Health and Fitness, May 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, May 2013

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Welcome!

In this thread we chat about keeping ourselves strong and capable as we pursue our calling as homemakers. Our family members may need to lean on us, and we may need to lean on them. Proactive medical answers, sensible consumption of healthy food and water, getting enough rest, and getting enough activity, too - these are all part of our plans! Helping each member of our households work in all their healthy habits is priceless!

Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, May 2013

Postby Ivy » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

:D Happy May! :D

I walked 40 minutes while out and about with DH, 2 different times today, in 2 different places. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Today got my ex. when I walked 40 min. pushing the baby stroller in the sunshine. 8-) It was great got the vit. D. at the same time. Slipped up on my carb. intake on Mon. sigh hormones I think.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi, Ivy and Nancy. Both of you had such good company on your walks!

Last month this time I posted:

My April goal is as always. To be at an exercise goal of 2.5 hours per week, and at the same time to be either at weight goal (chuckle) or to be in a downward trend toward it. Also to be keeping up healthy habits.

All the weeks qualified at 2.5. I have been in a slow downward trend with weight and am within my range - I won't say goal, but goal range and that's fine. As far as keeping up healthy habits, I've noticed I slipped up with water, but I was close.

Today I did the same workout I did Monday. This is one that's called "at tempo", so it's really aerobic.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 am

I am mindful of upcoming drs. visit. Yesterday I tried to start diet again, or at least watch carefully. Did not do well. Went into that panic mode I usually do when I attempt this. That's never good as I end up eating more than if I'm not attempting this. So, it's very hard to start any kind of different routine...but I really need to do this for me.

Editing to add, Harriet, about my pillow wedge, it is about 24" from the tallest edge to the shortest edge. It's only 7" high, but with my pillow on top, at the top, it's a bunch more. Very comfy on my upper back and neck. My old one was much higher and I think that might be why I always felt as if I was going to roll off!
Last edited by Harmony on Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Harmony, it is tough for sure.

(I'm editing here, to say I was trying to mention 2 methods of avoiding deprived feelings. I don't think I was very clear.)

I've learned I have to be at least partially aware of calories or I will take a chance on starting to gain weight. If I want to lose, I've got to be aware. I was somewhat impressed with Dr. Sears' Zone concept of counting protein/carb/fat percentages instead in "blocks", and just having portions that matched sizes. For instance a palm-sized piece of meat is probably 3 blocks protein and you'd learn how much carbs should go with that, and know to add a little fat. His point is that each smaller meal or snack, then, will be balanced and satisfying, to avoid hunger. I found I started to limit myself to just a few meals that I knew were balanced and feel guilty eating anything I hadn't worked out yet. :lol: But I'm sure it is healthy and I might go back to it sometime.

There are other ways beyond a person just saying "1,300 calories a day" or whatever. I really do like alternate-day dieting, in which that same person might say 800 calories one day and 1,800 the next. You're able to splurge sometimes to avoid feeling deprived, and to keep the body from believing it needs to conserve because there's a famine! That was Dr. Johnson's idea. Now Dr Michael Mosley's tv program and new book have the theory that you only have to do the low-cal day twice a week, and then "just eat normally" other days. In my experience that would be very slow weight loss if people had no restriction at all on higher-calorie days, but everybody's different.

Ds28 called after finishing some physical testing by state examiners, including push-ups. He suggests them for dd14 when her wrist heals and is thinking about whether she needs push up stands to protect her wrists (so you hold a bar in a grip instead of palm flat). He is so impressed with push-ups for getting firefighters into condition efficiently and he has started using them every time he's in charge of his shift's calisthenics. He says not only do the arms and chest strengthen, but the core tightens because of the stability you have to have to do proper form. He has worked to get his form as perfect as possible and was complimented on it during the testing. I asked how many he can do - he has no idea. That confused me, but he says they are not allowed to test past 60 seconds, and they test for speed. I suggested he might lose form at top speed, but he says he hit 56 in 60 seconds without having a form point deducted. He and I are obviously not in the same exercise universe.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Today in a failed attempt to find a yd. sale did get a walk in pushing the baby in the stroller again. Yea for ex. done!

Updated to add spaded up the last spot of sod to take out of the back yard Fri. afternoon.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm

I put the Fitbit back on today after doing about 2/3 of the straightening up this morning. I'm up to 6800 steps. Wish I had remembered to put it on when I got up but it's all good.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I was pleasantly surprised this morning that I had not regained any weight because Wednesday and Thursday I was not feeling well and not active at all. I really watched what I ate today and then dd1 and I walked tonight. I have company coming for graduation in 2 weeks. I really need to hit it, so I am hoping that will help me lose more weight. I need to lose 5 -6 lbs and keep it off. Dh and dds remind that if I lose anymore than that, it will just make me look older, because I would be too thin. :roll:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 pm

I walked 30 minutes today, but I broke it up into two 15-minute increments, due to time and having other things to do.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”