Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2014

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 am

OKay, best wishes to you! I always feel so good after a low-calorie day - a light feeling, and so good for the health, the brain, etc. I like the plan the originator (Dr. Johnson) suggested to people who have school or weekday/weekend household responsibilities... .. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. That was always more do-able and easier to remember for me/us than every-other-day. But every day you happen to make a lower calorie day is a success - just not two back-to-back. I wish I could just loan to you, through cyberspace, my new copy of the revised Alternate Day Dietthat just arrived here. Would certainly recommend the "look inside" feature at Amazon. I never went below 500 calories, and my go-to limit number for a "down" day is 800.

Recently, of course, I've let alternate eating and lots of good ideas fall by the wayside as we experienced a hugely stressful month (or more) with so much time at hospital, planning end-of-life and funeral things/guests/social. Maybe I'll start that back.

At a sewing blog I came upon this daily illustrated healthy habits printable. (Guess you could check off or color in.) Also found this page of printable (or excel) charts to just keep track of weight, if anyone is interested. One has a chart.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Ex. Is yd. Wk. Here this week.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 am

Harriet - thank you for sharing those links. Excellent!

I didn't hit the 2000 calories yesterday. However i went through the day feeling like I was over eating (thinking of those two slices of bread slathered in butter that I ate and enjoyed!!). I ended up with 1322 calories. This morning I had an expected gain (1.4 lbs) from yesterday huge weight loss however when the weigh-in is charted the downward direction shows that it is meeting my goal.

Today is another "feast" day before I do my 2nd fasting day tomorrow. I find it interesting and a tad surprising that I'm looking forward to the fasting day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:09 am

Interested in Okay's experiment.

Haven't weighed myself in weeks and won't today because of pizza last night.

I'm on the treadmill but going slow so getting no benefit I can think of except # of steps. Too slow for heart strengthening or fat burning. I'm barely warm, maybe a 'glow' but no perspiration or sweating.

Three days of inactivity frustrated me to no end. Monday was the worst since we did walk to and from the store (1 mile) and did grocery shopping at 4 stores and I still barely crossed 5K steps. Got 4K on Sunday (no time for workout in the morning so it was just church, then long drive, then sitting at dd's.) Yesterday I got across 5K but would not have without having walked around the car in circles while waiting for dh to pay for the gas. I think I got 500 steps from that.

Today I'll be lucky to get 7K and my weekly goal of averaging 8200 is shot since two days are already gone and I don't think my knees would tolerate 5 10K days in a row.

Slept well last night. I'm looking forward to what the fitbit says. Was in bed for over 8 hours which surprised me. Due to the pizza, I had 5 glasses of water between dinner and bedtime!

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:52 am

Yesterday feast day resulted in a total of 1493 calories. The scales this morning showed a .6 lb gain, however the excel graph shows that I'm still on track to lose 2 lbs a week. We shall see.

Today is a fast day - my goal is to stay below 500 calories. I woke up hungry this morning which makes me uninterested and unmotivated to do this.....however I really want to give this a 5:2 way of eating a chance to work. My desire to see the numbers develop over several days/weeks trumps my lack of interest & motivation. So I will fast today.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:41 am

Not doing well with walking or with wearing Fitbit, and when I read Kathryn's post I realized I didn't receive the weekly report from Fitbit on Monday evening. I didn't wear it at all on Sunday - when we left to ATL and then the meeting I hadn't put it on. I really can't count on ddogs to help much, dMacs is so slow my insides are screaming by the time I'm done and I don't want to put more time into walking Moses around the circle again.

Likewise, eating has not been good. I'm back up probably around where I was when I started WW last fall.

Last Friday massage therapist was making suggestions for getting in more exercise once term as president is done next month.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 am

I walked last night.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 pm

I managed a nearly sugar-free day, with only a small slice of thin-crust pizza to criticize - so thin it was almost the cheese that was holding it together. So I'm happy. Celery, scrambled eggs, one slice bacon, tossed salad with only sour cream for dressing, small serving pintos, small serving potatoes, skinny muffin with organic blueberries, that slice of pizza. I realize there were enough carbs there, certainly, but I'm happy with the the types of carbs. T Tapp basic today. All supplements and water.

Threw out the remainder of that pizza since dd15 had finished her meal and wasn't crazy about it, either. It's not horrible, but it isn't worth space in the fridge as a decent leftover.

Happy for everyone. Lots of good plans. Twins' Mom, this will be a good time of year to have a change in your responsibilities. Sunshine, warmth, inspiration.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Wtg gals! I walked tonight.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 am

I've been active, my weight's going down, but I'm not setting my timer to get that daily 30-minute walk in and haven't been stretching and/or doing yoga/Pilates either. I'm glad I'm active, but I need to get back on track, especially with my core. I've been "off" for about 4 days now. :oops: But I get up and down from my office chair and great room chair, am active around the house and am moving more. I just not doing the constructive exercises, like I was being so good at. :?
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Healthy Habits”