Health and Fitness, May 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, May 2013

Postby Harriet » Sat May 25, 2013 11:14 pm

55 minutes Total workout today.

That's great on the biking, Nancy.

Sorry about the M and Ms sideswiping your efforts, Ivy.

I believe OKay posted that she had a loss at her first WW meeting.

Anybody else have any bragging to do? You won't find many places with folks as excited for you as we'll be! ;)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I had exercised last evening but still wasn't prepared to awaken to a pretty good number on the scale, in spite of 2,100 calories yesterday (too much), most of them made of salt :oops: . But the previous day was low calorie nutritious and sometimes that's how it goes. I'll be good-ish today. :) I have a veggie tray that should be part of the day. Tomorrow's low calorie again.

I was checking back in our search feature to look for info on HRH's loss in 2010 with Nutri system D (d meaning to reduce blood sugar, A1C) and found a few gems of knowledge in the Sept thread:

Indiana recommended the Self site for nutrition data. etc.
Harmony coined, "I drew a line on the scale." rather than " a line in the sand", lol.
OKay said the "What I Ate" threads here were "like a carrot" to her, getting her to pay attention to her eating.

Btw, the Nu-Sys-D time for him was supposed to be for blood sugar control as much as weight loss, and it really wasn't so great for blood sugar. It averaged (for the study participants) 3 months to reach .9 decrease in A1C, never really going any further after that, and those participants had higher numbers to start with than HRH. So he couldn't have expected as much as .9 change anyway. So other dietary changes have been better.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Only had M & M's ONCE today, a much smaller portion, and feel okay about that. I rearranged and put out-of-season clothes away in my walk-in closet, for exercise today.

I napped this a.m. for 1 1/2 hours and for 30 - 40 min. this afternoon. I hate it when a doctor says, "Rest." :roll: :!: I feel like I should be getting my walking in, for exercise, like I usually do. I don't want to gain or to lose muscle. Perhaps I can walk in 10-min. increments throughout the day without a problem. Since I didn't come down with bronchitis over the weekend, and my Peak Flow Meter reading's a bit higher, I'm slowly getting better. I'll see what my Peak Flow Meter reading is in the morning, to get an idea if I should be walking. :idea: You'd think that a little walking would be good because you'd be getting more oxygen to the lungs, rather than lying around. :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am

I have been out to do a round of yd. work last night and this morning I have more to do but it's great for arm work out moving sod. Cool days and a nice change.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I set my timer for 30 minutes, did stretches, but could only go 5 minutes the first time. I rested again, got up and puttered around walking from one end of the house to the other, and my walking/activity was 20 minutes today. :D I know that might sound like a tiny amount, but I've not been walking fo4 5 days. Just laundry and hot spots, activity.

I got a 2-hour nap in today, slept hard, and am very PROUD to say how I was tempted to eat M 'n' M's, but they're milk chocolate, I'd just taken my antibiotic (for my eyes) and I can't have dairy near the antibiotic for 2 hours. By the time 2 hours passed, I was napping. Now I don't want/need them, so I've had a healthy eating day, too. I'm so glad.

Have a good night, Everyone. It's nice to see how we're all doing, to be able to share, and I just wanted to say thank you.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Today was that dr. appointment I was trying to make some changes for. My, that's bad english isn't it?! Anyway, I didn't come near to my goal, having gone the other way a couple times then yo-yoing up and down as per usual.

BUT I did finally make some progress and on her scale (scary with my clothes on) I was back down 4 pounds from the highest and was happy to have gotten there at least.

Mentioned to the dr. that I was wishing somehow I could lose some weight. I mentioned the time I worked out like crazy for months at the gym and never lost an ounce. She acknowledged that happens, because all that exercising only nets a couple hundred in calories lost, often.

Then she said, it's really all about the food in. Yep. Had to agree.

Oy, you should see this dr.; young cute as a button, petite. AK!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Nancy, I would like to get my arms stronger. Good job on the yardwork.

Glad Ivy is feeling better and starting to be more active.

Harmony, hey, you had a few successes today - yay for that 4 pounds to show her! So she did blood work I suppose today, and you'll find those results out later? Part of the workout disappointment on the scale is that it doesn't burn as many calories as people hope, sure. But part is that it is building muscle and causing the muscles to retain water for their recovery cycle, too. Both those things send the scale up, even if the person is actually cinching in sometimes. Still - a great truth : "the food in". That's the biggie, although many times I've wished it wasn't so.

Yesterday my "food in" was light, 700 calories with about 80 % fruit and veggies. And this morning I was just 1/2 pound over lowest recent weight. So I felt light all a.m. I had the feeling I could bend over at the waist with more ease, which was an odd thing to notice, but it stuck with me.

Today a pear for breakfast. Then for lunch I had a home-made bacon egg and cheese filling of a Bojangles biscuit, and later a jelly biscuit! :o :D There were incidents of veggie sticks, so I wasn't totally decadent! :lol: (This is planned, of course - low calorie/high calorie. The biscuit was what I had on my mind, so I had it. No worries.)

Tomorrow - I already have my sweet potato baked for tomorrow, and my half-apple cut and baggied, both in the fridge. I'll probably add a tossed salad with some chicken breast and that will be it.

This should work out fine for an every other day plan this week, so that Saturday I can relax and eat with family. Dd33's family arrives Fri night.

30 minutes of T-Tapp today.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 am

Has any one been to spin class and know what they do?
Been out doing chicken chores and watering.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Good job planning ahead, Harriet.

Drs. office took 4 vials of blood. I got a tetanus shot (when was your last one, ah-never?) and my arm is sore still today. I go back after the heart tests and will get results of everything then.

Last evening DH and I pumped up the bike tires and we tried a little ride. Did you know you can pedal a bike mostly with one leg and not use the other a lot? My knee forced me to do that. DH's hip hurt so we only made it along 1 block before he couldn't do any more. I couldn't take the bike out of the 1st gear (easiest to pedal). Man, we are both a mess right now.

Never been to a spin class but I always thought they just pedaled like crazy. I saw some of them on TV standing but those people were really fit! I guess you go your own speed, do the best you can.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I try to do it with resistance for the first mile or two then relax that later on. They have music and do diff. tempo I suppose. Burn 750 cal. a hr. need more than that to loose wt. but I've been doing laundry that includes some up and down stairs trips.

I found this.
http://blog.codyapp.com/spin-class-101-what-to-expect/

Return to “Healthy Habits”