Health and Fitness, June 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2013

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Healthy breakfast and lunch today for a change! Oatmeal with a sprinkle of walnuts and a peach sliced up in it, and for lunch a wrap with chicken, a little humus, sprinkle of goat cheese, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts (from jars) and a couple of slivered basil leaves. Yum.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 am

Harriet, 2 medications I'm on tell me that I cannot be in the sunshine, need to be very careful of sun stroke, use SPF, wear a big hat, long sleeves, and wrap-around eye-glasses, and not be out very long. Also, my other doctor told me to "up" my Vitamin D-3 to prevent depression, too. :idea: Also, the allergies are what's caused the asthma problem, so right now, I'm staying put indoors, for now. But on rainy days and T-storms days, it's NOT hard to STAY indoors! :lol: :roll:

I stretched good and walked 15 min., stretched good and did a load of laundry, so have been active a lot back and forth to the laptop writing, too. I rested with my body pillow on the bed, but I kept thinking about a short story, so just got up, edited, proofed, and got it printed and ready to go out the door tomorrow. It prevented me from taking a nice nap, so out-it-goes! 8-)

I've been having back pain, so ordered a memory foam lumbar pillow, which arrives on July 5. I'm so happy! :D Ddil, Dson, the 6 grsons, & 1 dgd will be here July 4, when I measure dgd for her halter and hoody. Since the lumbar pillow arrives the 5th, I'll be sitting to crochet, using the pillow to crochet for dgd. :P It couldn't be coming at a more perfect time.

I ate healthy all day! :!: My peak flow readings are coming up. It was 360 this morning and 370 tonight and the doctor wants me at 400. I continue to take 2-a-day readings, then in 1 month, dr. wants me to phone in the day's average over the 1 month period. I feel much better, only used the rescue inhaler once on last Sat. and not since! :P This QVAR is wonderful for me. I'm so pleased. I'll slowly add more activity, I'm sorting, etc... But tomorrow, I plan on doing 2 stretching-walking-stretching sessions. I'm slowly building up. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Mowed the neighbors front yd. , our front and back yard and I did 10 mi. on the ex. bike! So all counting that for my exercise today!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:56 pm

i slept through the night w/o meds.... hope I can make that happen tonight as well.

No sugar yesterday...no that's not completely true I did steal a bite from Sweetie's pizza, but it was a very, very small one. This morning I "rode" my Gazelle two miles while watching Perry Mason. I've been mentally beating myself up for not wanting to exercise, but now that I've discovered there is a medical reason for my fatigue I'm not being so hard on myself. My dr's appointment is not on till July 9th...so I will stay away from sugar and do what I can on my Gazelle and let the cards fall where they may.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 pm

2 - Minute Chocolate Cake with Almond Flour

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Truvia baking blend
1/2 cup almond flour
3 tbsp unsweetened coca powder
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 egg
2 tbsp half and half

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until the mixture is even and smooth (no lumps)
Pour 1/4 of the mixture into a mug and microwave for 2 minutes
Refrigerate remaining batter for later!

You can make your own whipped cream by using Truvia and top the cake with that..... No sugar

Yummmmmm..........sounds good to me :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 am

I walked 1/2 hour today, today, all at one time, had no asthma, wasn't winded or light-headed at all. The QVAR medication is a miracle for taking away asthma symptoms. I'm so happy with it. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Almond flour - will have to check that out at the healthy foods store. Buying half-and-half for such a small use will probably bug me. (I'm so cheap! :lol: I will probably try whole milk since the boys drink that.) Otherwise, should be easy to try!

I ate exclusively from Cruise's "Quick Meals" book yesterday for a total of 6 grams of sugar.

30 minutes workout yesterday.

Ivy, yes, then I see that you are doing the right thing to stay away from much sunshine - I was wondering about the possibility of outdoor allergens. Oh, well. Good job building up the walking.

Nancy, even mowing the neighbor's yard? You are leaving me in the dust! :D

HRH has lost 9 pounds in 3 months, according to dr. today. He's interested in the new book, VB6: Eat Vegan Until 6:00 by Mark Bittman the famous chef. Bittman's dr told him he should become a vegan but he lives/works in a world of all types of cooking. So he found a way to try part-time and still improve his health.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

I just got off my Gazelle. Did my two miles. Didn't take meds to sleep last night and didn't sleep very well. Debating on whether I will try to go without again tonight. Too many "off" nights are really bad for me, so will make the decision based on how I feel when I go to bed tonight.

Ate well yesterday and got in all my water. Harriet...I by the 1/2 and 1/2 to use in my morning coffee. It is a treat to myself since I don't do smoothies or ice cream. I usually alternate days that I use it. I like my coffee black so I can drink it either way.

Chopped all my veggies up yesterday so I am set for the next few days.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Walked one mi. pushing baby in stroller and going up & down stairs my ex. today.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Eat on my plan and rode my Gazelle 2.5 miles. Going to eat a chicken salad for dinner...too hot for much more ;-)

Return to “Healthy Habits”