Health and Fitness December, 2013

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness December, 2013

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Welcome. This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we grow more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness December, 2013

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:42 pm

For my ex. Today I did my 10 ki. On the ex. bike.
I did 30 min. On the gazelle.
I raked leaved off the frint yd. Today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:58 am

I lost some weight at the beginning of the year. Then my knees gave out and I struggled to not gain. Then they got better and it started to come off slowly. Then I got sick and didn't eat any solid food and somedays only IV fluid for 7 days and lost not a pound. Twice.

Then I inexplicable lost weight without any attempt while recovering. That lasted only a few weeks but I lost over 10 lbs. Then my weight started to creep back up.

Of course, my knees were out again from the weeks with no movement and exercise wasn't possible even if I wanted to.

In there was a ton of stress eating while ds got ready to leave, dd was moving back (we were shedding things from the house in both cases) and Halloween candy was handy to me as I worked in the basement since it was stored in the pantry.

I'm back up to where I started the year. Total lost this year - 20lbs. Total gained this year - 20 lbs. Sigh....

I'm on the treadmill after time on the bike. A week ago I was on the treadmill for a little bit but didn't post from here because I was updating the computer. I hadn't been on since August (I could tell because that's where the SHE boards were when I started up the browser.)

I have a goal but I'm not sure it is worth sharing since these goals don't seem to do me any good.

I have the cruise coming up and that might be a way to lose weight since it is portion controlled eating. No candy. No chips. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies and no need to be in the kitchen. I'm also hoping moving my desk out of the kitchen will cut eating some but it has been a week and no evidence it is helping, yet.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 am

portion controlled eating

That's basically my eating plan. The hardest part (for me) is to learn what a correct portion is. I do include candy, chips, desserts and treats. I'm also learning what the correct portion is for those too. I'm trying to make nothing off-limits but learn enough to make a informed decision/choice.

I was at my goal weight Nov 2011. I reached that weight by doing extreme low carb. It was an easy way to drop the weight fast. However, giving up carbs for the rest of my life wasn't feasible. Once I started eating carbs the weight all came back. My goal is to return to that same weight, but to learn how to do it in a manner that can be continued.

I started configuring my eating plan last month. It has elements of Weight Watchers & Diabetic exchange systems, but portion control & nutrition tracking is the underlining strength of it. I followed this newly created plan enough last month to know if it would work for me - just a casual testing while tweaking the parts that didn't flow smoothly and not feel constrictive. My goal is that it is something I can/will do for a life-time. I have it *mostly* set up, so I started following it in earnest yesterday (Dec 1).

Kathryn - If/when you feel ready to share your goal, I'm all "ears". :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:02 pm

I have gotten the last of the leaves today it is a great work out. We still have the gutters to do and I rake the leaves off the lawn next door from out tree. I hear trucks and equipment so I will take a walk to see what is going on.

It is supposed to be cold later in the week so that will
effect my ex. Routine.

I have done another round of ex. raking leaves next door and the chickens run. Plus up and down the stairs doing laundry.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

I wish everybody good success this last month of the year.

I know I can't go to big extremes when it comes to diet, or I won't be able to stick to it.

Interesting, that one of my lab results showed ketones...which is from burning fats I guess, and that would be in response to my dieting. My blood glucose was normal, so there was not that element to it. Other stuff in my sample was abnormal and I'm trying not to think about that too much. Could have been from lots of bad stuff, stones, or worse ... and I guess the dr. isn't too concerned because she's not retesting for another 6 months. On the Inet search the other day, it is usually recommended that one be retested soon and followed up, so I'm not sure what to think about all that.

In the mean time I'm just focused on portion control and as little junk as I can make myself NOT eat! I'd like to be 145 by Christmas, but that may be too ambitious for me as I don't lose very fast. We'll see.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm

I wish Dec. success, to everybody, too, health and fitness-wise. :D

I decided to not do the low-carb diet. Instead, I'll do the (what I call) "The Eyes Diet," which is a diet my ophthalmologist recommends. It is 5 fruits/veggies a day, protein, fiber, and take Baush & Lomb eye vitimins based on the AREDS study. I use the ones with Lutein in them. This diet is sound, based on a study, which showed better eye health on people who followed it. I'll stick to it because it's well-balanced, too. :idea:

Also, exercise is good for the eyes because it causes healthy circulation of blood through the eyes. Losing weight, for those of us who are overweight, is also good for the eyes because extra fat means the circulation in the eyes is harder to do. So weight loss is healthy. Cigarette smoking is very hard on the eyes because it cuts off the circulation of oxygen to the eyes. :(

Today I did calf/leg stretches before and after my 1/2 hour of walking. :mrgreen: I'll TRY to remember to do extra stretching and yoga moves sometime this evening, to loosen up my back, to help me relax and sleep better. I need to get into the habit of doing these things in the morning and early evening or late afternoon, for sleeping better. :idea: I'm so happy I exercises today! :mrgreen: I didn't do any on the weekend. :oops: :roll: :|
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Harmony, if the doctor is so un-alarmed, at least that really does sound pretty encouraging.

Today my exercise was a heavy-cleaning day, and I genuinely feel tired!

breakfast was very healthy with raspberries.
lunch was a big tossed salad with chicken.
supper was beans and spinach.

So, at least 5 servings of veggies.

May not have had enough water - sorta lost count :roll: .
Took all my supplements.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 am

Decision about when & where to exercise is something that is new to me.

I always intend to exercise everyday, but in reality it keeps getting shoved into the "not done" category. When i try to *make* myself exercise, I resist because it is boring. Sooo very boring to walk the same-oh track...to walk the same-oh treadmill...to do the same-oh video, etc. I can make myself do it for a short time, but am too willing to let it slide.

What I am trying now is to accept that I have this resistance to not do the same-oh exercise. Instead I am appealing to my fun/adventure/creative side by looking at the day schedule & weather and let those elements direct where/what/when I will exercise each day. Suddenly exercise seems fun. One of the highlights of my day. Something I look forward to.

Today I'm walking at the Veterans National Cemetery after attending a funeral there. I know this sounds weird, but I find cemeteries a great place to walk. There are usually great roads with almost zero traffic. And there is always something to look at (tombstones)and think upon. Don't hate me for being weird. :) I'm actually looking forward to daily exercise.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am

OKay, we are all weird here so that's why we love each other - we are among our own kind!

My goal is be at 159 for April 1. That is still 20 pounds over my goal weight and it is an aggressive goal. I was at 180 3 days ago. Haven't weighed myself since. I was 174 when I saw you so I'm hoping the first few pounds will fly off since they are 'new'.

At 180 I'm clinically obese, BTW.

To break down the goal - if I eat carefully and stick to WW, I will lose 1.5 pounds a week (if I do a lot of high cardio exercise along with the reduced eating.) That adds up to 6 pounds before I leave. If I lose 5 pounds for the 30 days on the ship, I'll be pleased. That makes a total of 11. Somehow I have to lose 9 in months of Feb and March. Feb is the hard month, living for 2 weeks in New Zealand so responsible for either cooking my own food or eating out every day. I've just taken those days out of the timeline completely and hope to maintain. From Feb 15 to March 31 I'll need to lose 9 pounds which is doable if I'm strict.

Note: I didn't eat to WW yesterdays, I'm slowly incorporating that. And I'm still eating lots of grains. At the beginning of the year I curtailed gluten and the weight came off easily. I don't know if it will actually work at all for me for long-term loss but I will do it on the ship. That's an easy thing to do when there are so many other options. Oh, wait, it is an Italian ship and the penne makes a good dish when I want a light supper. Oh, and their breadsticks!

Getting fresh veggies while traveling is the hardest part so the ship part will be easy for that.

My knee is complaining so I had to slow down the treadmill. Which means I'll be late finishing up my exercises. I'm on another timed day in order to keep in control of all that has to happen.

Return to “Healthy Habits”