Health and Fitness, August 2013

Share healthy living habits.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2013

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Still exercise eluded me. Obviously this is mental. I am having a half-thought run through my mind when I consider exercising that is very negative. Something about guilt that there is so much to do otherwise that I "should" spend my time otherwise
I so resemble this, Harriet. I so need to exercise and can barely bring myself to start. Noticed Friday that there's a card swipe for Silver Sneakers at the rehab where dh is going. I know I need to ask them if that's for anyone -like me who is a member. Just wondering what it would be for me to take part on some of the equipment.

Right now my focus is so much on dh. A dfriend stopped by today and for once someone was honest and told dh he looks like s... He is tired and certainly not sleeping or coughing any better. Nurse is coming here in about 15 minutes so will ask her (I think) what she thinks about dh seeing his beloved gp. At least for the cough and he's been having issues with not being able to use the bathroom for quite a few minutes often -15-20 minutes (voiding). That brings up another whole ball of wax, doesn't it. :roll:
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 am

Not sure I ever mentioned that dh and I found a good (to us at least) substitute for salt. Just happened to pick up a shaker of lemon pepper a week or so ago. We've used it on cucumbers, corn, sprinkled on combo dishes like goulash. We LOVE it. Who knew? Any step we can make to reducing sodium for either of us is good.

It gives us that 'salt zing' without the sodium. I've even used it in place of grated parmesan (which I'm sure is loaded with salt). And we don't notice that it has a lemon taste at all.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 am

I had a sub last night that had ham and pizza sauce on it and 6 onion rings. Those are the only unusual sodium foods I had yesterday. Weight is up 2 lbs. Talk about cause and effect.

I'm in my TOM (started on Monday) so I was hoping the increase to 170 last week was due to that. Now I'm up to 172 although I'm assuming that will come off quickly. I will have to take a lunch with me to the office today because eating out isn't an option. There's a microwave at the church so I can choose a number of healthy options from my pantry/fridge/freezer.

Got cramps really badly this TOM. If you recall, I had my period while in the hospital the last time and had wicked cramps then which I couldn't tell if they were period, constipation, pancreatitis, or my insides out of whack because of surgery. The answer is period - these are exactly the same. The only thing I can thankful for regarding my delayed menopause is that these cramps are new, and I didn't get them for the first 38 years of my period.

Did bike, on treadmill.

My tummy is getting smaller or at least it looks a bit smaller. And I get to enjoy my new belly button. I remembered to thank the surgeon for giving me an 'inny' and he was amused but pleased something good came out the surgery!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am

Echoing Harriet's thoughts.....
Something about guilt that there is so much to do otherwise that I "should" spend my time otherwise
. Kathryn's comment about major issue/back burner also resonated strongly with me although I don't find it right now. I am hoping that when I drop one area of responsibility - i.e. the temple - that I can take care of myself better and get a workout plan in place.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I sort of had an ex. block the first part of the week and ran in to some snags like road const. on my walking route. But got on the ex. bike yesterday and walked with a friend at dusk, & today I did a med. long walk today so I'm back on track now. Don't give up is my motto.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:31 pm

I walked 25 minutes, did shoulder PT exercises, stretched, and danced for 15 minutes. :D

It was fun to be groovin' to music from the '70's making me movin'! :lol:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Sounds like fun, Ivy. Always easier when you can introduce some amusement.

Nancy, you are an inspiration. I think you are very close to having been a daily exerciser over years. Certainly a consistent exerciser over years.

Kathryn, so glad to hear you think your tummy is reducing. Getting back to regular exercise may help with cramps generally. What a pain, though (literally).

Dee, your focus on Mr. DeeClutter is so natural. A good thing, and just one of those times when the priorities shift. Did you ever find out about the Silver Sneakers thing?

Twins' Mom, this is my thought :
The school year begins in a few weeks and schedules do a sort of readjustment all around. Yours won't be as day-to-day definite as mine since mine includes a child in the home, but things will still change for you. I'm thinking maybe that can be a time I'll have a "jumpstart" back to thinking of my own health.

Generally want to thank everyone here. A place to talk out concerns is so valuable. Plus, a place to have others on the journey with you, who have genuine interest.

I've been surprised how the last month has affected me. Not depression, but certainly distraction.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 pm

I finally got homesick for exercise. I went to the Amazon book page to just do the T-Tapp video that's there for arms, seated at my desk. Interestingly, after I finished I noticed a review there that led me to a discussion of posture benefits, and that really seemed to hit the "homesick" button.

Decided I could certainly do just the primary back stretch in addition. So went to the DVD at the bedroom tv. After that, fully expecting to stop, I asked myself why not continue since it was right there in front of me. And did the 15-min Basic workout, omitting oil wells for the very trivial reason that they would have messed up my hair so much. But with Amazon Arms, I'm counting this as 15 minutes of T-Tapp. Short, but inspiring me to continue this much, in some form, daily again until I work back up to longer workouts.

I think what really did it were two things: 1) feeling the definite newness (and knowing it shouldn't feel new) of carefully "hitting" those specific muscles, especially back and arms; and 2) feeling the pride at knowing how to "hit" them, realizing/remembering I can be good at this. I felt my lats again even with the Amazon video, and knew again that I just never feel those in daily life without exercise. I was really missing it.

So, I'm better.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks Harriet! I've been focusing on yd. work in the mornings, and that is helping it too look better around here and next door as well. I walked more like a stroll last evening with a friend. So getting back on track helps to have a plan when road crews are outside on my walking route the letter they put in the door said that 8/22 was the target finish date so it won't be too much longer hopefully any way.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 am

Can't believe I've been away from the treadmill for so long!

This is my first workout in the 'new' exercise room. From the treadmill, the only difference is dh's dresser is gone and that corner has the floor mat permanently out (it used to hang off the wall when not in use) and my ab-roller thingy on the floor in here instead of the bedroom. (Not that I'm using it because of the hernia operation.)

Lost the 2 lbs from sodium within a day or two. Will gain it back today since I'm going to try the chip wagon for lunch. Just a few chips but I'll have a hot dog. I read where someone had good results taking a antacid before a high fat meal so I'll try that before I eat to see if I can escape with no consequences. Dinner tonight is already planned to be very low fat.

Return to “Healthy Habits”