Health and Fitness, April 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2013

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 am

I can't seem to get over 10,000 steps but part of the issue is that I keep forgetting to have Fitbit on when I head out to walk ddogs. Trying to get my eating back to a more normal diet - the last weeks of tax season I was eating constantly just to try to "feel better."

Gorgeous day here today - might try a walk downtown w/o ddogs to get in extra steps.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Ivy, choosing to eat a bread-y item when stomach is feeling ill is a natural reaction, because we instinctively know bread helps absorb acids. Don't beat yourself up over a mini-muffin! It's all good.

Not aimed at Ivy, but she made me remember I wanted to mention this brief, thoughtful piece last month from Tracy at "Fit is a Feminist Issue". All about how we judge food and then judge ourselves. (trigger foods and allergy are mentioned as exceptions down the page)

Twins' Mom, find out how many steps are in your usual walk with the dogs so if you neglect the fitbit next time you can add it up at the end of the day. You're in charge of the technology, not the other way 'round! As a matter of fact, I think there ought to be a way to amend the day's tallies - it's not a car odometer, for goodness sake! As far as I know, not illegal! :lol:

Yesterday I had a low-calorie, low-sodium day and even though I did feel a little hunger after supper I'm glad I stuck with it. I could tell yesterday morning that my fingers were swollen, my whole body just felt uncomfortable!

Hopped up this morning feeling so much better. Had a peanut-butter, full-fat mayonnaise and banana sandwich breakfast, 400 calories. As good as the finest meal.

Need to correct that I did not do Basic workout yesterday after all, and just decided to have a day off from exercise, too. My neck is telling me "Time for T-Tapp" :lol: since it's now been since Wednesday that I properly stretched, even though I was so active over the weekend - still not what I need. So I'll be glad to do those head rocks today.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am

I cleaned the chicken run & yesterday and mowed last night so I"m counting that for my exercise!

I got some magnetic beads and wrapped them around my ankle; saw how that worked for horses so figured I'd give it a try my foot was great so I took the beads off, went to town shopped at a mart store foot is sore again so should have left them on so that are back around my ankle hidden under my pants.

Okay off to check for eggs and clean the inside of the chicken coop. Later I've cleaned out the chicken coop and got the fruit trees fertilized as well! Don't you love those dual purpose tasks? :idea: Also getting exercise while doing it!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 am

Okay, Twins and Kathryn, thank you for your input on the Fitbit. Dd1 told me she had seen them at Staples.

Today I had a dr appt that I had been dreading. I knew by my bs readings that my A1C was going to be higher than it should be and it was. I go back in 3 months and I really want it back where it needs to be. I was the first patient seen and he spent 45 minutes with me. When I went to make a new appt, the earliest she had 3 months from today was at 10:30. I took it rather than have her look for another day with an earlier time available. I will take a book and be patient. He is so good to take the time he needs with each patient that I don't get upset when I have to wait, like I have seen some patients do.

I had what I thought was a mole on my left side and my bra covers it. Another style of my bras rubs it. It was brown circle but most of it was white and it was really scaley and dry. He looked at it and had a name for it. He said it was benign and to use hydrocortisone creme on it and that should take care of it. But if it doesn't get better or gets worse, to let them know. Believe me, I will.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am

Got up to 9300 steps yesterday, the closest I've been to 10,000. A not so good day, meal wise but then I'm still in getting-back-to-whatever-is-normal mode.

I got the apnea mouthguard yesterday; Fitbit indicates I didn't sleep any better than before, if it is accurate as to the number of times awake etc. So we'll see. I have a follow up appt with sleep doc (actually a nurse practitioner in that office) next month and I think they have me to a home monitoring device to see if the mouth guard works.

Twins' Mom, find out how many steps are in your usual walk with the dogs so if you neglect the fitbit next time you can add it up at the end of the day

Yes, Harriet, that would require me actually thinking ahead and coming up with some averages for our walks and requires less ADD than I have going right now. Yesterday I emailed the temple secretary with a series of questions about different stuff, ending with "What am I doing here?" That's how I'm feeling these days - just all over the place.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

Hum... maybe I could put the ped o meter on my pant leg and see what the ex. bike does! :idea:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 pm

:D Well, Twins' Mom... what WERE you doing there? Did she know? You sound normal enough to me, and of course the correct answer is, "Everybody's got to be somewhere." So, having not vanished, we are all on the right track. Excellent.

Next best distance solution : guesstimate and never think about it again.

Lilac, what a good deal to hear the word, "benign" as soon as you ask the dr. HRH has had good A1C and blood glucose numbers at the dr since going vegetarian! ;) I'm just sayin'......

Nancy, isn't that wild that the anklet helped you that much. Who knows!

Yesterday I completed T-Tapp Total for 50 minutes of exercise. Neck felt so much better. Today the stiffness is back a little. I think this cold/warm back-and-forth spring has me "sleeping tense".

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 pm

The other foot had a broken blood vessel so I put the beads on that foot today. :idea: Got a walk in with dgson I met him after school and walked home with him just for a change after I did my 10 mi. on the ex. bike. I did a bit of walking while I shopped this morning too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm

I bought myself another wedge foam pillow. This one is shaped like a HUGE wedge of cheese. It is 7" at the top and tapers to nothing at the bottom. I had one a few years ago, but it wasn't comfortable to use. The taper at the bottom wasn't as much so there was a "bump" where the pillow started to go up. For some reason I always felt like I was going to roll off it, and finally I gave it away.

This one is more comfortable with a very soft cover and it's more a foam like the memory foam type. I am sleeping better, using one pillow under my neck/head at the very top, and my acid reflux isn't waking me up at night nearly as much.

I am about 1 month away from my dr. appointment and who knows what kinds of tests she's going to do..she wouldn't tell me, except it will be fasting... I really need to watch my diet better. I've been doing some red yeast rice and fish oil in case my cholesterol is high. I figure it can't hurt.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 pm

My doc. does A1C, chol., and blood pressure, on nearly every one he said. Even though my #'s are good for the last 2 and meds. are preventive.
They also test for thyroid.

I've done ex. 10 mi. on ex. bike not as fast as some days but it's done now.

Return to “Healthy Habits”