Health and Fitness November, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
blessedw2

Re: Health and Fitness November, 2013

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm

I am supposed to work on lifestyle change... one step at a time.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Well, my lab work is all done waiting for drs. appointment on Monday. I sure have tried hard for her this past 4 months.

Today I'm at 152. That's 9 1/2 pounds down so far. Only a little over 1/2 a pound per week, but I spent a few weeks of that time stuck after I tried another diet plan that didn't work for me. Having little or no sugar grams put me into panic mode (and I'm not sure if that was mental or physical) so I had to backtrack and got stuck for a while.

Now I am eating fruit and veggies, not much if any bread or cereal. I still have ice cream once in a while. I know my overall calorie count is down. The past few days I've been eating homemade soup mostly, and I always lose weight when I do that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Wow, Harmony, so proud of you for healthy eating and slow, steady weight loss. Sure that the dr will be admitting you are doing very well and your blood work will be good. Be sure to talk about your attention to diet so that he/she doesn't jump to the conclusion meds have made weight loss easy!!! You deserve credit!

{{blessed}} squeezy hugs to you, glad you are hanging out with us here. All best wishes to you.

Oh, no, Ivy - I don't mean I actually DO anything to Doritos. They come with powdered hot sauce on them. There are 36 ingredients just in Doritos' hot coating, which makes them a lousy choice for a snack.

I wouldn't use hot sauces and expect to feel well, so, it stands to reason I shouldn't absentmindedly eat a Dorito, either.

Yesterday I did the T-Tapp Instructional 1, about 20-25 minutes.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:55 am

Harriet, I didn't realize Doritos had so many ingredients in them. :shock:

Harmony, You should be VERY proud of yourself. :D

Blessed, That's right. One baby step at a time, too. :)

I was so busy today, I forgot to exercise, but did a few stretches, some laundry, and stuck to my diet. :) I've lost around 5 Lbs. now. :mrgreen: I wish it was more, but I'm trying not to "rush" it so it'll be permanent and not go wildly onto a binge and ruin what I've earned so far. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 am

Harriet - I will only buy the flavourless corn chips -called origionals here. Though some people react to the yellow corm meal, and the vegetable oil used may well contain preservatives.
I have taken to bypassing odd womans house with a 1/2 block detour through bike paths,so the walk that was 2.8k may be 3 k now. It saves my mental health by keeping away. there is another way I can go using another bike path though the middle of my block and then around another loop block to make walking time about 45min.

Physio appointment today. Thank you for prayers Ivy. My shoulder is able to do more, reach further. Last times exercises - yes I could do that,(I wasn't sure I got it) and was given another subtle movement to mobilise high spine - upper thorasic. Cat cow with neither the cat nor cow better than the against the wall version for me.

Ive been reclaiming midnight bedtimes after some waywardness on my part. dosed after treatment today. Also drinking enough fluids. I need apply myself to that each day.

Yesterday I managed to reach to turn down passengers side sun visor while driving. I didn't think I could reach over there, but glad I could when the afternoon sun got to that place. :mrgreen:
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Lynlee, wonderful to hear of more range of movement for you. I didn't know how to advise you about that woman, but I think you've made the right choice. Why should you include something distasteful in your life? She doesn't have a "right" to be so ugly, but nevertheless she IS ugly. There's a possibility that she is dangerous, and just like avoiding chancy obstacles or neglected areas on your walks, dangerous ugliness is best avoided. How sad for her that she misunderstands her neighborhood. Someday she might have needed the neighbors she shoos away for confused reasons.

Time for me to go "bend it, tuck it, lift it" :D Yesterday was an exercise day off, but the day before I'd exercised 20 minutes and also walked a lot.

I've also been considering writing out menu plans for me personally for several days in advance. I could assure myself of variety in the meals that I eat alone, for instance, and if ever I don't eat something others do, I could assure them I'm still getting plenty.

It's 21 days until the largest holiday party for me. I'm thinking of really buckling down to healthy habits for these 21. That would be good for me, and engaging to my brain to have a Calendar Event Goal! ;) Like any sidetrackable person, I do well with deadlines and exact plans to "mind", even if they are not vitally significant!

Friday I made it to 14 healthy habits for a perfect day on my healthy habits card!
just documenting here

pints of water -
☺, ☺, ☺, ☺, ☺
15 min blocks of exercise -
T-Tapp Arms 30 minutes
Veggies/fruits -
1 - bell pepper and onion in omelet
2 -lettuce and tomato with chicken at lunch
3, 4 - big tossed salad with shrimp
5 - raspberries in flax muffin
Vitamins, supplements - all
mostly God Made? - yes, all God Made!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Lynlee, I was surprised and interested about your comment in PWYC that probiotics may be good for dental health.

Wanted to tell Blessed, you can do it! Lifestyle changes aren't easy, but once begun and a little bit successful get easier. That's been my experience.

About not minding if the House Fairy showed up here: well, my house hasn't always been tidy and clean. Bad months it was less than optimum. Dinner dishes didn't always get done, laundry clean and dirty piled up in baskets. I've had quite a few months when just the basics were too much for me.

The past several days have been very productive. I've actually felt like puttering around, tackling all the projects that seldom get done, keeping up with the every day chores. I don't know if it's physical health recovering helping my mental health, or my mental health helping my physical health! I have solved several OMM things that were just eating away at my mental energy. Wrote the check, even if it bothered me and I didn't understand - it needed to be done, so I did and moved on. Email the person I was afraid to approach. Find a solution to the project that had me wondering a lot...

And I've been under the weather for so long, I'm not sure what normal feels like any more. Am I beginning to be over-medicated again? Or is this the new normal or perhaps just a passing lift?

It'll be interesting to see if this lasts and what the dr. has to say on Monday.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 am

I noticed in my files, from a 2011 computer print-out, how http://www.livestrong.com had info on a TMJ soft diet and foods suggested for it. I don't know if Twins' comes here, to this thread or not. I think it's too late at night, to post at PWYC for her. I hope I can remember tomorrow, to put it there.

I've been following a special diet, have been doing extremely well with it, did it before, with success, but today I caved and ate a small bowl of sherbert. I know it's "not" a big deal, but I'm lactose intolerant, so got sick and had to take my med pills for it. :roll: I had let my guard down, I was warm, and DH just had a small bowl, it was so tempting, and of course I paid for it later. :oops: :oops: :roll:

Oh! I walked 35 minutes today and did calf/leg stretches, too. :)

I "need" to get back into the habit of stretches and yoga again. :!: As I wean off the FM med, I need to be stretchable so the pain will be less because I'll be more flexible and the muscles more relaxed. Am having a "bit" of a problem weaning, but got a schedule on how to do it, from my nurse, I printed it up, and put it in my kitchen drawer where I keep my peak flow chart and peak flow meter, to refer to daily, so I won't confuse what nights not to take it and what night to take it. Then I wrote positive affirmations on my calendar to come to my inbox daily for that, crochet for the holidays, and my O.M.M. list encouragement, too.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 am

Harriet - I wanted very much not to give in to "that woman" who sought to do an illegal thing and harass/threaten me for walking my dog outside her home. That last day I did yell back that it was a public footpath. My problem was it annoyed me so much. My head wanted revenge - never a good look. A worse feeling. Backing away away seemed like avoiding a house where a dog easily escaped and bailed us up, it had bitten a teen as well and it wasn't until a postie got bitten it was removed. There's an euphemism. Likely the household had not altered from those days they gave their live in grandson an air rifle. (Accent is the same.) And he had pointed it in my direction one time before fences and trees blocked vision, and also fired at horses before further development happened. I was cranky about that back then and had called the police. You are right. Dangerous is one word that applies.

Harmony - one time - I think maybe here in H&F I followed links re benefits on probiotics, and read all those comments eventually finding a testimonial re a probiotic periodontal bone loss complete recovery.
Sometimes saved bits of paper yield results. From the side of my purse comes a slip of paper with my notes. Not sure if its meant to be one line. Theres a circle around 1st 3.
(Lactobacillus
Rhamnosus
Lysate)
Gum - Plus
Interlac
To make it interesting the probiotics have different names here from US. The above is US speak.

Ivy - I have jaw joint problems too. I jiggle it sideways if I need open it wide. Or half way sometimes. Its a bit like changing gears. I Massage it sometimes.

At tai chi today instructor wanted us in turn to lead the next movement. As I am only just learning to copy what is called, I mentioned waving arms and legs as my contribution - with an apology.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:50 am

Looking in - my YMCA visits are already off track after one workout - my back has been sore on one side since then so I backed off for now. Enough going on with teeth and mouth. The TMJ dentist also prescribes gentle neck exercises to improve neck/shoulder pain related to the clenching of teeth.

I was wearing my Fitbit pretty consistently (not usually getting to 10K steps, but doing well, particularly while out of town) when I left it on jeans that went into the washer yesterday. So it's back into a bowl of dry rice and I'm hoping that it starts back up this afternoon, especially since they replaced it after the previous washing episode.

Ivy, I bet I can find the Livestrong TMJ diet info through googling. Thanks for thinking of me here, perhaps the softer diet will make it easier to lose weight. I sure didn't want to eat much at lunch yesterday (soft peanut butter/banana sandwich on wheat bread.)

I've been meaning to mention that my massage therapist (who is into very holistic eating and living) recommends kefir for probiotic action as he believes it has a wider variety of cultures. The brand Lifeway is easy found in our local groceries; I prefer the unsweetened/unflavored and it reminds me of a tangy buttermilk.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”