Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Walked a bit and did some spading after slipping but did not fall
must have strained something my back is hurting aired out the coop got the shutters to open
after I cleaned it out mucked outvthe run too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Nancy, hope you feel better fast. If you don't remember a particular moment you hurt, maybe you won't feel it long.

Today I had my big salad earlier in the day, for an early lunch. I included lots of cucumber!

For exercise today, T tapp stretch, then Zumba Live DVD, though not the whole thing - it's long. I really tried again to like Firm Ignite. But I end up criticizing it the whole time. There's no warm-up to speak of and it's too high-impact too soon. Realizing that, I cut it off and went straight to my stretch. I don't need an injury. Even Jillian gives more warm-up than that, and she's trying to kill me. ;)

Did you realize there are Pinterest pinners who have an interest in exercise videos and have pinterest pages for their favorite youtubes? Had never really thought of looking there, but with pinterest you find a page of larger still-photos of the videos you can see better than you can see them in a search. They will often have names/opinions under them from others who came in and agreed with the choice. So you are potentially steered well, with at least a few helpful recommendations before you view.

Stretch before doing new stuff! Hydrate! For instance, Zumba. There is Zumba instructional, and then there is Zumba that begins in the middle of a class with the trainers showing off their own wildest moves. That will make your backbone slip, and not in the happy Wilson Pickett sort of way. :| If you decide to do the Watusi, stretch first. :| Seriously.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:24 am

I am fine today aches and pains wise. Fighting a bit of a ug bs is up. I need more fiber my system is out of whack.

I needed more ex. Than I got yesterday. So I will keep that in ind today. But at least weather is helping. With the 2 kids here yesterday it was a challenge.

It is easier with just one.
Salad no dressing with deli chicken was dinner.
Sat.
Had my prune & hot cocoa granola bar next.
Trying to focus on more healthier foods.
Might need to get metamucial.

Shoveled out the run for exercise thie morning.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I can add another coin to my collection. Belly is definitely less bloated. Bra even fits better today. I have lots of outside work to do today including a great deal of digging. Will bet on my gazelle and do some sit-ups and planks as well.

I am being impatient... I can visually see results and want to hurry the weeks to come. Talking to myself to enjoy the process and my ability to stick to the plan. I remember the last time I did this with great success I felt the same way. I was 38 at the time and tired of being overweight. What drove me that time was the desire to see what I would look like as a thin adult for the first time in years.

Recently in thinking about that process long ago I realized I cut out all sugars and carbs except for diet comes and occasional apple or grapefruit. After I reached my goal... Which was to fit into my old beloved prom dress....I maintained my weight until daily migraine prevention meds and a dept. at work that loved sweets and covered our lunch table with daily sugar treats did me in.

Now my goal is to see if I can recover that girl from years ago :)
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Walked, did mat exercises, am eating normal foods, feel good, and my waist is now 36" and I'm 179 Lbs. :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:47 am

Harriet - I do chop up the fig. I add a few dried cranberries too as you mentioned it as a help for bladder issues. I avoid the 'new' sweeteners like stevia as it just turns on my sweet taste buds and I need them disengaged. Like Cowinkle - I do better off all things with added sugar. That includes honey too.
I stopped being so vigilant and went up 2k recently so am trying to get back to what I think is best for me weight for height.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:42 am

On the treadmill this morning after a break of several mornings. Did get my steps in each day except yesterday so I have been moving. I even walked 2 miles outside.

Dh used google to figure out our new grocery store is closer to our apartment building than the end of our street (about 2/3 of the way to the general store.) When we think of it in those terms that makes the grocery store a candidate for a daily walk just like we try to walk to the store daily.

Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to carry back a lot with us due to heat and weight (unless we remember to bring ice packs with us.) On the other hand, if we are going daily, we don't need to carry much. The biggest issue is dh's milk habit - here milk is sold cheaper in bulk so it is cheaper to buy 4 litres than to buy 2 litres. We drink about 12 litres a week which adds up to savings of about $12 per week, just buying the larger container. My club soda is also bought by the case and it is too heavy to carry a case that far. There are always 'old lady carts' although they change the nature of the walk since pulling something a distance is hard on neck/back/shoulders. I know this from walking with my luggage to hotels within 'easy' walking distance of train stations. Pulling something over rough sidewalks isn't as easy as it sounds.

I am looking forward to getting way more steps daily, just as I do when I travel. As Twins discovered, it is easy to get 10K when traveling and if you are touring around, 20K isn't out of the ordinary. When we go to Northern Europe (or New Zealand) we are struck by how few overweight (let alone obese) people we see. On the other hand, I was glad Hawaii was our first stop on the cruise so I could easily buy clothes to fit my now obese body. I have northern European ancestors so there is no genetic reason for me to be this size (and my parents and grandparents weren't obese but my sister and I both have been in our later years.) It is a combination of poor diet (too much processed food) and a more sedentary lifestyle especially this past 2 years due to health.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 am

Kathryn - My 'old lady cart' is easier to pull or push than luggage. Bigger wheels on them here. And if you don't have much in it the lower center of gravity helps a lot. Full to the brim is more difficult. Do your stores sell cheap insulated freezer bags? they fit in the bottom of the cart. I'd recommend getting ds to get one from c oles as they seem sturdier than the ones from w'worths if they don't sell them there in C. .The thickness of the plastic of the cart is insulating imo - and I add frozen veg to the milk/meat purchase if I think it will heat up on the way home.
When I was without a car and had far away appointments, I've bought shopping 3 hrs travel away and packed tight it in a canvas backpack, then had to walk 30min this end to get home. Summer time here and it was no picnic but the shopping survived - better than me at the time if the truth is known. Wish I had an old lady cart then.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I collected another coin today, but to be honest yesterday was difficult for me. I had a really bad sugar craving that lasted most of the day. For some reason the thought of not being able to take a coin off the wall and add it to my collection really helped me to stay motivated.

I've decided to up the anty. Starting tomorrow I will include either 1/2 hour on my gazelle or 8K daily steps along with staying with my plan to be able to collect a coin. However I also decided if I have a migraine and am unable to do either it will not effect my ability to collect my coin. Funny how a silly little coin can make such a difference.

Lynlee..you had me laughing about your old lady's cart. When I was teaching I was never without my computer box pull along cart. I would load it down with all my books and stuff. It was also the way I brought my water and soda bottles to class. Mondays I was always loaded down with a week's worth of stuff. I only owned two. Each one lasted at least 10 years and I still have the second one.

Ivy... way to go with your weight and waist measurements. I'm so impressed with your stick-to-it-ness :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Today's exercise included catching a squirrel in the chickens run, h. Released it 5 mi. Away in a safe place.
It was out there when I went out to finish cleaning the run and coop. Got that cleaned up moved a few bricks and watered the lawn in front. Waiting for clouds to clear out so I can fill in holes in the back yd. (H. Replaced slats on the chockens ladder. )

I also did 30 min. 8n the gazelle this a.m.

Return to “Healthy Habits”