Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 am

On treadmill now but not for long. I may have sold the desks and the person wants to come asap for them so I have to s2s. My goal is to get a mile in and then hopefully add to that in the afternoon with a walk for the mail. Yesterday I managed over 10K steps (barely.) That included sitting in the car for two of the stops.

Yesterday I went to my gmail and managed to recover all the fitbit emails since returning back in February. So have those averages. I'll check out the download of data as soon as I get my regular laptop back on the internet. Spent an hour last night and 10 minutes this morning trying to fix it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Thinking of lucylee's dmil and digestive woes. Of course seeing dr would be ideal, but in lieu of that... Probiotic capsules come to mind to restore the general health of the digestive system. My dmother was prescribed Benefiber during her recovery, to insure bulkier stools. Having water between meals (since dehydration needs to be avoided, but the meals probably will digest better without water in the tummy ). From Dr. Kenneth Yasny, Ph.D, on what to eat to help diarrhea, "Eat only cooked foods, lots of green vegetables, soup broth. Control your stress." He mentions fiber drinks as well. I'm sure there are lots of other experts out there who would be chiming in on websites, etc. Asking at a reputable vitamin store might yield more ideas.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 am

Spent my time on the treadmill trying to fix Chrome.

Computer woes are taking a minimum of an hour a day now. And that's before I have to completely set up a new computer. Sigh... At least I can be moving while working on some things.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 pm

:o Had a thought and checked my calendar. My next drs. appointment is 61 days from today. And lab tests are a few days before that. Yikes! I am up 5 lbs from last time I was there for labs and who knows where my cholesterol numbers are. I am taking my fish oil, lets just hope that worked a bit.

So, this is motivating. I have to do my best between now and then to at least get back to where I was last visit. She is NOT going to be happy with me if I have backslid.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:54 am

I have experienced an emotional whammy this week and the effect of it has shown up in my eating. You know how I was doing 5:2 (feast:fast)? Guess what happens when I don't do the 2 days of fast? Yup....nothing but feasting. Spurred by emotion = massive weight gain.

I'm frustrated that I try to lose weight over and over without long term success.

sooooo where do I go from here?
Quitting isn't an option.

I really need to GMAT

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 am

(((OKay))) Don't beat yourself up too much on a week's events. Some things are out of your control.
Some positives - you are aware of what is happening. You keep trying.

I'm not sure the fast / feast thing is something I could do, or that it would be good for me to do. I do know if I start on 'treat' food I break my self control button, so avoidance is my thing. I'm sure that is tougher when there is a busy rural country family life with lots of cooking for others. I recently put on a 4.4 pound - just eating a couple of extra dry figs and odd handfuls of cashews was the tipping point for me. Maybe - I did buy a some packets of GF biscuits - things like ginger nuts. Though I wasn't eating them by the 1/2 packet like I have been known to do with 'special treat' biscuits / cookies.
Edging back down - slow progress here. At least I'm trying not to go back up.

Can I suggest a food diary - post it.
If you have never looked at low glucose index foods - see if that could help. It promotes slow release foods so theres not the peaks and valleys of bs.

walked 3k.
fallen branch -sawing - using loppers other exercise to work up a sweat. I still need to use my legs to leaver the loppers - 2 hands on the other handle - where the wood is thicker.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Oh, OKay you posted my story under your name.

I got lots of extra veggies in the store today. Had my awful first-day-back-on-the-diet. Know it will get better. At least I hope. Pickle "stackers" have 0 calories 0 carbs 0 fat...how is that there has to be something to them. Oh, it's the salt. Salt spears in acid-producing vinegar. That's the ticket.

Arrgh! I can do this I can do this I can do this...

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 am

OKay, the trick is to find an eating plan that works all the time, not just when things are going well.

You have two choices: 1) find another plan or 2) forgive yourself and restart this plan.

My concern was 500 calories didn't seem enough to live on (even if just for a day) in real life with the energy required. If I'm sick and lying around, no problem, but when I'm up and moving, I want to balance that activity with healthy fuel. I'm also not convinced it was really weight loss and not water weight.

Although, what is real weight loss. It certainly has nothing to do with calorie intake in my case since I've cut over 300 a day (600 most days) for the past 4 weeks and have seen not a budge in my weight. Also increased my activity during that time. I don't see any change in my eating habits other than the drop in calories from no longer drinking soda so it isn't as if I'm eating more of something else to compensate. If anything, I've cut snacking dramatically as well. Meals aren't any larger, either (meat tends to be prefrozen in single servings and those are the same servings as before.)

I'll stick with the exercise just because I'm starting to feel better and sleeping better at night (which I think is helping with less snacking in the day since I'm not eating because I'm tired.) But at this point no-one can convince me I won't be obese the rest of my life since any efforts I've made to change that have been unsuccessful. So I'll go for fat and fit.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 am

I'm frustrated that I try to lose weight over and over without long term success.

Yes. I keep thinking that when I'm done as president I'll GMAT; hoping to be realistic 'cause my life won't change overnight.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Well I'm sticking to my no sugar plan... I like any diet that says I can either have a glass of red wine or a square of chocolate daily. Down ten lbs... Thanks for noticing and your comments Norma ;-)

My nightly dessert has now become de-caf coffee with 1/2 & 1/2 plus my chocolate which has to be more than 70%
I can eat plain Greek yogurt, 3 oz, mixed with truvia and a small amount of berries every other day. I can also have my skinny muffin, which is so filling I can't eat the whole thing in one sitting, every other day.

Yesterday I totally blew it but I'm ok with it. In the town where the art festival was there was a Steak & Shake that just opened. Now I haven't eaten at a steak and shake since I lived in fl which was more than 38 years ago so I took the opportunity to eat there. Later after we joined our friends I also had a beer.

Big deal...not its only one day in my life...

So today for lunch I had a turkey/cheese sandwich with lettuce for bread. I'll have almonds for snacks later on today and chix and green beans. I get plenty to eat and can even eat out any where and still stay focused and on plan.

What I want to start focusing on now is more exercise, but these headaches tend to get in my way... Boooo
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”