Health and Fitness, October 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Cowinkie

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2013

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Harriet...
Buffalo blue has grain free cat food. You can buy it at pet smart. I feed Sadie and Willis their wilderness grain free and have seen a huge difference in their health. Sadie used to puke all the time. It was the grain. I switched to science diet cause they were grain free and that worker for a while. Then the company was sold and grain was added. Most of my friends have switched to Blue because of no grain.

Now Sadie and Willis eat duck ... They love it and I'm waiting for he day they start quacking ;-)
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:58 am

I was down a whopping 7 pounds this morning at WW - whopping but expected since I was up 2.8 pounds last week from jeans, heavy Chacos, and drinking water while I was cleaning up the garage last Wed. Also, last week's weigh in was in the evening while this was in the a.m. and I had only had a cup of coffee before I went over there.

I've lost just over 10 pounds now, since Sept 25. Still need to get to YMCA to sign up and start exercising.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Congratulations to you, Twins'! :!: :!: :!: I admire you and am so excited and pleased for you, too. :D Good luck on your weight-loss journey.

I have a tip I heard for evening emotional eating! :!: :P It's from the Dr. Oz Show. He said to use vanilla hand lotion in the evening, to keep from snacking because you're smelling vanilla, which is a food smell and at the same time, you're changing your attention to massaging lotion into your hands, while keeping from snacking. Now, next on our grocery list is vanilla lotion for me to use in the evenings, instead of my MOUTH! :!: :roll: :idea: I wanted to pass the tip onto you, here, because I have a terrible time with nighttime snacking, on SOME evenings. It sounds like a Gr8 solution! :D

P. S. (Editing here now). I ate healthy all day, I did yoga and stretching, I had little pain, didn't walk, but did cabinet/drawer cleaning once in the bathroom, 1 load of laundry, and emptied the DW, so I had movement throughout the day. :) My "challenge" time is evening snacking, but it's 7:35 p.m., I'm full from dinner, and have crocheting to focus on this evening, some more. :idea: :) Hoping to get back to walking tomorrow again. :D Was ill this week, so got out of whack with that. :( Feeling fine, so will try my best to do walking.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:39 am

I got the 10 mi. On the ex. Bike last night.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Twins, that is great! You are doing better than I am. Losing twice as fast, I'd say.

I have another pound off. After being stuck and yo-yoing up and down a half pound, today was another pound off. So I guess I'll bounce around a bit until that sticks. I cannot figure this out. Seems when I've been my worst is when I lose.

For a couple days I sat around a great deal with my stiff back. I had mashed potatoes. Whola...1 pound off! Go figure. I guess it's the overall picture. Average calories over a few days or a week. I'll bet that's it. Plus a couple shopping expeditions out walking for a while. You'd think all the sitting would have negated all the walking, but didn't seem to. One thing about family visiting, the constant up and down with the kids eats up calories too! Plus we've had lots of salads around recently. Nice green leafy ones.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Harmony, I yo-yo about 5 Lbs. up and then 5 Lbs. down. :roll: I wonder how much of it has to do with sodium in the diet, activity or the weather? :?: I've heard that scales are affected by the weather, too. :?

Twins', You're going so great and are such an encouraging example to us all. :D

I stretched, walked 30 minutes, and stretched again. I'm having a med weaning from Fibromyalgia medication, so the dr. prescribed walking, yoga, and stretching for me. This a.m. my right thigh trigger point was acting up terrible, it did in my sleep, too, so by golly, I was NOT about to not walk because walking's prescribed and is GOOD for me. I admit that I had to use my cane for about 25 min. of my walk, too. :oops: But a Granny's gotta do what a Granny's gotta do, right? :lol: After my shower, DH will put my Icy Hot on my back. I did yoga and stretching yesterday, so this a.m. I'm sore there, too. :( I'll go ahead and do yoga and stretching again today because I need to break myself back in! :idea: The theory is that you can heal Fibromyalgia through gentle movement, yoga, walking and exercise. I want to feel much better, I'd love to lose weight, and the endorphins I earn from exercise help kill pain. It's Mother Nature's natural pain killer. The word endorphins, I've read, means "morphine within". It's a natural substance already in everyone's brains. The "key" is to exercise, so we release it to feel better. Not only better physically, but emotionally, too. Sorry I got so long-winded. :oops:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:48 am

I have been to another tai chi class on Saturdays. The form is different from the wednesday class. yoga is on Monday.

The style of both tai chi classes is different from each other, and what I've done before. Here's hoping that eventually my brain and body can learn what to expect to do where - and when. Mostly its variations on a theme. Both places say it only takes 5 years or so to get the hang of it.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:05 am

I did 10 mi. On the ex. bike last nite.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I've been eating out of controll today. Ok, maybe not out of control, haven't eaten any fast food, but I'm way off program this weekend.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:47 pm

I got the 10 mi. Done on the ex. Bike today and I got some walking in as well.

Return to “Healthy Habits”