Health and Fitness, October 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2013

Postby Ivy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Nancy! WOW! WTG, Gal! Woo-Hoo! You did great on the bike! :D

I did calf/leg stretches, walked 30 minutes and did calf/leg stretches. I "plan" to do yoga/stretching prior to bedtime, sometime in the evening.

My eating has been on track, I have letters and writing of outlines, poem studying, and feature writing to do this evening, during my "challenging emotional eating" time. I'm not "stressed" about anything, so perhaps this evening will be a WINNING EVENING! My weight is going up and down 1.2 Lbs, for 4 days. :lol: It goes from 184.0 Lbs. to 185.2 Lbs. over and over! It's like my head's getting dizzy going up and down on the yo-yo string. :lol: Hoping to dip below 184.0 Lbs. by Halloween. :idea: It's be lovely to get down to 180 Lbs., too. But I realize ANY number is just that: A number. I'm so glad my life isn't controlled by the number on the scales anymore. Now I just find it entertaining, having had an eating disorder 30 years ago.

I'm 5' 5.5" tall, and I was exercising 3 - 4 hours a day, was eating fewer and fewer calories until I got down to 500 - 900 daily calories a day. I suffered from malnutrition, was in counseling, and I believe I hit rock bottom when I sat down to eat a bowl of soup, crying my heart out because I couldn't make myself eat it. :( :cry: THAT was my moment and day of reckoning! When I saw with my own eyes, how I'd gotten into this situation, I realized on my own that I needed to change. No therapist, no family member, no friend or anybody needed to tell me. I KNEW! Maybe it was divine intervention. It was around the time Karen Carpenter had died, too, which had an affect on me because the reality of this being life AND DEATH hit home. I don't know how I got on this personal "blabbing" subject, except that I now know what to look out for, be careful of, and I'm delighted I no longer have an eating disorder. I might be overweight, but I only need to lose about 20 - 30 Lbs., I'm doing it slow, and it's good to be in control. Yes, I slip up and eat emotionally some evenings, but I have things to keep me busy and I can come here to "visit at the Village" if I'm getting desperate. Thanks so much for listening to me. It lifted a load of my past problem off my heart. In the back of my mind is that fear of what if I go there again, but I don't believe I will because I love my body and family too much now to repeat that. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks IVY! I did not get a walk in except, for some shopping and some painting. DId 10 mi. On the ex. Bike.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Good job on activity levels, Ivy and Nancy. Ivy, so glad those days are in the past for you.

Spent 21 days with this very successful weight loss and gave myself a "break" over two days, as the author suggests, to be sure I didn't have any feelings of deprivation. I enjoyed a soft tortilla with one meal, a pita bread with another, and some oriental rice noodles the next day. Certainly didn't go crazy, just enjoying a few carbs. Today I'm back to the 100-sugar-calorie limit again and will see whether I feel I would like regular "breaks" or not.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Weighed in at WW this morning - couldn't get to meeting last night - and was down 1.8 pounds to get the sticker for losing 5 pounds. DH got to meeting last night and had lost 4 pounds, and he got the 10 pound loss sticker. {small pout} Yes, and he's always whiny about how he can't eat all his points, lol.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Harriet...
I am watching my sugars as well, but I see you're eating some fruit. Are you calculating the sugars to go towards your daily sugar total? I am trying not to drink too many diet sodas, but every once in awhile just have to have one. However I am using Trivul in my coffee. I either eat my skinney muffin for breakfast or make an egg dish. Almonds have become my new best friend as well s string cheese.

I do miss bread, but not the cravings that follow once I eat some. Just sticking to veggies, chicken, fish and occasional beef, as in once a week. Carbs are certainly not my friends.....

Which one of the Jorge Cruise's programs are you doning??? And where did you find the almond flour...my groceries don't carry it and I haven't had a chance to see if Sprouts does.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm

I got my walk in today after dgkids left. Felt puny earlier the walk helped.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm

COWINKIE !! Need to thank you for steering me this way. I have an embarrassment of riches... um, losses.

If you read back far enough, you'll find that I bought The 100 when you recommended, but only when I reread it more completely at the hospital, waiting on HRH's kidney stone, did I "get" it. I think I was hung up on his other books, and that wasn't simple enough to put into practice, didn't clearly say: carbs ARE sugar, with which I needed to be hit over the head.

Now, to answer .... ...

Following The 100, so, as long as I count fruit sugars I can have them, no prob. I put blueberries in my skinny muffins now almost every time (bake time increased by 5 or 10 sec) and if I have some raspberries on hand (less sugar) I cut up a few of those, too. I rotate 3 breakfast/brunches right now:

berry skinny muffin with coffee, half and half, truvia stevia packet
2-egg omelet with lots of veggies, cheese, fried in coconut oil
green drink of spinach, celery, kiwi and whatever else seems good

The highest sugar calorie count I could possibly get from these breakfasts would be if I put all blueberries in the muffin, a full 1/4 cup, which the muffin could hardly hold anyway. That would be 20 sugar calories. So obviously, I can get away with a berry muffin almost any day, and a little kiwi in my green drink is no problem at all. If the green drink is ever too adventurous-tasting (smile) I know I can always stir in a truvia packet after a taste!

I am using some Belly Fat Cure book(s) recommendations, too, but sticking mostly with The 100. I sometimes buy an egg mcmuffin just because of the great convenience and known sugar calories of 87, according to one of the Belly Fat books. Then I refrigerate it in a baggie, so I'll have it for a comforting no-hassle lunch or supper when I know I can afford it, and don't want to eat what the family's eating.

Found Almond Flour at Earth fare (no space in the name) grocery, which is a competitor, I suppose, to Whole Foods but not as swanky, and carries more serious foods and less high-ticket ones. It is Bob's Red Mill brand, in a clear tough-plastic bag. Maybe you could see if the Bob's website has locations for purchase, or maybe you could find a number to call. In theory, it is ground almonds, and I used to just make that with my Vitamix for homemade almond milk, but I wouldn't be able to make a flour this fine and perfect at home, since I wouldn't be able to get the skins off like they do. Guess you read that HRH has been told no almonds. Sigh. Oh, well. There are other ideas.

Diet sodas - I can replace at home with Zevia sodas, usually Black Cherry but sometimes Ginger Ale flavor. They are in every grocery here. I agree that on the road diet sodas are very tempting. I've considered taking a can of Zevia along in the glove box and asking for a cup of ice. But opening that can would be chancy!!!

Reporting today no cravings, so a few bread/rice servings over the last few days have not bothered me on this following day of back-to-the-100.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes, I'm glad the anorexic days are long, long past me a long time ago inside a very confused young woman.

I walked in 2 segments today to total 25 minutes. I also did calf/leg stretches prior and after walking. I need to stretch and/or do yoga moves, too. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Everybody sounds like they're doing so good! I am beginning to change sizes, not a whole size yet, but looser things, etc. Today I debated rehooking the bra to the next tighter hooks, it felt loose. My favorite Khaki slacks were loose at the waist and sad-sack droop in the back. I will really have to replace them because they're so light and comfortable, my go-to pants when I'm going out anywhere. I am down 7 lbs. since I started this. That's about a pound a week. Not as much as Harriet is losing, but really good for me. Especially since I kinda went off the program for a week or so in the middle, when I "lost it" over trying to keep the sugar number so strict. I am really limiting my sugar calories, but probably not to 100 every day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 pm

wtg Harmony
half a stone is real progress.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”