Health and Fitness January, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness January, 2014

Postby Ivy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 am

Nancy, I was told that it's wise to always eat a protein with a carb, too. Something about if you eat a carb only, if you're diabetic, it spikes the blood sugar quicker. Is this true? :?:

Harriet, I'm glad the relocation of the elliptical is working out better for you. :D

For walking in stores and later on the phone, while talking to Dson/Dgrson, I walked 45 minutes total, did 2 lol. Was having acid indigestion, due to red onions in the taco salad, so didn't do housework for activity or yoga/Pilates. I had to rest. When I the other half for dinner, DH added more chicken to my salad and I took out the red onions. We rarely eat out. I'm glad I got my exercise in, got out today and ate plenty of "0"-Point veggies. :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 am

IVY; The protien after the carb. Is to help preventing another blood sugar crash and to stablize blood sugar levels.

Mine is up today from this cold and hormones sigh.
House work will be part of my ex. Plan this morning. I had cocoa coffee for breakfast after my meds.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Twins' Mom, this could have been shorter if I'd had more time!
Apologies to everybody for a rambling post, and for personal experience that is different from other families, I'm sure.

I was interested to read that diagnosis name, "Frontotemporal Dementia", I'd never heard before in the article you linked. You may remember that my mother's twin was tentatively diagnosed with "Dementia with Lewy Bodies", and my ddad was tentatively diagnosed with ARCD, "Age Related Cognitive Decline". There are actually many different dementias - it's a misconception that it's all Alzheimer's. And sure enough they were very different. My dear aunt experienced confusion about where she was when in her own home, forgot leg movement, lost her ability to be herself or care for herself several years before her death. My ddad (although he gave us scares BECAUSE of his physical capabilities without the needed wisdom), tended to most of his own grooming, bed-making, and clothes choice, still taking walks outdoors until shortly before his death.

My dear aunt needed someone to feed her within just a few years of her diagnosis, while my ddad never even considered the idea of anyone else holding a spoon, toothbrush or comb, so, 2 really different dementias. Oddly, learning what to expect from both the different diagnoses is what helped make our decisions that each could be cared for at home. My ddad was considered high functioning in a familiar environment. My dear aunt, although extremely dependent, was very calm, and no one was ever scared about her walking away or doing anything else harmful.

I fought for regular B-12 testing for both of them to know when to supplement, and insisted on the D-Mannose to try to keep dear aunt out of the hospital again, after she reacted so badly to the hospital once. My dmother was also insistent on the B-12 testing for them, because she remembered that the community's long-time family doctor used to swear by it for older patients.

If I knew then everything I know now, I'd fight harder with my ddad's doctor to wean him from the tylenol PM, which I've read even more about and mistrust even more now. But doctor was so hopeful it would help with sleep, and that is very important for mental clarity. I'd try harder to get coconut oil into their diets - didn't know about it with my dear aunt and my ddad was suspicious of it. I did get my ddad to take the supplement Acetyl L-Carnitine and fish oil for a while until he began to feel he couldn't swallow them.

And reading this new book mentioned above, I'd probably try to change their diets to less carbs. But nothing was going to keep my ddad from having bread with every meal, a habit learned in the depression when bread was used to make the meal seem larger. And food treats became one of his few enjoyments (you probably remember our cookie wars) so it seemed so mean to stop him. Also I now wonder about his insistence on beans every day, which was probably key to his great digestion and regularity, but may not have been good for the brain if carbs aren't so good....? still reading about that.

My aunt-in-law, dcouinMary's mother, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, btw, and I would have to say that her years with dementia were the hardest on caregivers of the three. I am still amazed that my cousins could care for her at home, but there were several caregivers there. She fought against help very strongly and required constant, vigilant monitoring.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Two following days were T-Tapp, for 12th and 13th days.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:59 am

Harriet, it's too bad so much dimentia was/is in your family. I recently heard it is 1 in 4 people have some type of altz. Could that really be true?

Thinking about grains: I've discovered wheat is the worst thing (besides things like hot sauce, etc.!) to cause me heartburn.

I've gained back a pound. Too much junk in the house. But I'm not going up steadily, just picked up a pound. And right now I'm not motivated to diet / lose. It's cold in the house (wondering if that's part of it) and I'm really in "make the food" mode right now. Considering all that, I think I'm still doing ok.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:41 am

Yesterday exercise was the elliptical, day 14.

Harmony, that is wonderful that even through all this kitchen time and cooking, plus cold weather, you've only found a pound - that will probably be gone as quickly as it came.

Current thinking is that there are about 8 different types of dementia, and Alzheimer's is one of them. I read a similar statistic that 1 in 5 people who live past 80 wll have dementia by then, and it goes up from there. They don't know how many people just happened to die younger and never be diagnosed. But they won't all have Alzheimer's. And of course the dementias won't always be severe, though they may get progressively worse.

Current thinking is that Alzheimer's is the most common dementia, then vascular dementia (caused by strokes) is next and Dementia with Lewy Bodies is third. (The name of that one comes from the discoverer of the physical brain changes, Dr. Frederick Lewy.) I think the one from the article Twins' Mom linked is fourth. There's also "Mixed Dementia" and others that are more rare.

What my ddad had, ARCD, is defined as: "Problems with memory, language or another essential cognitive function that are severe enough to be noticeable to others and show up on tests". Since dementia literally means the diminishing of the brain, it's a dementia, too, but sufferers can have a more normal daily life. Rarely, an ARCD sufferer gets better, and if it's mild enough to do that, then it's called "Mild Cognitive Decline".

To try to avoid vascular dementia, you would do the same things you'd do to try to avoid strokes, for instance eating brightly colored veggies and fruits. The other dementias SEEM to have the common denominator of sugars and grains, so to avoid them you would limit breads, desserts, etc.

The book Grain Brain also talks about a dietary connection with ADD and ADHD. Our friend who visited the other day wrote down the name of the book for his adult son who has ADD and has trouble in college/job search even though his IQ is very high. He said his son is in the habit of eating cereal for snacks all day, and buys enough to have a box of cereal per day. So maybe there really would be a change for the better in his ADD if he changed his diet.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 am

I'm thinking that Harriet's family is genetically quite long-lived, and that the age-related dementias turn up eventually for many elderly folks who have not encountered other health issues?

Saturday at PT with dMacs one of the vets mentioned alkaline water...Harriet, have you read anything? C, the PT gave me some info but don't know what to think?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

I learn a lot on this site thanks!
I did both the ex. Bike and the gazelle.

Change out of jeans after feeding to more comfy clothes for ex. To. Prevent chafing like last week. Hoping I can walk and do some out site ex. This week.

So skippaple: Moved my shower card to just before bed at least some of the time h. Commented on the timing of that, not well recieved by me what the heck diff. Does it make when I take my shower I sleep better at least I got one. Was my response. -Sigh- I had issues and a few tears not really his fault hormones in full swing this week. I suspect I've been in fullout cranky mode. I think we were both glad this weekend was over! / :roll:

Is it spring yet?

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

I've been a lurker on H & F thread. Waiting until it was time for me to be motivated and focused enough to join in.

This morning I got a wake-up call how important it is to take care of my body. I typically do several stretches each day, but due to having the stomach bug I stopped doing them for few days. This morning I decided to return to my typical stretching routine......I bent over to put my hands on the floor and couldn't do it! I could only touch the floor with my fingertips. Ditto on the other stretches. My body just couldn't do them. I am hopeful and confident with a little time and continual effort, that my body will be able to do them again. I also spent 20 minutes on the treadmill this morning since it is too cold to play outdoors today.

I am renewing my effort to track nutritional intake (food/drinks). I am thankful to have a system in place that I'm pleased with. However, it only works when I use it. :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks so much you guys for saying nice things about my long posts and not what you have a right to say: "Harriet you talk too much!" :oops:

Twins' Mom has a point. All 3 of the people I mentionrd - 2 kin to me and one an aunt-in-law - were either oldest or second-oldest members of our church congregation when they died. Other aunt-in-law I've mentioned here had a stroke resulting in vascular dementia, and she, too, was oldest in congregation when she died. I'm sure I've been in a position to learn about, or question drs about, these problems more than others, since I was in the middle of the caregiving. Most interesting of all to me, though - why did my dmother never experience these things, although she lived to almost 95 and only died then because an operation took away swallowing ability?

Alkaline water - HRH's brother the organic butcher sometimes drinks this. He heard about it from other organic foods folks. I'll have to ask him what he feels it does for him. Dr. Mercola says it's helpful for a week or two because it is detoxifying, but then might as well be stopped because it won't have any further benefits, and you wouldn't want to swing the other way toward too alkaline. What interests me about your vet's thoughts is that Tobias' urine was acid while he felt so bad and the food our vet prescribed changed its acidity back to normal. Wonder if alkaline water would help him if he ever had another episode of urinary problems?

Good job getting back into stretching exercises, OKay.

I'm sure Ivy is frustrated that she can't post these last couple days. Hopefully she'll be able to soon .

Return to “Healthy Habits”