Health and Fitness January, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness January, 2014

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:24 am

Hi everyone! Here's a new year with all its promise! Gotta tell ya'... that's exciting. Seems like so much is possible. (Yay!)

What are your resolutions for 2014? :idea: Several of us have already started making resolutions that involve health-related goals. Health is the number one category for resolutions - not surprising! It's kinda reassuring to know everybody else sees a need to improve their health and fitness, too. We are not alone!

Do you have calendar-event goals or possibly small reachable goals along the calendar? Maybe for stamina, weight loss, strength, or fitting into something?

Or maybe your resolutions are habit-related? New research shows that it usually takes longer than we think it will to form a new habit - that's tough news :| but we can up the odds by trying to have the same surroundings for beginning the habit each day, which speeds habit-forming. And, by having some form of record-keeping. For instance, of those who start a running program, those who will wear a pedometer (not just those who have one, lol) are more likely to make running a habit, possibly because they have a record of it. But it doesn't have to be equipment at all - just writing down the record-keeping, even if it's shorthand like check marks or filling in a bubble on a form, seems to make the difference in how long people "stick with it"!

And the best new habit-research news is that missing a day makes very little difference - so no reason to give up!

If you have a report for 2013 to share, please do. We are genuinely interested.

If you want to share goals here and commit to your plan, you will find cheerleaders.

Happy 2014!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2014

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Goal more water, adding arm work could be total gym or raking, using wts. Etc.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I lost 11 pounds in 2013. I hope to keep that trend going, and add more exercise, if just walking more, and adding some supplements to help with cholesterol. I'm happy we're through the holiday party season, happy to get back to more normal routines.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Nancy, do you have a total gym yourself in your house? Their commercials are interesting.

Harmony, what a good report. You have a lot to be happy about. And haven't you been having better energy lately?

I'm thrilled it's January, too. Whew! Calming down some is exactly what I need. We've been just overwhelmed. And that is lousy for my eating, gets in the way of time for exercise, causes stress, keeps me from healthy habits. I don't know - maybe next year I need to get started on Christmas in August. :roll: But even so, it wouldn't help with all the people-stuff, would it?

I'd like to have really great healthy habits for 2014.
Resolution - Seeing how many days straight I can accomplish habits. And if I miss a day, just jumping back in. Formal exercise needs to hit 2 1/4 hours a week.

Inspiration - thinking of myself as the slim, svelte and strong woman that's already inside and just needs to be evident on the outside!

What happened today:

formal exercise - 15 mins
veggies, fruits - 5
water - 4 pints
supplements - all

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:01 am

I've remained within a 3-Lb. range for 9 weeks now. I would like to continue to walk 30 min. daily, as prescribed by my primary care physician, I did it today, and will try to continue with stretching a yoga, but want to do my Pilates/Yoga W.W. DVD workout, too. I have AFO's I wear for my ankles, which come up 8-9" on my legs. The podiatrist and PT said to ride my recumbent stationary bike 5 min. daily for 7 days, then add 5 minutes for each week after that, until I'm riding 25 - 30 min. daily or 3 times daily. Another fun thing I'd like to do is get out the Zumba workout DVD, which came with the book about it, to try some Zumba. The book says there isn't a wrong or right way, you go as fast or slow or as silly as you want, too. :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 am

My weight is perhaps down by 5 - 7 pounds but I simply don't remember where I was this time last year. I made a very small stab at starting exercise program at YMCA but simply didn't get there. Have continued with walking ddogs twice daily, except that dMacs is only walking about half as far as he did last year. Dh and I ate "on program" for WW for a couple of months; I think I've held off regaining the 10 or so pounds lost there.

I need to pick back up with WW this year, plan and fit the exercise program into my schedule (i.e. make it a priority.) This will become easier as temple duties decrease throughout the year and I gain back the time that has been sucking up. Fitbit hasn't been used at all lately, and I want to start tracking steps/activity again.

Need to think upon a plan. For today, will log what I eat on WW software, and go for 5 servings of fruits/veggies.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 am

I finished 2013 weighing 2 lbs heavier than at the starting of the year.

My current biggest health challenge = I am a night time emotional eater. I am working hard to come to grips with that. I tend to eat perfectly all day long and then blow it during the night hours (after LO goes to sleep). My will power and decision making skills are very low during those night time hours.

At the end of November I dug out my old spreadsheet that I used when Indiana mentored me in Diabetic Exchange way of eating/tracking. I added some columns to the spreadsheet to enable tracking in several different ways (WW points Plus, carb counting, calorie counting). As the information about the food I eat is collected (nutrition facts taken off the packages), it becomes faster & easier to record & track. My consistency is slowly improving. Last month I tracked 16 days completely and 9 days partially.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:13 am

Yes we have an older model total gym in the basement.
H. Said the sitting while rowing acting does not promote good posture. So I am taking a note of this and trying it an see if it has this negetive effect on me or not.
But I am going to try it.

The hand grips, are not cushy I would like those newer ones, but this mach. Gets rare use, don't know if it is woth the investment on new grips.
Gazelle works arms too.
(I can get a workout outside most of the yr.)

Anti work out equipment was getting a new TV I realized so need to counter act that! With some walking in place etc.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Well Im also glad that the holidays are over. I ate well and hiked over 20 miles while my son was here. The 8 mile one was a very strenuous one, but I've one it several times before.

I can control my eating if I just stay away from CARBS. They are killer for me. I read some where that after a certain age your body finds its "set weight" and just keeps fighting to stay or get there. I'm beginning to believe that, though I am attempting to rove that theory wrong.

So it's back to no sugar, anything white as in flour or starches, limited dairy and picking up my gym again. I too have a gazelle and keep reminding myself to use it while watching tv. I'd really like to have a treadmill and have promised myself if I use my gazelle 4 or more times a week until my B'day than I will treat myself.

I just sent for a "talking" pedometer. Prior to my son's visit I was tracking my steps, weight and gazelle time on a daily basis. I'm starting that again today. I will be visiting my mom during the first part of Feb. and have set a goal of 10 lbs which in my case is certainly doable.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Cowinkie, you know what I think (and nothing scientific about what I think!) - I think we get used to a set way of eating, a sandwich at a certain time, a sweet in the evening, you know what I mean, and that results in our weight staying at that certain point forever! We can change our habits and weight goes up or down, but go back to those same habits which are so comfortable for us, and the weight goes back to the same point all over again.

It's happened to me over and over. I'm working on changing the habits once and for all. I'm getting more comfortable waiting till I feel really hungry before I eat. That's a good habit for me to keep forever if I can.

Harriet, you're right, I have much more energy these days and it has changed my life. I'm very thankful.

Return to “Healthy Habits”