Health and Fitness, October, 2008

Share healthy living habits.
lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, October, 2008

Postby lucylee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:28 am

We do not want to discuss my weight, either, Harriet. I'm afraid Nov. 1 will be an all-time high for me if something doesn't change drastically. It is like I just have NO WILLPOWER whatsoever. I tell myself, NO MORE FRIED FOODS. Then I order popcorn shrimp. :?: I tell myself NO SNACKS AFTER SUPPER. Then I sit down at the movie and eat a whole box of Sour Patch Sour Watermelon candy. :?: I must be insane.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 am

I put these out there for contemplation.

"Soaking in shoulder-deep water for 30 minutes can double urine output, relieving fluid retention to nix bloat, report experts at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. Hydrostatic pressure (water pushing on skin) forces trapped fluids into circulation so they can be excreted by the kidneys."

Studies were done on people in pools, so, question... ... would it have to be a pool or would a household bathtub offer the same pressure? Oh, "Because the hydrostatic force is proportional to the depth of water, the diuretic effects of immersion occur to a greater extent when standing in several feet of water compared with swimming in it or lying in a bathtub." Oh well, I don't happen to have a pool. Still, it's one potential help.

And from the University of Reading in the United Kingdom, "Snacking on a handful of sunflower seeds at least once a day naturally decreases the growth of odor-causing bacteria on skin (body odor)."

I say we buy all our menfolk bags of shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds. Put them in pickup trucks nationwide.

Studies at Cornell University and University of Wisconsin Medical School show that tea drinkers who exchanged meal-time tea for between-meal tea kept the iron in their foods from being blocked by tannins. "This strategy is so effective, Cornell studies show it can double energy levels within two weeks."
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am

I'm here with a question.

In the last few days my urine has developed a pungent smell. A quick search of the internet came up with nothing but a urinary tract infection (which seems unlikely because I feel so well), asparagus (not in my diet, only when I'm traveling), or possibly too much B6 (possible since I've been eating bananas lately and taking StressTabs at night which are B vitamins.)

I don't see any dramatic change in my diet. I'm having at least 4 glasses of water (most days 6 - 8), plus three of decaf tea, and 2 skim milk. Of course, in the 'old days' I had all that plus 24+ ounces of diet soft drinks but that ended months ago. The two days leading up to the smell I had lots of grapes, a banana a day, but various other food (turkey and ham, pizza, roast beef.)

Anyone have any ideas? I wondered if I'm cold. I wondered if I have too much clothing on and it is restricting the flow of urine from my kidneys. But nothing online mentioned either of those things.

Fibromyalgia (sp?) was another suggestion. I'm not going there...

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, first thing, always remember a UTI test is just $9.95 (AZO brand here at that price everywhere) at a drug store for peace of mind. But no, you wouldn't think that would be it. None of the other signs, such as any pain?

This happened to me more than once after I had tried a coffee-flavored SlimFast which was recommended as having the best taste of convenience canned meal drinks. I noticed the smell but forgot about it - yes, I would say "pungent" but also sweet-ish. Later, I tried the same product again from a different store, at a different time and the same distinct smell happened, so it became easy to prove to myself something in that drink affects my urine smell, so never again. Possibly there are flavorings or other food additives in that product that are in various products?

What else is in the asparagus family, maybe?
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Return to “Healthy Habits”