Health and Fitness January, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2014

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Ivy, I meant to congratulate you on looking nice in a 12-14 top.

Today I continued my 5-day "streak" :D of 20-minute T-Tapp exercise and this time continued through lunges, which are quite challenging to the large muscles of the legs. So that felt strenuous but also felt good.

There's no doubt my appetite is bigger when exercise is daily, though. I was reading a T-Tapp post about weight gain while shaping up - a common theme on that site. Often there is little weight loss and even slight gain while the clothing gets looser. I know the pattern and yes, of course I would be satisfied with that. No weight loss is kinda a downer, though. In general, who knows what anyone's scale says. But now that I am of an age that I have to wonder what the dr thinks of my scale, I'd actually like to see losses rather than have to give explanations.

I was so interested in hearing Dee comment in PWYC (from sherinjoy) on the "Don't Break the Chain" theory again, this time relating to no desserts. Dee is a good one to mention it, since she has often proven she is great at consistent daily exercise. I wonder how long I can go with my little streak. :o

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Harriet, Thank you for the congratulations! :D

I'm only planning to do yoga/stretching for exercise today because of the still-queasy tummy. :(

I subscribed to W. W. paper Magazine, their e-newsletters and to Dottie's Weight Loss Zone e-newsletter, and she and her DH are W. W.-er's.

I also got out my binder full of numerous essays by Dottie's DH, Al Coon, too. I'm trying to get ready and off on the right foot, for Monday the 20th, when I "officially" start my 2006 W. W. At-Home Turn-Around Program again. :idea: I have a lovely spiral notebook w/a black cover, silver diamond patterns and rhinestones at every point. It sparkles so beautiful. DH got it with my b-day card (among other b-day gifts). This was something pretty he thought I could use. I decided :idea: to use colored pens on the pages, occasionally add stickers, and on the back pages, I'll write down weigh-in days, for Mondays and will draw and decorate a "story board", like directors and ad businesses use to tell a story with plans, goals, and inspiration. I believe I'm getting off on the right track.

I have a BFF who is being my diet buddy, too. :mrgreen: I keep reminding myself of a quote I saw:

THIS IS NOT A DIET; THIS IS A JOURNEY. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:37 pm

I have exercised today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 pm

6th straight day of formal exercise, this time the intermediate one. Drinking water now, but not happy with my water consumption. Needs to be better.

Best wishes to our WW folks. Twins' Mom and Ivy. Another villager who sometimes goes to meetings is helia.

Let us know which herbal tea you chose, Nancy. That is probably a good choice. Regular tea is associated with kidney stones. Not a problem for people who aren't susceptible, but HRH has had to give it up. Don't know if he would ever decide on a herbal one. He seems to have settled on water almost all the time.

rant, skippable
Disgusted with doctor's office right now, as they arbitrarily DIDN'T send the blood work copy even when HRH requested it, and I heard him do it, and they say it is a service they will provide. This is constant. Happened so many times with our own family and with my eldercare responsibilities that it's just ridiculous. I honestly believe there is an attempt to keep people from being in charge of, or having access to, their own information, so that they can make wise health decisions and take ownership of their own health decisions. I will be calling them to give them my speech about who it was who bled to facilitate this test, them or my husband. It is not "their" test results on "their" blood to hide from the patient (read, customer - person paying them.) He did not "give" them his blood and promise to go home in confusion while they keep secrets. He requested a test in a consumer transaction, and paid for it - they paid nothing, but instead accepted payment as service providers. End of rant.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Harriet I have so been there with the trying to get actual numbers on my blood tests.

I have a sore toe from a hang nail on my little toe, chaffed skin on my leg from ex. Machines yesterday It is uncomfortable to walk so not sure WHAT I will do for movement today, maybe on total gym to use other muscle groups.

Travel show was on Hawaii thinking of K in C.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Did 10 min. yoga, 1/2-hour walking, loaded in some firewood, am doing laundry, and did 6 min. of cardio dance. I'm getting tired now, but my laundry & letters await. May put out a few hot spots, too. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Shopping , short 1 mi. walk for ex. Today.
Soaking feet now.

I got the fruit tea mix, it is an asortment of rasperry zinger, country peach passion,wild berry zinger, true black berry, black cherry berry, by celestial seasonings @ the local groc. Store here also got a box of lemon ginger stash and found huckleberry tea at the fruit stand in a tin loose yea. (They had huckleberry coffee too it is yummy I've had it before.)

Going up and down the stairs to restock the freezer and do laundry is part of my ex. Today too.

I did an upper body light work out on the total gym tonight.
I like the quietness of the t.g. some treadmills are so noisy and need to be plugged in.

Had yugart for dinner tummy upset again but it is better.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:18 pm

7th day straight - changed to just the primary back stretch of T Tapp and then Zumba.

Right now experiencing pain because of onions in a salad I ate for a late meal. I just can't handle onions that are "hot" and not sweet.

Hadn't heard of huckleberry as a tea or coffee, Nancy. That's interesting that you liked the coffee.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm

I spent several hours trying to convince myself that my legs would stop hurting from walking the mall today and I could exercise. But when dd15 said her legs were hurting, too, I realized we had walked way too far to ignore it as my exercise for today. So my exercise today was a long trek all over the local mall, up stairs and down, with way too little rest stops!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:23 am

Slowly climbing back on the ex. Wagon yesterday Indid the ex. Bike and gazelle. With 35* for today's hi temp. I will be repeating that today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”