Health and Fitness September, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2013

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Well, Harriet, maybe there's something to this. I know the last time I lost weight it went off so s---l---o---w that I just gave up. There were lots and lots of time I had a bunch of calories left in the day and ate a granola bar or something...or I had enough for a small portion of ice cream... so making up calories with something like that might leave me with a good calorie count but way over for the sugar.

Unfortunate that a lot of the vegetables I like are the starchy ones, lima beans, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beans, cauliflower (that too?). I did know about carrots being bad and haven't bought any of them. I od'd on celery sticks so I can't look at them for a while unless they're mixed with something!

You have his book? What's it called? Are you finding enough to eat? I've been going to bed hungry!

I'm thinking about how similar this is to Atkins (Adkins?) and I'm wondering, this doesn't get one into that keto... state (I don't know what it's called) does it?

And I'm wondering how it jives with cholesterol. Cheeses being ok, huh really? I thought I'd do this until my cholesterol tests came back better then try to add in a few of those things...half-and-half, really? But keeping those things out and limiting all fruits too, and my morning oatmeal, I just might starve to death.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I am back from my walk.
Just me the gal I was walking with hurt her back and her guy is back from three weeks of hunting camp.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts are all fine. Non-starchy. He does mention portion size being sensible, so I suppose cheese would be a best-guess thing for quantity. I sprinkle shredded on salads and omelets. The half-and-half - for instance in coffee, so not a lot. The book is called The 100. It's in libraries - our library system has 10 copies, but I notice none are immediately available. I linked (two pages back) to Cowinkie's first long post about the book when it first came out in June. I don't think I was "ready" for it then - I bought it but didn't stick with the reading and thinking about it. He says it doesn't get a person into ketosis. I can see how a person who became really strict with themselves might go into ketosis, though.

If it makes you feel any better, he says waiting on sugar calories until later in the day might be good to be sure you aren't going to go over. He also says it might be better not to have them all at one meal, though. He's fine with wine at night for the little bit of sugar in that - I don't like it though, so I'm not worried about saving sugar calories up for that. Dark chocolate he suggests - maybe sometime.

There are so many different kinds of granola bars - some might be okay. A Nutribar, which DangerBoy keeps in my kitchen, is 96 sugar calories. No, I'm not hungry. If I'm not satisfied, it's because I get to certain times of the day and think there oughta be a snack, but I'm not hungry for it, just habit.

Today I ate
omelet with so much diced peppers, onion, spinach, asparagus it fell apart. zero sugar calories
the skinny muffin with way less than 1/4 cup blueberries and raspberries. 5 sugar calories.
shrimp "salad" over tossed salad. zero sugar calories
egg mcmuffin saved in fridge. 86 sugar calories.

So that was 93 sugar calories. Obviously, the family ate without me tonight, but they planned to anyway.

(asparagus was left over from the other night's family meal of chicken breasts sauteed in garlic. Lost my post about that.)

Basic workout today, so starting over on the Total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

I did yoga/stretching twice today, did 1 load of laundry, and I did a bit of walking, but not very much. I was busy going from the office to the great room though, so was active. I ate healthy, too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I've done an internet search on this guy and his plan...and find the low carb people who have been around forever in forums are less than happy with him. They claim his recipes like the microwave cup-cake have been around for eons under another name, nothing new except he is claiming it to be his. Some are claiming he just took Atkins and tweaked it a bit, adding some freebies and called it his idea - for a new and improved diet idea - which adds to the list of new ways to diet that come out on a regular basis. Well, that isn't necessarily my opinion, but theirs.

I'm sure there is some good information in his book. The belly fat diet is also his, tweaked and adjusted into this new 100 sugar plan. I did read that if one is very strict (I don't have THAT much self-control!) that one could get into ketosis - and I've read some bad things about that.

Anyway, I am adopting a good bit of this, have already been doing some, and I'll continue to be as vigilant as I can except for the fat portion - until I know more about my cholesterol. I'll do anything to stay off those statins. I did sign up for his free recipes he sends off to email addresses. And I'm definitely going to try that muffin recipe. That'd be a treat.

Measuring & weighing this morning, my inches continue to improve, and I'm down 1/2 pound, but it took SIX DAYS for that 1/2 pound to fall off - though that might have had something to do with the baby shower food. I didn't appear to gain from that but it might have slowed things. I'm still not able to exercise yet. I've had tuna fish salad and 2 saltines so far today.

I'm happy to read I can have cauliflower!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm

One half a day into WW and I have journaled and eaten accordingly. I have only four points remaining for today but have all the weekly "additional" points. May try for an extra walk with only Moe later.

I need to go to grocery to stock up on "Free" i.e. no point foods.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Twins' Mom, do you get to use exercise to add back points you can use for later meals?

Harmony, that's wonderful about the inches improving!

Yes, I have definitely read some internet frustrations with Cruise, myself. After all, Atkins has been around a long time and taken a lot of flak. Nowadays, lots of folks are embracing low-carb concepts as if Atkins hadn't been there already, and if I were an Atkins/low-carb person, I'd be irritated, too! The Gary Taubes folks could be irritated, since he had similar ideas in his book, Why We Get Fat, 2011, but he seems to like Cruise personally and allows him to interview him in this book.

My dr was recommending Atkins when Atkins wasn't cool :D . I tried it a while but the constipation was disappointing and my joints hurt. HRH wanted to try it but dr said no because his gout (like many arthritis complaints) would probably flare up. But the solution our dr later suggested might have helped me was to add in berries. Well, that wouldn't be too far from some of Cruise's sample days - you're staying away from carbs, but you're intentionally having some sugars and picking ones that address what you want/need (for me, more fiber. for others, maybe treating themselves).

I think what Cruise is doing differently is cutting to the chase of exactly what to count and why, and explaining (bad) carbs as sugar itself, one and the same. I've caught on for a long time that fats weren't the culprit in weight gain. But of all the things I've counted over the years - calories, sodium, fiber - I didn't get the connection that "counting carbs" (also a phrase that's been around a looong time) was best done by counting sugars in undesirable foods and stopping with a daily limit. I didn't know how many things I could just forget as freebies. Also didn't know that it made such a huge difference to just choose a different food to make flour from. How easy is that - you still have flour, it's just a different one, and you still have sweetening, of course, just better for you. And you probably have to make bread yourself, since products won't be on the shelves at the convenience store. :lol:

Down another half-pound today. Need to drink more water, because playing chauffeur all over the place hasn't left time at home.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Yea Harriet.
I have been w in 2 lbs. Of the same wt. This summer. Yea! Evev after my bday. I had a nice walk w gkids I n the field this afternoon. I did 10 mi. On the ex. Bike this morning.

I had melon with, my lunch today. A lower sugar fruit.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm

I got the emails with his information. A pdf 8-page 100 menu kit, very helpful. The other one was menus but I had to get them off videos. One was fried chicken, chicken dredged in egg and coconut flour and fried in coconut oil. The other ones were all coconut recipes. Coconut bread. But you see, he is using butter and cheese in things and I'm just not sure about that for me. His stuffed tomatoes (I'm not doing those) also has lime juice and chili powder; I can't do nuts or seeds. Yep. I might just starve. Or do what I did this afternoon, have a chocolate cookie. ...groan... dh has been shopping...rats! He seems to be fighting me on this.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm

I did yoga/stretching twice and housework for activity today and helped yank a huge brown plastic tarp across 8 3/4 cords of wood outdoors.

I ate healthy all day, except for a cherry turnover pastry after DH got home from the grocery stores. He found a "bargain". Ugh.
:roll:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”