Health and Fitness, February 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, February 2013

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:40 am

Harriet was it friend ship cake?

I did 5 mi. on my ex. bike today got a diff. one and did five more mi. but it was not as strenuous I did not even sweat; still trying to figure out this more compact quieter new to me one I got today.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

Laptop on the treadmill is sick. It crashed just minutes into the workout yesterday so I switched to the Nordic Trak. That's why I've been MIA. No computer with that! No place to put it and my arms are needed for balance. From a heart point of view it is a much better workout. Knees are responding too.

Weight is steady which I'll take because my eating hasn't been.

Total frustration with treadmill. My heart has got stronger but my body got weaker. So I can't get my heart into the range I need as long as I'm not walking with weights and even then it is a struggle. In the past, I increased incline and or speed but my knees can't take that change so I'm stuck with using weights to increase my heart rate. But with weights, I can't use the computer so may as well be on the ski machine which is much easier on the knees and much more challenging to the heart.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 pm

I session on ex. bike done today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I walked 30 - 40 min. while on the phone with Ddil/Dson and grsons this a.m. right before breakfast. I like multitasking like that.

It's also helpful, while making a business call, if I'm put on hold, to walk while I wait. Sometimes, I've gotten an apology, but I've said, "Oh, it's OK! I just get my walking in while I wait, so it's a good thing! I don't mind at all!" :lol: They seem so surprised to NOT get an irate customer! :o

I sometimes set my timer for 30 - 90 min. and then do housework, dishes, and laundry, putter, put out hot spots, put things in rooms they belong in and go-go-go! I get my housework done AND get in walking and movement at the same time! It's GREAT! :idea:

I wear AFO's (ankle-foot orthotics) on my feet/ankles, which come up the calves about 8" or so. They have a hinge, so I can walk and bike. However, I keep putting off riding my perfectly good Schwinn recumbent bike! :!: My podiatrist and PT told me to start slow. They said to ride it 5 min. a day for 7 days, 10 min. a day for 7 days, and so forth. My podiatrist told me to go at moderate speed and not really fast, too. He said to stretch prior to the bike use and after, too. I don't think that doing 5 min. at a time is such a bad place to start, so I will try to start doing that Monday. I'll keep you posted, to my progress. My dream :D is to be able to bike, read my Nook at the same time and go for 30 min. because I'll get Nook reading done AND biking, too! ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 pm

I've hit pause on weight loss efforts. Getting over this virus is my primary focus. The scales showed a 4.2 lb loss this morning. :o I expect it is mostly water weight loss which will show back up. :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I've done two sessions on ex. bike and some yard work today trying to get it up to 45 min. a day. Might have gotten it today yea!

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 am

Posting for accountability. Although I haven't returned to lose weight mode, I don't want to ignore it.

My stomach is still very sore from the virus and am not able to eat normally yet. Yesterday I ate just 609 calories but my weight was up .8 lb this morning. The water weight is returning. :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm trying to increase my ex. to 45 min. three sessions
15 min. each two of three done today so far.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am

Still in waiting mode. Waiting for this virus to be done with my stomach and bowels.

Scales are down 1.8 lb today. I'm not sad to see the weight disappear, but know this isn't a healthy way to lose it.

I'm looking forward to returning to normal.

Harriet - I got the fruit starter mixture recipe from DAunt. DH Grandmother used to make it all the time. She called it "60 day cake". When i looked online, I discovered many versions of the fruit starter. This one is the closest match to her recipe.. My fruit starter mixture is 42 days into the 60 day process.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, I'm convinced we are talking about the same cake, Nancy and OKay. It came to my mother from other schoolteachers, either her coworkers or her twin's, circa late 1960s. I remember getting a lesson from my aunt (her twin) about fermentation as she held up the mason (?) jar of peaches, and I think it was she who was calling it "Brandied" something - "Brandied Fruitcake" maybe? Not sure. But the name "Friendship Cake" also rings a bell. When my mother served it, all were amazed at it. I certainly was. Quite delish. Extremely moist and pretty. My aunt always put a round scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice. Many giggles between all (tee-totaling) ladies served, about whether they could count it an alcoholic dessert.

I had a chance to stop by the library and not only did they have Enter the Zone, they had Sears' more recent book, Toxic Fat.So I can honestly tell the dr I took his recommendation seriously. I'll read the text and at least skim the recipe sections. Very appreciative of the librarian there who stopped me from leaving too soon and explained that the newer book was also available in a different section, since it's not a diet plan but a study of reasons for the recent epidemic of excess weight. I'm so glad I didn't miss it - their online catalog did not even suggest this library had it.

Return to “Healthy Habits”