Health and Fitness September, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2013

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Harriet, No, it doesn't seem fair to have sweets in the house when one's trying to get healthier, lose weight, etc.... :x

I wasn't happy with my weight this a.m., but I walked 30 minutes! Yeah! :D

I took a small calendar booklet you get free from charities. Now I log my weight on each date, then go back to record what type of exercise I did, to see how my exercising corresponds with my weight loss, too. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Harmony - time and time again I have had to go back to - what worked before, then my main thing is to listen to my body's grumbles. Keep a good idea of what you eat and when you try something different remember that it can take 3 days for a reaction to appear, and some reactions come with the loading of possibly many things within a category.
An example - I can eat a manderin without apparent side affects, but I can't eat a manderin daily and keep getting away with it. The result for me was neck muscle tension that pulled my neck out of wack and left me battling headaches.
Its a conviction of the fedup.com.au crew that low blood sugar is a symptom of intolerance of something. Last time I was aware of that I looked at what I was doing diet wise. I had included natural MSG - hygeronated vegetable protein - containing spread more often than normal and excluding that rebalanced bg levels.

If you are excluding a lot of regular food try looking elsewhere for food sources.
Buckwheat, quinoa, chia seeds are my saving thing. filling, and I don't need to eat again soon after. No spike and drop in bg.
You can get both buckwheat flour and quinoa flour to make up something if eating cooked seeds is not something you can do.

Whats difficult for me is I don't fit neatly in any diet, so have to work out a heap on my own, and fight with other "experts" who decree one thing or another is ok. Mostly I don't talk to them about food - avoidance I know. (that includes the fedup crew. the GI believers, paelo people, raw food folk etc.)

apologies for my spelling.

Harriet - tell HRH to look at nuts that aren't nuts - cashews or brazil nuts might get past on another classification.
Just like buckwheat and quinoa aren't grains, and don't grow on "grasses".

Ivy - agreeing with you on not having "contraband" substances in the house. its more difficult if each in family needs to do different things.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Today bs is up might be fighting a ear thing.
Took meds. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast one bite of peach bacon is gone now. Now to think about ex. Need to walk or something. Chili for one meal, subway for another.

H. Enjoyed fresh peaches with his breakfast he had what I had too.

I eat a lot of peanuts and
sunflower seeds.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks for putting the idea into our heads, Lynlee, that, after all, each nut is different. We looked up some research and did some math on grams/ounces and how many of each nut make an ounce. For the type of kidney stone he (and most in US) has, it's the oxalate content you worry about, so it appears almonds are just hopeless - they have too much. So do cashews, even though they are not quite as bad.

However, walnuts and pecans are not lost causes. If he had 7 or 8 halves of either of those nuts as a little snack one day, for instance, he would only have used up a fifth of the daily oxalate-limit he should try to stay under. (Supposed to stay under 50-60 grams.) If he knew he really hadn't eaten any other high-oxalate foods one day, he could snack on twice that much without worry. So that makes him feel a lot better. Obviously, I've given up on the idea of expecting him to enjoy any bread item I might make with almond flour, and in fact the almond flour no longer seems so attractive to have in the cupboard.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:09 pm

I did yoga and stretching with some housework for activity today. I had 2 treats, but I'm emotional eating, had the treats during the day, so as not to emotional eat all night. :idea: I'm concerned about mole(s) being removed and biopsies done on them. Now, I'm trying to journal, keep busy, and prepare for the busy week ahead. :D Then I'll worry less about the mole(s) because I'll be doing constructive things to distract myself off myself. :idea: :roll:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”