Health and Fitness, February, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 am

Ivy I hope you enjoy WW! It is my go-to weight loss and I have no answer as to why I haven't gone to it this time. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm obese now and starting over having to lose 50 pounds instead of 20 is overwhelming. Unfortunately, I used that excuse when I had 40 to lose.

I'm back on the treadmill this morning, after doing 20 minutes on the bike. I'll try and do 20 on each, daily, except for when my cousin is here (he arrives Wednesday so I really only have 3 days before interrupting my exercise routine.)

I started the morning with a few stretches in bed for my heel and then rolling it. Ivy, I'm using an extra hand weight as my 'rolling pin', not quite the right diameter but will have to do until I think of something else. I've heard of using a frozen water bottle but that would mean walking to the kitchen and back before doing the therapy so I'll stick with this and see if it helps. So far so good, my foot doesn't hurt right now.

I did weigh myself yesterday and have gained 3 lbs since I left. Not bad for 6 weeks away and it is likely that might come off in the next day or two since I'm dehydrated from 2 days of flying. On the other hand, I only had 2 meals a day for the past 3 days.

Oops, feeling the knee now so will sign off and focus on the exercise.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am

Need to get back "on plan" with WW. Has been stressful few days and my eating has reflected the stress. On the plus side, I had almost 10K steps on Saturday, when we walked the ddog!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

Yesterday my exercise included a walk and stairs doing laundry and some other things in the basement like setting up the chick brooder and spiffing up thst area.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 am

I'm up in weight, too, my scale's distress flag is upside down ;) and I'm trying not to obsess about it. I have an appt with hormone dr Apr 7 and would like his eyebrows :| to stay put when he sees the scale number. Won't be long before primary expects to see me, too.

That's a good point about wondering WHY we sometimes don't go back to what worked before.

So thinking along those lines (and trying to remember computer-generated sites have no feelings and don't know if you forgive them or not), I decided to pull up the MyCalorieCounter again and just use it today for tracking and see how the day feels to me. No more trust in it for the long haul, but it can add and subtract :roll: faster than me for its " Fat Chol Sod Crb Fib Sug Pro Calories Activity" tracking, so why not use it. It's better than reinventing the wheel.

I may try low-calorie days Monday, Wednesday, Friday again. Usually felt quite well doing that.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes Harriet I too am thinking about re-starting some food med logging again for a bit to restart ome better habits.

I have cleaned the coop and gathered eggs watered hens and. Ade numerous trips up and down the stairs doing laundry.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Good luck with it, Nancy!

It occurred to me I should have mentioned that my own "what worked for me before" also includes counting sugar grams, of course. I won't forget that. And that dovetails right in with Grain Brain that I'm reading now and many other good books.

Good low-calorie day, 15 mins ttapp. all my water. all my supplements.

As I considered making this a low-calorie day, I glanced on-line and was delighted to find that Dr. James Johnson has released an update to his Alternate Day Diet book. I'm so glad to see him doing this - he deserves to be a part of this upsurge in his own ideas, which have been making others a lot of money, frankly. He very gently reminds the reader that he was by far the first to develop a diet that alternated low-cal and high-cal days and that in fact he patented the diet back in 2003 before anyone else had an idea of how humans would benefit from different calorie counts on alternating days. I'm reading the amazon "look inside" feature now.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

Barely made 5K steps yesterday but there was also the time spent on the bike and stretching which count as effort if not effective effort (that remains to be seen.)

I may need to make all SHE & other internet time happen on the treadmill during the day to bring my numbers up to the 10K a day I want. If each time I check in for 10 minutes or so I was on the treadmill that would help a lot. And since the battery on my laptop isn't long lasting, that would limit me to 30 minutes at a time for surfing so no getting distracted. Hmmmm, maybe that will be today's goal.

In the mornings I just use the laptop on the treadmill which is now at least 6 years old. I know its age because its password is based on Harriet's dd and she isn't 9 anymore! Its battery is basically dead (good for about 8 minutes) but it does well as an internet appliance on the treadmill. If I can be patient with how slow it is. It took 5 hours to update on Sunday because I hadn't used it for over 2 months.

I ate more carefully. There was still a can of Dr. Pepper but the other snack food was cashews so at least some health benefit along with the fat. Not enough veggies yet but there was enough water. And no other snacking through the day. Dinner was healthy. Lunch was a cheese & bacon sandwich so there's room for improvement there but there weren't any chips or fries.

Today won't be as virtuous. Chip wagon for lunch while we our in town to do our hair. I'll try and come up with a healthy dinner (I'm thinking I'll send dh for chinese and have a lasagna for myself with a large salad.)

I didn't receive the free calendar I usually get for the fridge so don't have meal planning organized yet. Will have to work on that today.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 am

I was down on my steps for last week - between a couple of snow days and a trip to Middle GA I just didn't get in enough steps. Trying to improve for this week.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Lets Talk Suplaments -I just took my vitamens: adult gummy vits., b-12 complex pills, calcium chews chololate truffle flavor, evening primrose oli caps horse more like pill size. :roll:

So what suplaments do you take?

Today I did yard work for my exercise.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Supplements:

Morning: Vitamin E, D, C, glucosamine/chondroitin and a multi

Evening: Vitamin E, calcium/magnesium, glucosamine/chondroitin. If I think I'm stressed out or sick I'll take a ZBEC (zinc, B, E and C to boost my immune system.)

Dh is the same plus cranberry capsules and Omega 3 in the morning and low dose aspirin in the evening.

I'm on the treadmill now but just for a few minutes. I missed my workout this morning so am hopping on the computer in here when I want to surf the net instead of sitting down.

Return to “Healthy Habits”