Health and Fitness, April 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2013

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Very happy for you, Cowinkie! Happy for your friend, too, especially that she feels better. White flour is a rascal to me, too. It is sneaky and dastardly. How are you enjoying the Brazil B Lift DVD ? I paused for a while watching the info-mercial for that recently but I think I'm probably still best served by comprehensive, variety DVDs. I realize it would really make one look nice in jeans, however. My trouble with my tummy would override a concentration on derriere for now. Getting into pants that even HAVE a zipper would come first, and then I would chase my rear end around :arrow: in the mirror to :o scrutinize it!

Today I did the 30 minute Torso workout. It's one that gets me to sweat a lot. Moves rather fast compared to some of the deliberate, slow isometrics, but in some ways is easier, I suppose.

Thinking of several who haven't been able to post with us in a while.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

Off to the gym...I'm feeling so good at the moment....don't kow if its from not eating carbs or gulten or both, but I can certainly tell a differents.

Weight...down .6 lbs today I like that :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am

A ??????? Twins, Kathryn and anyone else with a FitBit, did you buy it online or are they also sold in stores?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

I have a ped - o - meter but it's on the shelf does no good there!

I did my 10 mi. on the ex. bike yesterday time to get that done again today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

I earned 3 activity points yesterday, I ate them, then got the "munches" in the evening. So I counted those points in the 35 weekly bonus points (or however you say it :?: ), and was happy this a.m. how I've had a -2 Lbs. loss. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Nancy....I'm so laughing at myself....I've been reading your post and thinking that your 10 mi were 10 miles not minutes. You really had me amazed at how much work you were getting done after such a long workout. Plus I couldn't figure out how you were fitting that exercise time into your schedule. :D

I came home from the gym hungry. I diced up some red and yellow peppers and sauted them with a bit of butter. I was going to add some bacon and eggs, but remembered I was out of bacon. As I was looking for my eggs in the fridge, I came across some cooked broccoli. I thought to myself..Why not???...I need to be eating more veggies. So I cut it up and tossed it in with the peppers. Then I added an egg and about a Tbsp of grated sharp cheese. In the end I had more veggies than egg, but the cooked egg held everything together. Yummmmmm I can't begin to describe how deliciousthis omlett was.

I'm trying to think outside my box these days....Tonight I'm going to make BBQ shrimp and wilted kale. Never had or made kale before so I'm look forward to this.

The journey continues....

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah Ivy.....

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

I'm monitoring this thread, but not giving much effort toward weight loss right now. I'll start again soon but wanted to give myself some downtime after DDad's death.

Lilac - I bought fitbit One at amazon. There is a chart comparing the 3 models of the fitbit devices at that website and/or at the fitbit.com

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 am

Lilac, I bought my Fitbit at the online store at the Fitbit website.

Continuing to just monitor what I'm currently doing. Yesterday had 8000 steps - short walk with ddogs in a.m., walk through IKEA in Atlanta and through local Costco. Got home too late and too tired to walk ddogs again.

Dental appointment for cleaning on Monday and will get dental sleep apnea device then. In monitoring sleep with Fitbit, the least number of times awake during the night has been 27. If sleep apnea dental device works, that should drop.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 am

Lilac: I bought my fitbit through Amazon. (I have the fitbit One.)

I managed almost 12K steps Tuesday (walk for the mail, treadmill in the morning, plus a very active day moving things around the house to prep and take down from the meeting.) Then Wednesday 8800 (that's the day I went to the store with my friend) and finally 7100 yesterday. Didn't exercise at all in the morning and was at my computer a lot of the day so went for a 2 mile walk with dh after dinner. Did physio before bed. If I hadn't done the walk, I would have been sedentary for the day I really don't like the idea of that!

Weight is stuck but I'm eating all kinds of junk. Didn't have a proper lunch yesterday, just finished a bag of baked lays, Dr. Pepper and some popcorn. At 4 I had an apple with peanut butter (organic) and a glass of milk. My period is a day late although at this age that means nothing. But I have uncontrollable junk food cravings and today I have a headache so I'm figuring it is coming.

My morbidly obese senior friend had bought me a bag of candy Wednesday (one pound of it) and it is almost gone. Talk about a trigger. Maybe I'll only let her buy me diabetic candy from now on in. I don't like it so it will be easier to resist (and I can give it away to the food bank for them to hand out as treats.)

She wants to buy me things and I understand that urge so I hate to refuse all the time. But I see the things she wants to buy me as wasteful especially since she is poor and in debt. I think I need to find things she can get me that will be good but I normally wouldn't buy (like asparagus or other non-local fruits or vegetables.)

I'll go grocery shopping with her and she'll buy one vegetable, maybe one fruit, 4 servings of meat, some cans of soup and the rest will be junk food, mostly candy. I don't say a word to her.

Ironically, her blood pressure is usually normal, her heart rate ok, her blood work is fine (no diabetes.) For people who are active, eat good foods as well as bad or for those who are thin and struggle with high blood pressure, it must be annoying to see that she doesn't suffer those effects from her weight.

Of course, her joints are giving way so we get the handicap spaces. Stairs are hard due to her knees. And she has psoriasis terribly to the point that some days she won't go out. Light treatments didn't work so now they are trying a drug and her blood pressure is up higher than she's ever seen it. On the other hand, the skin is scaling off and we can hope the skin that regrows is normal.

Return to “Healthy Habits”