Health and Fitness, April 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2013

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am

Twins The stair recorder altimeter on the Fitbit is affected by atmospheric pressure so if your area is stormy or if it is particularly windy, you'll have phantom stair climbing show up.

Yesterday, I did 22 flights according to the system. I actually did about 10. I have at least 1 extra already today.

On the other hand, it seems to only record full flights so when I walk up the 9 stairs from the kitchen to the bedroom, I get no credit. I have to do the 12 from the living room up to the bedroom. The church is also split level (and sloped) so if I go up the front stairs from the basement to the pulpit, I get no flights but if I go from the basement to the back of the sanctuary, I get a flight.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

K in C....I'm learning to toss things in the garbage that trigger me. When I was working, many friends would give me chocolate...so would my "kids" for occasion like Valintines Day and Halloween...It made me fell guilty, but I would toss them in my garbage can as soon as the day was over. If anyone asked me where their candy was, I would tell them I took it home.

Yesterday I recieved some free Atkin candy bars in the mail. The grams are considered good grams and I can eat them right now if I wanted to. I ate half of a bar last night and it was good....then I thought to myself...this is like every other food trick you've encountered...If I think its okay to eat one, then I'll end up eating the others in quick sucession. Sometimes I have no will power...so I tossed them as well. I haven't cheated for the past 9 days....a record I might add. Last night I baked a special bread for Sweetie...Man did it call to me. However I only sampled a pinch...maybe 1/3 of a teaspoon, and thought to myself..this won't get you out of your body, don't eat it and I didn't.

I'm not good at allowing myself to just taste something that I shouldn't eat. Like I said before, if a recovered alcoholic can stay away from drinking, then I need to learn to do the same with carbs.

Yesterday while running my errands I was thinking how good I felt about myself. Kind of like a ahhhhhh moment for me. Last fall I just gave up taking care of me with a "who care's" attitude. I mean I'll be 63 in a few weeks and I've been battling this battle for all of my life. What occured to me yesterday is I care about Me. And if I don't care about Me, who will?

Okay...so I may never look like I did when I was 40, the wrinkles and the sagging jaws won't go away. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and deal with hit. If something tried to kill me twice and I survived, then I can certainly do this. I've always said that the real diet starts between your ears, not with what you put in your mouth...So at least for the moment, I am winning and i am proud of Me.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Speaking of 40 I was obese when I was forty and look better now yea! Thanks for that reminder. I've done 10 mi. on the ex. bike this morning getting my news fix while I did that.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm

I used to be obese, too, at 280, and now I'm overweight at 175 Lbs. When I lose 10% of my weight, I'll be 158 Lbs., which will be a lot closer to goal. I ordered a size 14/16 caftan, which I'm wearing now and 9 years ago, I had the same style/pattern caftan, but it was 1X/2X! It's nice to see how in 9 years (which might be too long or too slow to some) I've gone down 6 or so sizes. :D

I decluttered and did housework for 70 min. straight, worked up a sweat because lifting and hauling were done and earned 6 activity points. DH brought home mini-chocolate chip muffins, so I'm "tempted" to have 1 or may wait until Sat. or Sun. afternoon instead. My last day of the week, on my first W.W. week, is Sunday. I've lost 2.4 Lbs. now. I feel good, too. Better, I mean. I'm having less pain and feel stronger. It's been a good experience to get back on track. I'd been only walking 3 days a week, had been sitting too much, taking naps, too often, and I knew I needed to turn my life around. I don't know what happened to me, but I guess 6 1/2 weeks of staying home, away from people, kids, and babies because of this form of pink eye, is bound to make anybody go into a slump, staying home so much. On nice days, I got into the yarn though. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Boy I sure am impressed with Nancy's and Ivy's success. :D

Arrgh.....I woke up to find cookies in my bed this morning. Two uneaten Oreo mint one's to be exact...don't have a clue as to how many I managed to eat. Darn, and I didn't even get to enjoy them. No rhyme nor reason why I do this. In the past I would have used this episode as an excuse to fall off the wagon. Not to day. I'm just not going to get on the scale to see what damaged has been done. Gonna let the incident drop and keep on going the right way.

I am feeling soooooooo much better since I've changed my eating patterns. Hope the sugar in those cookies doesn't set me back. I'm not worried about weight gain, I just don't want to loose the way I've been feeling these past couple of days. Can't decide is the energy level is so high because of no carbs, no gluten or both. I must have been poisoning myself for all these years. When my friend who had lost the 60 lbs told me a while back that she would never, ever eat sugar again I have to admit I thought she was nuts. I didn't understand the connection, but now I do. The way I'm feeling is so interesting to me. I'm not running out of steam by 1 in the afternoon and I have no cravings for anything at all. When I finish one project I keep thinking...what can I do now? Retirement has never felt this good :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I did my 10 mi. on ex. bike last evening. Cowinkie Speaking of changing patterns :arrow: :idea: Went to the cave basement that seemed to help me stay out of the food after dinner.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 am

I have to have total abstinence of food that I have a problem with too Cowinkle. Seems I have no off or moderate button. Added sugar / sweeteners just get my taste buds aroused so I avoid the various sugar sources, and totally am against artificial sweeteners. Studies have linked them to fatigue, as well a work mate told me her diabetic mum had a certain artificial sweetener - People knew I had a sugar problem. The years in denial were crazy years. It was so hard to give it up again for keeps - esp when many "experts" say sugar is not a problem. I have to be soo picky on this.
I don't think it is a common problem though.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Hurray for the attitude, Cowinkie. Sorry 'bout the cookies but in the grand scheme of things, unimportant. Also congratulations on the scale victories.

Hurray for keeping weight off long-term, Nancy and Ivy.

I knew in advance Saturday's long day of walking/hiking would be HUGE exercise, so I took Thurs and Fri off. Took Sunday off afterwards and plan just Basic today (20 mins).

It is a study how abysmal my eating can become while so many people (10) are in the house. I end up eating what others are eating, or what I've purchased for them that they don't want, that sort of thing. Today I'm having blessed relief in the form of a low-calorie day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Today at seven a.m. I was on the ex. bike getting it done before the wee ones arrived ten miles done what a great way to begin the day!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 am

I blew it today. :roll: :!: :oops: I'll start over tomorrow. :idea: If I blow it tomorrow, at least I'm going to MAKE myself walk! :!: I'm sorta disgusted with myself tonight. We only eat hamburgers (take-out) about once a year or twice a year- HONESTLY! :!: But the sauce disagreed with me, :shock: I felt awful afterwards, so I eat the last mini-chocolate chips muffin. :oops: :roll: :? DH bought them for me, it was the last one of 4, so I guess I was consoling myself for not feeling 100% after the burger? :?: :roll: :oops: I just don't know. But today was a total flop. :cry:

I'll try better tomorrow. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”