Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 am

Looked up grocery carts and have possibly selected one. Designed locally by a company that we love (Lee Valley Tools) and we have never been disappointed with the quality of their goods or their standing behind both the things they manufacture and the things made by others that they sell. Once I bought a triple shaft pen (pen, pointer, highlighter) from them and months later received a highlighter refill in the mail. Turns out some of the cartridges were faulty and they had no way of knowing which ones so sent out new cartridges to everyone who had bought a pen. (This is a store with membership so they know who they sold things to.)

My garden cart, many of my garden tools, my good tea, our hand pump action sump pump (for when power is out), dh's space pen, our emergency radio (solar and crank powered) and my Swiss Army Card all come from them. Along with a lot of my good kitchen tools. They started as a woodworking tool company and a lot of the things my dad made us have parts from there, but they've expanded into garden and kitchen as well. Whatever gets the owner (or his wife, family or friends) excited.

On the treadmill again this morning. I made my goal of an average of 8K steps a day last week. Can't decide if I should up the goal or add in a food challenge. My food challenge half way through the week was to give up soda with HFCS and I've done that. My juice intake is down to about 4 oz a day as I've adjusted to the change so calorie savings should be in the 300 calories a day. I should be down a pound by Wednesday if calories in = weight gain but we all know that's a lie. BTW: I'm up 2 pounds since Ash Wednesday so far. Which just goes to reinforce my personal observation that I eat less when drinking HFCS, not more. I noted this on the ship as well (went without for the first couple of weeks and then added coke in because of some reason, probably tummy, and discovered I could I was less tempted by the sweets at afternoon tea and lunch.

I didn't want to get on but did and am glad I did so far. No travel outside the house today and I wasn't sure if I'd get 8K steps just working on the basement. I still have the paperwork so the morning will be sedentary.

BTW Twins, I don't wear pjs but I do pin the fitbit to the pocket of my dressing gown in order to capture those extra steps before I get dressed.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:01 am

Earned another coin this morning. Yesterday started my new challenge. I did 60 minutes on my gazelle. Wore my pedometer but I don't think it was calculating correctly. Moved from my front pocket to my hip this morning.

Still haven't stepped on the scale, but I've had to move my bra hook from the first set to the third. Also I am now wearing a different pair of jeans. I have two pair same size but fit differently. Before I started the jeans I am now wearing were to tight and uncomfortable to wear.

I find collecting coins are far more motivating than stepping on the scale. Go figure. My wall is filled with these coins and I think it has something to do with watching it get smaller while the glass where I am placing the coins is getting bigger. Maybe it's the visual, I'm a visual learner, of the amount of coins on the wall decreasing works as a reminder that the same thing is happening with my weight whether it's 1/4 lb or more. Whatever it is, it's working :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Water break after raking the back yd. And getting trash cans emptied and refilled, did a walk today and transplanted a few bulbs also spring time weather is here now got the last hose out.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Todays exercise included moving dirt to the Iow spot in the back yard, emptying two trash cans, clearing leaves raking and taking a brisk walk before dinner.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 am

WTG Cowinkie!

I'm on the treadmill again today, trying a much higher incline than usual in order to keep my heart rate up.

Yesterday I only got 6K steps in so today I have to do about 10K in order to meet my goal of 8.2K per day for this week.

Yesterday was a heavy eating day, as well. The stress of letting things go is affecting my comfort eating. Specifically lots of carbs.

I'm home alone all day today so don't know how that will affect my eating.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 pm

I was not as active today. I did some spading with dgd the hens loved getting worms from that. I still need to do my walk.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm

I was active today, plus walked 1 hour, and my weight's gone down to 176 Lbs. so that's minus 109 Lbs. since 1990. Before I'm done, I'll have lost an entire person. :lol:

I think getting rid of "fat clothes" and getting clothes, which fit nicer on me, is a motivator, as well as earning those feel-good endorphins, which enhance mood and make me feel better about myself. :)

Also, when I exercise, I seem to get more done on the house and other projects.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

I keep trying to get started losing weight by doing the same thing over and over, however I'm not having long lasting results. Sooooo....

I'm trying something different (for me). I have seen reports of success with the ADF (Alternate Day Fasting). However, doing it every other day seemed overwhelming to me. However, reading about it lead me to the 5:2 plan. This is eating normal 5 days a week and very low (under 500 calories) for the other 2 days. I think I can do this. I need to do something to get me jump started!!

Today is my first low calorie day. Time will tell if I'm going to be able to do this.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 am

OKay - you get so busy - It might help to pick your low cal days. Though one of the others who does it might be a better giver of advice.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 am

I survived my first low calorie day. I didn't have any problem until my ongoing dratted bedtime snacking habit hit. I did have a few calories left so I ate an apple and then I was good to go. I did go over my calorie goal for the day (500) but not my much. I ate 524 calories.

Breakfast = Fiber One Chewy Bars - Oats & Chocolate 1 bar - 140 calories plus 26 calories for vitamins & coffee
Lunch was eating out - I ordered a vegetable plate - Salad with salsa as dressing, green beans, sliced tomatoes, grilled onions = 93 calories
Dinner was a huge bowl of homemade chicken/veg soup = 192 calories
Bedtime snack - apple (72 calories)

I woke up feeling good and energy level is up. The scales show a 3.6 weight loss from yesterday but I know that probably 3.5 of that was water. STILL. It was nice to see some positive action on the scales.

Today I'm suppose to eat normal - they suggest eating 2000 calories. I'm not a bit hungry but I'm going to give it a try.

Lynlee - I agree. I moved one of the low calories day to Sunday since that is the one day of the week that I don't cook. I will be visiting DSon & family the last part of this week so want to do the 2nd low calorie day before I leave....maybe on Wednesday

Return to “Healthy Habits”