mom stopped expecting me to eat before heading on the road and I'd eat dry cereal from one of the Kelloggs mini boxes as we drove along and she'd give me water to drink.

Ds is the same and seldom eats breakfast but has lunch early, about 15 hours after his dinner. When he's up all night on overnight shift, he goes to bed after shift and doesn't eat until 5 or 6 even though he's up at 2 - 3. So he goes 15 hours between last and first meals whether he's up all day or up all night.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm

What Okay said!
Got my 4 mi. on ex. bike done today.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 am

i MADE IT!!

i met my monthly goal! one day late, but I'm still going to consider it met

I lost 8.1 lbs since Dec 17th.

Onward to the next goal ...... lose another 8 lbs by Feb 17th.

Return to “Healthy Habits”