Health and Fitness, March 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, March 2013

Postby Ivy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm

I walked 30 min. and did 2 loads of laundry, and finally folded and put away the load of towels, laying dry in the dryer for 1 1/2 days. At least it got done.

Everybody's doing so well on their fitness.

I did stretches after walking, too.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

Ex. bike plus lots of yd. work yesterday digging up sod then spading and prepping ground for seed or sod had me with plenty of exercise yesterday. Most of the day no granny duty until after school so I could focus on that and not have to worry about kids. I skipped a town run to do it as well.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Only did light housework for exercise today; needed a day off. I have eaten very healthy all day long. My weight was down .1 Lb., too. I had been 179.9 Lbs. at the start of Lent and now am 175.4 Lbs. I do seem to yo-yo, depending on what I've eaten or how salty seafood, etc.. is though. So I don't go nuts if I'm up a Lbs. or 2. It's normal to go up and down, so why put yourself through the misery? :?: I had anorexia when I was 30-32 and learned a lot about myself. Then, went the other way: UP! So been there, done that, and my head's on my shoulders now where I think: HEALTH! It's terrible to have an eating disorder and it's a hell. I think one thing that helped me come out of it, plus the fact that group therapy helped, was the sad young death of Karen Carpenter, at the same time of my struggles. :( What happened to her sure scared some sense into me.

Tomorrow, I'll try to do my 1/2-hour walking and some pre-Easter housework. :idea:

I need to slowly start doing what my podiatrist and PT suggested! 5 min. on the recumbent stationary bike 1 week, daily, then add 5 min., daily, each week until I'm up to 30 min. I need to "listen to my ankles", but podiatrist said because of ankle problems and my AFO's. I think I'll make this a goal for after Easter, starting on April 1, to do my 5 minutes a day for a week. :idea: It's a beautiful Schwinn stationary recumbent bike, I got in 2006 and have barely used. It's in my bunny room, where my CD's are, too, so I can listen to music, too. It would be so wonderful to get back into the habit of doing that. I used to go 30 min., too. But it killed my ankles, so got advice from the dr. and PT.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 am

good for you d ivy!

eating disorders are really horrible. No one really knows how deadly they are. dd just lost another friend to ed (from her group) (a boy this time).
also no one realizes that you can have anorexia and then go the other way as well. (it's an eating disorder) trust me I understand! I also don't think people understand the cost of therapy that insurance will not cover.

I am glad you are finding positive approaches and understanding yourself. Great
Last edited by blessedw2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 am

my vegetable and fish rich diet seems to be helping plus exercise lost 1.5 lbs

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 am

Today not doing so hot scales; are not moving, doing 10 mi. a day on ex. bike is not recommended from me for wt. loss ... Sigh will need a new plan going forward. Starvation may be in my future. :roll: got the other 10 mi. done to catch up to my goal as I'd missed a day. It was great for stress relief and I truely needed that!
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Blessed, I had been in group therapy, which was out-of-pocket, with an eating disorders psychologist. She went to college to get her degree at age 40! :!: When I'd show up for "group", for several sessions, it was just my dr. and I. She said I didn't need to pay the full one-to-one therapy rate just because the group members didn't show up. She was so lovely to charge me only $20 per one-hour "group-less" session for several weeks. She was so wonderful.

One thing she taught me was how, when she was stressed, she said she'd get on her exercise bike and would set the timer for 30 min. and she said that was her "worry time". So things she was worried about, angry about, and stressed over, got voiced during those 30 min. and when her 30-min. session with herself was over, she didn't look back to ruminate. It was wonderful advice. She's since passed away, but I'll never forget her kindness. And graciousness either.

Blessed, it's sad that people are lost from eating disorders and so many people don't believe it can happen to boys. Sorry for your DD's loss.

DH fixed a veggie and shrimp stir-fry for dinner, I've eaten healthy all day, and feel better this evening, since I rested awhile. I've had 4 fruits and the veggies were in the stir-fry. DH bought some gourmet chocolate muffins, but I've not eaten 1 yet. He's had 2 in 2 days, so he's having the 1-a-day chocolate gourmet muffin.

I didn't walk because of a fever. I've lost 6.3 Lbs. since Lent started. I'm so happy I'm off my plateau. :D

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 am

so true d ivy.
What nice memories of such a caring and helpful woman.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 am

Oh, no you don't, Nancy! :lol: No starving for you. I still wonder if you aren't getting slimming benefits from that mileage!

Good job on those 1.5, blessed. It's nice to see your bright shining face here.

I went to try on Sunday-type dresses in store dressing rooms yesterday, and my entire fitness life flashed before my eyes! :lol: I have purchased only casual dresses, usually through catalogs, in the last year or more. Very grateful to dd14, who hung around outside and brought me a larger size than I had thought. :oops: Also grateful that I was down the 3 pounds I was up after houseguests. But goodness, it's depressing to see how some things fit when you have a tummy! One very cheap material served to act like spandex, tucking UNDER the tummy to hug the legs! What are manufacturers thinking? Happily, they had other dresses in flowing fabrics with modest tops! ;)

The experience did make me glad I'm back to more serious T-Tapp workouts. Tummy, tummy, go away. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:19 am

Nancy, I think with all your activity, biking and gardening and the house, you're building muscle, which weighs more than fat. :idea: Hang in there, we get on plateaus and sometimes they last a L-O-N-G time! I weigh the same (I checked my dr. records they gave me at the time) I did in July 2012! So that's a long time to weigh about the same. Yes, I DID yo-yo up and down, too. :roll: But plateaus and building muscle can be reasons for not dropping Lbs. :idea: Don't get discouraged or give up on yourself. :)

Blessed, The weight loss is great! :!:

Now, Harriet, I'm reading your post now. I order dresses through catalogs and skirts, to. It's nice dd14 comes to help you out. I cannot understand the cheap material, like spandex, tucking UNDER the tummy to hug the legs. It sounds just way TOO WEIRD! :roll: :!: :lol: It sounds more like something for a pregnant woman who wants to show off her "baby bump", to me! :idea: Wonder if that's what they were thinking? :?: I don't need to "accentuate" my belly anymore than it does just fine on its OWN! :oops: Know what I mean? :?: I have a bikini scar and I'm thinking, "Bikini? Who are you KIDDING?" :oops: :roll: :lol:

I bought 2 bras from a company and I've had problems with the shoulder straps since my Nov. 2010 rotator cuff surgery. I've tried T-Back bras, athletic bras, under-wires, wireless, etc... But finally, I have to admit, this is comfy. It gaps a bit, under the armpit though. But nobody sees that, because I'm not shirtless in front of anybody else other than DH and myself. I have some bras, which run small, in my size, when I "shrink", but when I get to goal, I'll need to be fitted. I think I'll get 2 athletic bras at Costco, 2 good everyday bras at a bra dept. and a leisure bra from a catalog. I worked 18 months in lingerie and love it. I hate to say this, but...... I counted my bras back in 2005 and between the dresser, the hope chest, and a small bin in the walk-in closet, I had about 47 in various sizes! :!: :shock: :oops: :lol: I'm way down now and probably have 4 athletic bras, 4 bras that fit funny, but they're new, and the ones which run smaller, but will be very good for me, and 2 other bras. It's so nice to open my hope chest to see journals instead of tons of bras staring back up at me. I have wonderful bras in size 42-D and 42-C, washed them and donated them. So I know I've blessed some very happy full figure women. :D Oh, my! :!: I got sidetracked talking about bras! :oops: Sorry! (I just love them!) I'm glad I'm a girl and not a guy. ;)

Return to “Healthy Habits”