Health and Fitness November, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness November, 2013

Postby Ivy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Lucylee, At the end of Dr. Oz's show he has a disclaimer against all sorts of ads being emailed to inboxes, etc.. with HIS name endorsing all sorts of weight loss claims, so check it out very good first. You want to make sure it's not a scam ad from one of these Dr. Oz imposters. But IF it's at his site, maybe it's okay. I'm leery of weight loss supplements because they can interfere with sleep, moods, digestion, the heart rate, and the mind, too. I'd investigate it as best you can, even go to YouTube to see if there is info on it, or a video. Some products are spouting Dr. Oz's stamp of approval, when they're merely using his name to pull the wool over everybody's eyes. I've never heard of garcinia cambodia as a weight loss supplement. I'd be scared to try it. I don't believe Dr. Oz is a quack, but I DO believe there are quacky doctors out there, trying to sell their supplements, etc... under his name, when he in true life isn't endorsing such things. At the end of every single show he has, he talks about any claims that sound too good to be true being from other sources and they do NOT has his name on them. He said to be vary wary. He's NOT a quack, but other doctors ARE, who are trying to use consumers for their own monetary gain, just to get rich, when Dr. Oz wouldn't ever endorse such a product.

I will do yoga and stretching today, but not timed walking, as I've gotten an upset stomach today, am tired, and have been active, so don't feel a timed walk is necessary for me today. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 pm

lucylee, I've certainly heard of it but don't know anyone who has tried it. The only red flag that goes up for me is that mention on the Oz site about not taking it if you have dementia because it could worsen dementia. That seemed so strange to me because from what I've learned, dementia is ultimately universal, since dementia simply means the brain diminishes in size, which happens to 100 percent of people, starting long before mid-life. And beyond that, there are as many as 50 different causes of dementia. So I thought that was pretty broad to say don't take it if you have dementia! LOL Then, who could take it? I can only think they mean don't allow someone being treated for dementia to take it.

I notice WebMD has nothing particularly bad to say about it, but suggests people to take it short-term, and suggests 12 weeks.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm really kinda scared to try it. I think ddil is using it (why, I don't know, LOL!) but I did hear a friend of a friend had actually GAINED weight taking it. My beautician is using it -- or was at our last appt. I'll have to remember to ask her about it next time. But if it has any connection at all to dementia, then oh my goodness... I don't think I want to go there! My granddaddy had it, and his mother had it, and he has a set of first cousins where every female in the family developed early-onset Alzheimers. And already can't remember a lot of students names from LAST YEAR. :shock:
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 pm

That's scary about the Alzheimers. I'd rather be fat than lose my mind! Course, if I lost my mind, I probably wouldn't know I was fat! :roll:

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed in Dr. Oz these days. I liked him in the beginning, but seems like these days he's promoting any product that comes down the pike. I'm sure they're paying him a lot to endorse those things.
That Garcinia stuff was marketed as Citrimax at least 18 years ago. I remember it being out there. But I guess this time around it has all this celebrity hype and now it's famous. If it worked as well back then why didn't we hear about it?
Last edited by Harmony on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm

I got the 10 mi. Done on the ex. Bike. Plus I had to chase the hens back in thenothersmwere clucking bc two were out! LOL, Me "chasing them is me just opening the gate and taking food to their run! Then they all come runing!"

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm

I was ill today, but did 20 minutes of yoga this evening while listening to a sermon on-line. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm

My mom said she watches dr. Oz faithfully and tried one of his "folk" remedies using ginger to lower bs and had to go back to the other one ( cinnamon ) bc the ginger was not working for helping with blood sugar like it claimed to. That is why I stopped watching. Each week they recomend this or that supplement $50 a mo. And it did not help ack! IMO
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Wanted to report that I at least maintained my loss this week - no gain, no loss. Hard week for eating well - dinner at temple last Friday night, house guest on Sat night, on the road Sunday and Wednesday, lunch w drabbi's wife and dinner meeting at JCC on Monday.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 am

I raked leaves that was a good workout especially for my arms. did on round on the exercise bike this a.m.

This afternoon h. Said he did ten min. On the gazelle I did a few min. getting used to it then did 20 min. On it some back ground music was helpful. I did another set after dinner.

I am not getting as much as I think I need for cardio on it yet but I am hoping to get thay as I am more used to this piece of equipment.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:03 pm

@lest 3 trips up & down the stairs with laundry etc. Today and raking up some leaves and swept the csrpot t8 get heart rate up this a.m.

Return to “Healthy Habits”