Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Ivy

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Postby Ivy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:23 pm

I walked a VERY brisk cardio 1-mile walk in 20 minutes with my trekking poles today. It was heavenly. Am trying to build up stamina and upper body strength. :idea:

They I went and had pizza for dinner. <SIGH> :oops: :roll: :o
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 am

My thoughts and observations after following 5:2 for one week.

This is super easy. After getting past my anxiety (fear?) of reducing food for a day I found I really enjoyed the experience.

I ate out seven times during the week with two of those meals being family celebrations..... plus I enjoyed going out to eat ice cream TWICE this week. Normally a week like this would result in a major weight gain. However, the scales show a 1.6 lb weight loss for the week.

instead of feeling guilty when I eat abundance of food I am enjoying it because it is "feast" day.

I fasted yesterday so I only have one more day to do this week.

I am continuing to track food & nutrition because I want to know the numbers.
1366 = daily average calorie count for last week

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Yesterday's ex. Was moving concrete blocks.
Today yd. Work and a walk.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Managed 25 minutes of Zumba today, taking a break during. I did the 20-minute one from 2007 and then scanned the net for a few fun amateur ones to try in case I'd like to do some of them instead of the instructionals sometimes.

Got my blood work done for the hormone dr.

Nancy, I hope you had gloves! I don't mind moving blocks if I have gloves!

OKay, sounds like your up days were the successes, in that you didn't particularly overeat. Happy you are feeling good about it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Harriet Yes I had gloves.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am

Ended up with 6700 steps on average last week. Got my weekly summary from fitbit this week.

Twins do you find the fitbit website very slow when you ask to see what your stats are? For me, it takes over a minute each time I ping it for an update. And the other thing that annoys me is that my screen will say "updated 7 mins ago" but that is only the time after my last refresh (so refreshing the screen often doesn't actually ping my fitbit.) I'm still not sure how to force a ping since following the instructions certainly doesn't work for me all the time.

All in all, I like it but it is $100 here and I would never recommend it to anyone because the price vs a regular pedometer at 1/3 the price isn't worth it for the sleep function (which is approximate at best) and stairways which aren't accurate in wind or on a ship.The worst part is the stats it keeps are not the stats I want. And the graphs choose bizarre scales (i.e. if I do 10K steps one day 5K, the next, the scale starts at 4k so the graph shows one day of virtually no steps and one day of 1/2 way up the scale instead of 1 day of full on the scale and one day half - there is no visual indication of the ratio between the days, what is really 1/2 looks like 20%)

I've been deleting the emails so I don't even have the weekly average step info.

Yes, all in all, not a winner. If I have to transfer their numbers to my own spreadsheet, I may as well do that from a regular pedometer (my last one kept data for 8 days so I wouldn't have to update the spreadsheet daily if I didn't want to.

Yesterday (first day of new week) did only 5K steps. Meant to walk to the store but that fell through so I was short those 4K steps and never made it to the treadmill in the evening.

Today I'm on the treadmill for just a mile this morning in order to start the day with something. I'll be out for a lot of the day so will have to walk lots, hopefully that will work for me and get the numbers up without having to return to the treadmill.

Weight is constant. That is despite no soda (and juice is now cut out as well, that was just for the transition) and averaging over 5K steps a day and for 2 weeks of that over 8K steps a day. Sigh....

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:51 pm

RE: fitbit conversation - these instructions give the step to download the data from fitbit.com to a spreadsheet. I used it to download all information from 1/1/2013. My spreadsheet of fitbit data is daily automatically updated at midnight.

Last week I received an email from the fitbit fellas saying they were doing updates and making some changes. I don't notice any speed changes when I go to their website but maybe I'm just not paying close attention.

Yesterday I was emotional and used that excuse to over-eat. :oops:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:31 pm

I have not been wearing my Fitbit consistently. Somehow, I left it on pants and for a couple of days it seemed like I couldn't find it. Then it wouldn't sync yesterday a.m. I spent some time today researching and realized that resetting it was possible, and that did the trick.

I need to look at OKay's instructions for downloading to a spreadsheet. Kathryn, I rarely go to the Fitbit website, usually I access the app on the iPad. (Just used technology and clipped instructions to Evernote to download the Fitbit data to the Google spreadsheet.)

I am eating like crazy. I want the weather to warm back up. Dh also commented that I need to use my Y membership....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Well..I'm still not eating sugar, although I have had a few bites here and there. My pedometer was acting very strange there for a while. Would work fine and then cancel out what my steps were in the middle of the day. Took me a while to figure out it was the battery. Now I need to get a new one.

I like not eating sugar, not hard for me to stay within limits, I just hate that I can't have a diet soda while out. I do order sparkling water, but not all places carry it. I can drink ice tea, but the caffeine will keep me awake if I drink it too late in the day. I drink non-caffeine tea at home.

For y'all with iphones, I've been using an app called "lose weight with hypnoisis" There is both a free and a pay for app. I use it when I go to sleep at night. Don't know how much its helping me stay away from sweets, although I do find I am not craving them near as much. However, I am falling a sleep much faster while listening to the app. :D

Exercise is hit or miss for me at the moment...with these headaches I never know how I will feel when waking up. Most morning I find myself with a headache...only good thing is I know this is a temporary problem. Spring is the worst time for my headache cycles.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 pm

I have done my walk.

Return to “Healthy Habits”