Health and Fitness, June 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2013

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 pm

I sleep very well, usually. Last night, I slept from 11:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m., straight! It was so nice because I'd had had several strange dreams waking me every hour, one night.

I used my timer for 15-min. and did 15-minutes of "Putter-Walking". I putter and walk at the same time, then rest. The doctor said to start slow. I did 30 minutes total. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 am

I slept well so that is good.
Today my calves are sore from multiple trips up and down the stairs yesterday hauling out empty boxes.
:idea: Did 5 mi. on the ex. bike last evening while I watched Doc. Martin on P.B.S.
Did my 10 mi. on the ex. bike today plus walked one mile pushing a baby in the stroller today.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Our baby powder has aloe & vitamin E in it. It's still powder, it's still a trigger to me and this is why, when mothers powder their baby's bottom, they hold one hand up, as a sort of dam so to keep the filaments of the powder from going into the baby's mouth and/or nostrils and inhaling them into the lungs. It doesn't matter what's in powder. Powder's still powder, but it's a trigger for me. When used properly, it's safe. I had been using to much, which is my own fault. But now, with the non-chaffing gel-powder, I am doing so much better, don't have that trigger, my lungs are clear and there's no wheezing. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:54 pm

I used housework, laundry, making the bed with fresh sheets, puttering around, redecorating, etc... as my exercise today. It's all I could do for today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Ivy, I use some cornstarch. With our humidity here it's hard to get totally dry after a shower. But I don't pat pat, which puts powder in the air, I wipe it on. Maybe that would work for you?

I've been going over my medical bills / receipts from the insurance company. Have discovered the Dr. checked my Vit. D, also uric acid. I was surprised, so I looked that up and discovered elevated uric acid can come from several things, hypothyroidism is one. I didn't know that. She didn't check my B vitamin, so I'll ask about that since I was low the last time and she told me to take some of that. I go back in Monday for results.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Hope your results give you some bright info, Harmony. How is your skin, btw? The knee?

In a weak moment, I bought an abs workout DVD that dd found somewhat interesting. Very cheap. It's by someone who is one of those no pain no gain, no excuses mean instructors. We "read" (watched while doing what we could, but mostly for learning ) it together this evening. I went all the way through by only doing a few reps of each move. She actually pulled a muscle (minor), though, and quit it for the night, irritated. It's not a total loss, of course, and we will do it again. But disappointing when I know exactly what the instructor is doing wrong, with poor warm up, poor cool down, form that is not taught well, jerky movements, "all or nothing" mentality.

Anyway, that's 30 minutes of exercise this evening.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:09 am

Harmony, I use a good product by Monostat, which is an anti-chaffing-relief powder gel. Just a pea-size on the finger does a groin. It works wonderful, lasts for 24 hours, from shower to shower. I've found my solution, it's not expensive, and it's very good. I like it a lot. It's a wonderful product. :D

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:14 pm

After discovering that my blood sugar was elevated, I spent time trying to understand what that meant. I came across Jorge Cruise's new book [url]The 100[/url]. I found it to be a great read and full of interesting information.

Usually I spend time looking at the author's diet plan, but found I read this book cover to cover. First let me say that i am a history major. I'm not very interested in war's and such, but do love to learn how technology changed the world over time. I found it very interesting that during the Middle Ages, 1200 - 1400, three inventions greatly influenced the European World: The horse collar, the plow and the 3-field or fallow system. Each contributed to better farm yields, which in turn produced more food. That meant the villagers ate better, lived longer and produced healthier children. Over time the populations expanded.

Now what does that have to do with sugar you ask??? Cruise spends time explaining how the introduction to flour and sugar, which weren't around during those Midddle Age times, began to dramatically change the health and weight of the civilizied population. Sugar produced jellies and jams. Flour when combined with sugar brought about cakes, pies and other sweet goods. Because of flour and sugar's long shelf life they became staples in the growing population's life...and with it obesity.

To me it was a very educational read...so much so that i have quit eating sugar. It was like a light bulb clicked. Sweetie eats very little sugar...hasn't for more than 20 years when he changed his entire eating life style. He hasn't always been Jack Sprat... Many times he has talked to me about eliminating sugar from my diet, especially artificial sugars... for many of the reasons mentioned it this book.....just call me a slow learner.

Anyway...in Cruise's book is this great muffin recipe. Its so easy to make and tastes really good and is very healthy for you. I make one every other day because I'm following his program, but my son is now eating one every day. He is involved with the Tough Mudder event program which is very similar to the one KIC's son is doing. Twelve miles of running with major, major obstacles thrown in along the way...think Navy Seal stuff. Point being, he has become very conscience of what he fuels his body with.

Here is the recipe: It's called the Skinny Muffin

1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
i packet of Stevia/Truvia
1 egg
1 tsp coconut oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a coffee mug. Add egg and coconut oil. Stir well. Microwave for 50 seconds.

The muffin comes out of the mug easily and is about the size of your closed fist.

I take all the dry ingredients and place one serving into a snack sized zip locked bag. I fill enough bags for 5-8 servings. Then when I want a muffin, all I do is put the contents of the bag in the mug, add the egg and oil, zap it for 50 seconds and bingo, I have a great muffin. Would be great for someone who doesn't have time to sit down and eat breakfast.....makes a good grab and go treat, but I really like to take the time to eat it.

Below is a link to Jorge Cruise's program. If you're curious to learn more, you can go to JorgeCruise.com and learn about his program. He offers it free to anyone which I really thought was great. And for those of you who don't know who Jorge is....and I was one of them...Dr. Oz's likes his program as well.

My blood sugar test covers a 3 month period, not just the fasting 24 hours. I couldn't understand why...I eat healthy most of the time. I usually have a chick and veggie salad for lunch. I usually by the pre-cooked chicken that all the grocery stores carry. My high blood sugar just didn't make sense to me. Guess what??? While I was in the store the other day, I looked at the ingrediences in several processed chicken bag. Ya know what I discovered??? One brand includes sugar and the other is made with corn surup. See me roll my eyes....geesh. Now if I don't cook it, I don't eat it. You'd be amazed at how much sugar your eating every day without realizing.

http://100sugarcalories.com/freereport? ... b4d3ca83dd
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Today I am counting the following for my exercise. I paced my self and was able to move some bricks about half a wagon load at a time. Did that this morning while it was cooler. I took frequent rest breaks bs was up so needed to work some of that off.

Then after doing errands and such today I was able to finish pulling a small patch of weeds in the back yard doing it in two segments of time.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I was very ashamed of myself this morning when I stepped on the scales. :oops: :( I weighed 180.5 Lbs. and in 1991 I weighed 280 Lbs., but on Thanksgiving morning of 2012, last year, I was 168.8 Lbs. Yes, I was very happy last Thanksgiving, I've gained 11.7 Lbs. :o I know it's not 20 Lbs., so I should be happy with that.

I got to thinking about how bloated I've been feeling, my ankles are swollen, and I've been eating salty things, pre-packaged things with sodium and preservatives in them, and sweets and desserts. :oops: :roll:

Then, I got to thinking about my asthma steroid I inhale. I went to http://www.webms.com AND http://www.medlineplus.com to research side effects. :shock: I should eat low-sodium, low-salt, increase potassium and increase protein. I'm feeling with my cravings of late and with eating all the wrong things, with this medication, I've caused myself to gain and bloat up. I've decided to be proactive, watch my diet now, when the grandsons come, stay away from bowls of potato chips, but if I see that I crave them, just have 1 - 2. I also believe it's important for me to increase my fluids if I'm having water retention. :idea:

There were other scary side effects, but I've been on this medication going onto 6 weeks, nothing "scary" has happened yet, so I refuse to be paranoid. I'd rather be positive & proactive. I will try better now that I have these facts steering me in the correct direction. Sometimes it pays to do your research. :idea: :D

Return to “Healthy Habits”