Health and Fitness, March 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, March 2013

Postby Ivy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:56 pm

I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch. I did 30 min. of activity in the form of dusting, cleaning, dumping trash and dust mopping the house. I'm very tired from climbing in and out of the garden tub. :roll: So I'm off to get a little rest in now. :idea: We had a rough night's sleep because of our wind storm. The tall timber is 100-150 feet tall and about 100-150 feet away from the house. This is like hearing ocean waves during a storm, lulls us to sleep, but some gusts are so strong they wake us up. :shock:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 am

I'd better report after the weekend of houseguests and rushing about. Had posted here last week that I needed to lose 1.5 pounds and I could call myself back in goal range. Sigh. Well as of this (Monday) morning, I realize I went backward over the weekend by 1.5 pounds. :roll: And am 3 pounds away now. I'll assume that's water weight from birthday doings and some general omission of healthy habits. I did NOT have any overt HFCS over the weekend. If any happened, it snuck its way in within some packaged food. Dd33 has given up all sodas, so she helped make it easy for me.

My own meal for the family was vegan fish fillets, steamed broccoli, wild rice with quinoa, and ginger scones, all reasonably good. HRH was very pleased to have a meal that fit his own recent dietary preferences so well that he could just sit down at table and enjoy. But by the next day lunch, dsil was driving through the Wendy's window, and all HRH got out of that was a baked potato. Very hard to feed 10-11 people consistently.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Got my miles done on the ex. bike this weekend over did it a bit on the eating how ever.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 am

Weight seems to have settled back at 168 now that my period is over. Didn't weigh myself this morning since I had pizza last night.

Knees are working better even with some exercise. I did the nordic trak two days in a row, followed by 10 minutes on the bike and while my thighs 'burned' they didn't hurt through the day. Stairs are still hit or miss, sometimes I can do them regularly (mainly if I run up them) but sometimes I have to take them one at a time.

Today I did the bike for 20 minutes but skipped the nt since I had a doctor's appointment.

Doctor gave me the note for the physiotherapist and is sending me for a knee x-ray as well.

As for thyroid, even at 5.07 she will not consider treating me. She sticks by the old guidelines and says the new protocol is to not test for thyroid at all. She did feel mine and says it isn't enlarged.

Because of the hepatitis, she won't consider my exhaustion caused by the thyroid. She knows I spend 9 - 10 hours in bed each night and have to nap when something else is wrong (i.e. this cold.)

That's about all my news.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I am having a good week have had ample exercise with the ex. bike plus yd. work here and next door too. So that's helping with the time change too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Glad the knees are better, Kathryn. Will she keep monitoring your thyroid, then?

Good job on exercise variety and double-duty (housework), Ivy and Nancy!

OKay, if dh likes fruit/protein smoothies for breakfast, here's the best variety berry smoothie recipe I've come up with to try for protein/carb/fat balance at the meal:

1/8 C wild blueberries
4 or 5 blackberries
4 or 5 cherries
peach slices to equal one small peach
(if you don't have peach, 1/4 banana)
1/2 scoop Jay Robb protein powder (13 grams protein)
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup cracked ice, more or less (more if fruit is not frozen)

This finishes at 14 grams protein and 18 grams carbs, with about 3 grams fat, very close to what Dr. Sears says is an ideal for keeping appetite satisfied for several hours after. It's become second nature to me to make it fast, so I think the trial and error on my recipe was worth it for me. Dr. Sears says don't go to all this trouble, but now I have it done once and for all for this one meal.

I just keep the Robb chocolate (Robb's my fav because it's all natural) on hand all the time, plenty of berries ready in the freezer (fresh when I can get 'em) and coconut milk in the fridge. If I'm using a lot of fresh fruits, I add more ice. I probably have this or a close variation 3 times a week lately. Perfect to take supplements. I have these on low calorie days, usually, when I want a good space of time before lunch. (I'm still alternating low and high calories, casually - not strict about it.)

Yesterday I had a low-calorie day, enjoying Subway tuna on flatbread so I never felt like it was low. ( I love that meal! Pile on the veggies! )

Exercise for 2 days has been T-Tapp Total 45 minutes (I skipped runner's stretch or it would be 50). So now that I have 2 days under my belt, of course I start thinking why not go on to 4, which is recommended for a boot camp to "jump start" some inch loss. I don't know - maybe I will. The dream of wearing ready-made plain waistbands lives on, lol. Hard to find that much time. (I am on my 3rd try finishing this post! Better hit submit!)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks, Harriet! :D

I walked 1/2 hour, ate healthy, and took my vitamins and supplements. I feel good this evening. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I walked, carried, lifted, pulled, pushed, and all those things having to do with laundry, dishes, and decluttering, in 30 min. The laundry and dishes was done before I set the timer for 30 min., too, so that's sort of bonus activity.

I've eaten healthy, we'll have a scallops stir fry for dinner, I'll eat fruit, a salad and veggie. I've had my vitamins, feel good, feel like I have more energy, too.

I'm trying to build up my "compromised immune system", as my ophthalmologist's nurse said I have. It's working. I feel that my eye infection's healed or is nearly healed. There is no more green puss at the corners of my eyes, when I pre-wipe them with Kleenex prior to administering the antibiotic ointment. I'm a very happy camper. I will be very surprised if he says I still have an infection, when I see him the end of April. Also, I've got 2 weeks down, 5 weeks to go, before I see him again. The drawback has been my being unable to touch grandchildren, babies or kids or have company over. :( But the good thing is how I've learned how to disinfect things, use proper cleansing of my hands before I do this and that. I feel healthier and happier. It will nearly be heaven to be around others again. So for now, it's just DH and my cat and me at home.

The saving grace has been the Villagers. It's been so helpful for me to be able to be in contact with others. ♥ DH just said so this morning, how the Village has been good for me, during this time of trial. Thank you, Everyone, so much! You are AMAZING! :D

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

I am on track with my miles on the ex. bike for the month.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 am

Friday and Saturday I continued Total workout, (and did do half the difficult stretch) for nearly 50 minutes. That was 4 straight days, so I took yesterday off and am now on every-other-day.

I have one more pound to lose to be within my range. (Just range, not ideal of course, but I'll be glad.)

Either on the 31st or 1st I'll take monthly measurements.

Today I want to be sure to get in a large salad and also not forget my serving of beans.

Return to “Healthy Habits”